PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss

mike-uk
05-04-10, 11:53
Typical how this HA can really mess up our minds isnt it?

Since my 1st post I have been feeling better and convinced myself that I don't have pancreatic cancer etc etc. Oddly enough, as soon as my mind was convinced my appetite immediately came back. Went from a week of barely eating at all to my normal appetite. Great.

Now, I can feel myself slipping again. Over the last few days people have asked me if I am loosing weight. I was asked by 2 seperate people yesterday! My brother inlaw said the same thing last thursday. My sister also thought the same thing but thought it best not to mention anything. My other sister and her partner mentioned it a few weeks ago also. Now I am a little scared because I am not trying to loose weight at all. As I said, my appetite is back to normal.

When i do weigh myself it seems to fluctuate a little each time. a few years ago when I was infact trying to loose weight by going to the gym I was around 12 stone but could never seem to shed much at all. Now, yesterday I was 11.2 stone. I dont excersise and eat whatever I feel like, junk food also.

I am not going to google this because I know what it will point to but does anyone know of anything else that could be causing this?

countrygirl
05-04-10, 12:31
I have read that Doctors only become concerned if you lose 10% of your total weight in a couple of months. when you were going to the gym you would have developed muscle and muscle weighs about twice that of fat so you can be very heavy but have not alot of fat - hence body builders etc- this is the reason the BMI index is not foolproof for telling if someone is overweight.

also if you didn't eat normally for a week then you will lost weight the week after as there is a time delay in weight loss so you probbly have lost a few pounds from your not eating for a week.

Its a case of watch and wait - weight yourself once a week only at same time in same state of dress or undress and over about 4 weeks see if you are losing large amounts of weight IF you are eating normally. If you are ot eating normally then of coruse you will lose weight.

Red1984
05-04-10, 13:35
I have the same problem. I have lost about 6 kilos in about 3 months which is just under 10% of my body weight (was 76kg now 70kg). At first i was really worried but then I realized that I have been so anxious that I had lost my appetite. Over the past couple of days I have really started to feel like the cloud of anxiety is starting to lift and guess what? appetite back! But the weight has already been lost I'm not sure about you but it will take a while for me to put the weight back on.

I checked and your first post was less then a month ago and a week of barely eating will actually cost you a fair bit of weight. So you probably just haven't put it back on yet. I wouldn't worry about it to much :)

blondie47
05-04-10, 13:50
When I was younger and having HA flare-ups, the weight would fall off me too. For starters, when the appetite is waxing and waning, its going to trigger weight loss. Even if you are eating this week, you weren't last week, and it takes the body awhile to catch up. Secondly, your body goes into fight/flight mode, so your body and mind is so tight and is racing. Even though your legs aren't moving, you may as well be running a 60-yard dash pretty much day in and day out. That sort of emotional response burns calories! I don't notice this as much now that I am older and its harder to lose weight. Although I am shocked when I get on the scale and haven't lost any weight, because my body sure feels like it should have.

MightyPC
05-04-10, 17:02
Mike, can sympathise with you. I find that I cannot eat like I use to, do not really want to eat and believe that im off my appetite, though I can eat if I have to. I noticed my jeans and trousers becoming very loose around the backside, my boxers are less tight and the socks do not leave an inprint on my ankles, infact they fall down. My shirts are baggy up top though seem to be tighter around the gut. People have commented to me about having lost weight, infact I lost 2kgs in about 6 days. The last time I jumped on the scales, 4 weeks ago I was 82kgs though my arms and legs are skinnier, its seems my muscles are going. Drs do not seem interested and my face is not drawn. I have also not had an alcoholic drink for 3 weeks and cut right back since Feb. I find it hard to believe that anxiety can make you lose your appetite and lose weight, especially as it use to be very hard for me to shift weight.

jackvinsly
31-05-10, 10:30
When I was younger that time I having a around 102 wight. But day by day I was feel like very bad. Then I was very consciouses to do reduce my body wight. You know right now I just to got 78 kg weight in a one years. I was just to eat some vegetable food and tow time juice in a day