PDA

View Full Version : how long on medication?

pink17
05-04-10, 14:51
Just wondering how long people are usually on antidepressents for,i have been on them since the begining of dec,and im more or less back to my old self!Is it normal with depression to still have your days where one minute really happy the next feeling weepy and low?Because i get this at least a couple of times a week.

JT69
05-04-10, 15:02
Hi Pink,

GP's usually like you to stay on anti-depressants for at least 6 months after you are feeling well again, sometimes longer. I think it is normal to have the days as you describe, but not sure if you should be feeling this way a couple of times a week. This indicates to me that you are certainly not ready to come off the anti-depressants. Have you spoken to your GP about how you are feeling? It may be that you need the dose adjusting so you feel fine most of the time.

When you say you are more or less back to your old self did you feel weepy and low a couple of times a week before you became ill?

It is a hard one to call, but I would certainly not come off the meds yet and I would go back to your GP and chat to him about how you are feeling hun.

Take care and glad you feeling more your old self.
Jo

pink17
05-04-10, 15:15
i used to be feeling low everyday but now the meds are working its about a couple of times a week can b a bit low,and that tends to be in the evening,to be honest im feeling happier than i have been in a long time,im dating a guy at the moment.But because im feeling happy i keep thinking something is going to go wrong and this guy wont want to date me anymore!i always look on the negative because something always seems to go wrong!

JT69
05-04-10, 15:24
Hi Pink,

Well that is great for you...at least you have a big improvement. I think it is understandable to feel as you do after suffering depression....you are happy again and you just think that bubble is going to burst!!! Not fair is it??

I am glad you are happy and I am sure your guy will carry on dating you, its natural to look on the negative side....you will be fine...you see.

Take care hun.
JO.xx Stay happy!!!

pink17
05-04-10, 15:26
Thanks Jo!you take care too x

Hel_is_heaven
06-04-10, 13:44
Pink,
I have been on antidepressants for 8 years (varying doses). As you are up and down, I would say carry on for a little longer with them. If you do want to stop them to see how you are without them, perhaps consult your doctor and he will recommend how to wean you off them, or he will recommend that you carry on with them.
Helen x