PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it strange...

agnes
04-04-10, 22:47
how a panic attack can take you over completely and yet, when you've been okay for a while, you can't quite remember just how it awful it is until you get another one? This is how it's been for me this evening and, as it lessens a little, I'm amazed that I hadn't remembered fully how overwhelming and intense it is. All my best laid plans for coping with panic just disappeared completely!

It reminds me a little of how most women swear they'll never have another child after the pain of giving birth, and yet a lot of us do because we forget. And that makes me wonder if panic attacks, however terrible they might be and how little control we seem to have over them, have an underlying positive intention, but we can't quite see it?

Or maybe I'm just blindly rambling after this evening's horror!

Angelai
05-04-10, 12:58
Back when we were hunter/gatherers the fight or flight response was a very positive thing - unfortunately quite a lot of us (it seems!) aren't able to process the rush of chemicals that are no longer needed... It certainly makes me feel alive, though, so maybe THAT is a positive - if you know what I mean?

Typer
05-04-10, 15:40
I agree, it is the fight or flight rush that seems to get out of whack. It happens when there is no danger or even perceived danger. Its as though our body has lost its equilibrium or something.

I guess this is why CBT may be so useful...perhaps it retrains mind and therefore body to respond appropriately and perhaps gets some balance back.

Positive affirmations are closely linked to CBT and overriding messages. Amieekid - your Mum did some CBT with you

agnes
05-04-10, 19:50
Thank you for reminding me about the flight or fight response. I've applied it to my responses last night which were, to mention a few...wanting to run away, not being able to sit and concentrate, wanting to go to the loo, hot and cold...these all followed the initial thoughts that I had about a fairly minor health anxiety.

So, it seems that it was the initial thought about my health that started it all.

e_ramon
06-04-10, 01:34
Yeah it's a very true and valid point. I can't quite describe them to people from memory. And whenever it happens, I'm never totally sure if it's actually a panic attack until afterwards, when I feel better.