PDA

View Full Version : Train tomorrow. Words of Encouragement?

jenjen210
04-04-10, 22:14
Hi guys,

Long story short I'm having a relapse of panic attacks which started 5 years ago. I tackled it and was a lot better but it has come back. One of the most annoying of my demons is going on trains myself! As I live somewhere u have to get trains everywhere I'm sure u can understand how much of an annoyance this is!

Anyway I started having panic attacks on trains again :( This week I'm on holiday so am going to try and tackle it. Any words of advice or encouragement from anyone? Feeling a bit low just now and would be great to have a pick me up!

Thanks

xx

Veronica H
04-04-10, 22:34
:bighug1:I feel your pain. What I did when I was at my worst was to tell myself that I could get off at the next stop if I wanted and then get back on later....I stayed on. I took my ipod and some bottled water also something to read. If you panic then remember that this is an internal struggle and although we think people notice they rarely do. These feelings can not harm you so let them flash through you and stand your ground. Each time you travel you will replace your negative memories with more positive ones. Let us know how it goes.

Veronicax

margaret jones
04-04-10, 22:35
Hi jen i am sure you will be fine what about listening to music / doing a x word or some other distraction and make the first journey a short one then build up each day if possible
Good luck and Take Care Maggie

jenjen210
05-04-10, 17:28
Hey everyone. Managed to get the train. I went with my mum so wasnt alone but I found it pretty hard. It's the 1st time ive been on since having a major panic attack on one a few weeks ago so hopefully things will get better with time!

Jannie2948
05-04-10, 17:33
I know that exact feeling, have to do it every day for work, but the more you do it the better it gets. I had a panic attack at work and had to get a train home, I was terrified but I did it. I struggle some days but most days I either read or listen to my ipod. Got some lovely relaxing music and the 24 minute journey soon goes.

You will get there, it just takes time and perseverance and a little bit of courage, but I am sure you will get there one day at a time, or should I say one train station at a time :)

All the very best to you.

Jannie x x

Veronica H
05-04-10, 20:58
:yesyes:well done Jen. Do it as often as you can now. This will get better.

Veronicax

jenjen210
05-04-10, 21:08
Thanks every1 :) I'm actually going on the train again 2morrow with a friend, I have been prescribed propranlol for flying along with valium. I still have some propranolol left and was thinking about taking it before the train journey, does any1 know if this will take the edge off the panic?

Its so nice to know other ppl have problems on the train. Well not nice I wish none of us had it! But its good to know im not alone in dealing with it.

xx

loulabell
05-04-10, 21:39
Hi Jen
When i used to fear being trapped in a situation while travelling away from home either flying or on a train i found it helped if i broke the journey time down in my mind so if the journey was for 1hr i would break it down into 4 x 15 mins, i dont know why but it did make me feel abit better as each 15mins passed i new i was getting nearer the end of the journey. I also used to take a tape recording of Dr Claire Weekes i dont know whether youve read any of her books or listened to her tapes but they are very good. Also having a mobile phone with you to ring someone to distract you if you feel panicky should help. Hope this is of any help to you.
Louise

daydreamer
05-04-10, 21:53
Hi Jen.

some good suggestions have been made. Carry on going on them now as much as you can! Also if it isnt too long a journey, standing up by the door can help avoid that trapped feeling you might get if someone sits next to you.

Also someone mentioned knowing that you can get off at the next stop if you need to, that was a big help to me when I was travelling a lot and I even did it once or twice! also helps to prevent that trapped feeling if thats what brings on the panic.

As for the propranolol, yep they will stop your heart from racing so will probably help avoid a full blown panic attack, and like you said if they have worked for you when flying then they should work for you whlist travelling by train! Im sure tomorrows journey will be easier that the one you did today and you coped with that so try not to worry! good luck :)

SarahG
07-04-10, 22:18
Following on from what Loulabell said about breaking the journey down into 15 minute sections: Have you thought about actually timing each stage of your journey so you know exactly when the next station/stop is and how many minutes until you COULD get off if you wanted to? Firstly, actually spending time timing and making a note of this would pass a whole journey in itself plus I always feel happier if I know I COULD remove myself from the situation if I really needed to.

jenjen210
08-04-10, 16:01
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the advice. Got the train home alone today which was a big step, it was quiet so I think I delt with it ok. I actually remember when I had panic attacks before breaking the journey down into what i see, like a field, a big tree, 3 tunnels etc etc but maybe actually timing it would be a good idea too! I never thought of that one!

x