PDA

View Full Version : Scared of having a Phaeochromocytoma...

Ella_Jayne
04-04-10, 19:19
I only came across this about a week or so ago. A few months ago my doc asked me to do a 24hour urine test to rule out the possibility of excess adrenaline in my system or something like that... I never got round to doing it as I moved country and recently I Googled conditions that cause excess adrenaline and came across a Phaeochromocytoma which is a rare tumor on your adrenal gland that causes anxiety, sweating, high BP, nausea bacisally every symptom to do with anxiety.

I'm beside myself with worry now as I'm convinced I caould have this. Has anyone else ever come across this? How rare is it? I'm 21 and otherwise healthy. What are the chances that I could have this... I'm going to my doc on Tuesday to suggest getting a 24hour urine test but in the meantime I'm finding it hard to talk myself down.

countrygirl
04-04-10, 20:30
I mentioned this to my Dr a few weeks ago as I keep getting adrenaline surges when I am trying to go to sleep at night. He said as I had had an ultrsound of my kidneys only a few months ago then it was very unlikely to be a tumour as it would show up as an enlarged adrenal gland on your kidney during ultrasound - he is sending me for another 24 ecg ( I have had ectopics for 20 yrs) as I keep getting very fast heartrate whenever I am in a medical setting and he also said that after that he would get me to do a 24 hr urine test but not until afte the ecg???? I think this was for my peace of mind as he didn't think it was at all likely.

Remember that this is extremely rare and even if you were one of the rare ones it completely benigh and not cancerous anyway.

If it will calm you down then ask for the urine test - I am certainly going to make sure I get it again for my peace of miind.

Kirst24
04-04-10, 21:13
Hi there,

I have a thyroid problem but my endo wanted to check for this too because of the anxiety I was having(even though he was rather silly and didn't realise anxiety can be a symptom of underactive thyroid too...). Anyway I did 24 hour urine test and it all came back clear... it is so so so rare and very unlikely you do have it. When people have it they have blood pressure which goes through the roof, not just a bit high.

I get those adrenaline surges too and mine came back totally clear so i'm sure you will be fine.

Kirst xx

lindajane1971
04-04-10, 22:00
Hi Ella,
My GP also spoke to me about this as ive been getting adrenaline rushes a lot,
He also told me it was extremly rare and that i had no other symptoms at all but that while he was checking my blood for other stuff, he would test for that which came back clear and he then mentioned the urine test, but i aint received any word yet that i am getting that test.
Of course the word tumour is enough to strike the fear into anyone even if they are benign!!!
If you want the test to put your mind at rest then go ahead and get it done, Ive managed to put this to the back of my mind and almost forget about it as it really is very rare.
Dont worry too much about it please

x

guitarpants
05-04-10, 06:02
Here's the thing, it's very rare. On top of that, your symptoms would probably be more extreme. It is something that gets consistently worse, not come and go. It's pretty easy for a endocrinologist to determine.

AND even if you had it, it's very easy to treat with surgery. It's definitely not the end of the world.

Ronny
05-04-10, 08:22
Hi Ella....I have had all that you have mentioned,and have had a 24h,wee test which came back ok.i have underactive thyroid,which has similar symptoms.Also I am going through menopause which sucks,my useless Dr,did'nt bother about this it was only when they did a hormone level test that they picked it up.Don't go worrying I think you will be fine...
Rhonda:flowers: