PDA

View Full Version : slight numbness in face

basicboy
05-04-10, 16:06
for the past 2-3 months ive been getting a slight numb feeling on the left side of my face(cheek,temple,lips,around my eye)
its like when you go to the dentist and have the injection to numb your mouth its like the feeling you get when its wearing off. i used to get it every so often but now its every couple of days maybe sooner. it usally lasts between a few mins or sometimes an hour or two.
also sometimes i get a slight tingling of my left hand but its only very slight.
ive made an appointment with my docs but its not for another month.
does anyone know what it could be.

Carys
05-04-10, 16:43
Could it perhaps be that you are holding your left side more tensely than the right ( are right handed ?). I find that I have a tendency to clench my jaw on the left side of my face during times of anxiety and always feel general aching and odd sensations in the left arm and leg, as I am far too busy using the right side as I am right-handed lol.

laurabee
05-04-10, 18:51
I get this too! And in the last few days I've been getting a burning pain around my chin on one side, and have noticed a small pale mark on the skin like it's been bleached. Have got in a panic that it's skin cancer. Will try to see doc but I don't think they take me seriously any more.

Ronny
06-04-10, 04:45
Hi it all sounds like anxiety symptoms,I went to the DR's thinking there was something wrong with me,as the numbness in the face and tingling in hands and feet were new.I had all sorts of tests and all came back negative.My Health Psychologist told me to start breathing properly again.I am sure once you get checked out you will be fine.:D
Rhonda

*Mj*1975
05-05-13, 03:22
:( I know that feeling all too well

anxious_thoughts
05-05-13, 03:43
I have really bad brain tumour anxiety and I had that feeling a few weeks ago, but it was more like pins and needles all over my face and pressure in my right eye.
I went to the doctors and he told me it was all due to anxiety, the tingling went away right after I got out of the doctors office. Must have been his reassurance. I can't say yours is anxiety for sure, but there is a good chance it could be.

applewine
16-05-14, 18:36
I get a slight numbness / decreased sensation / tingling (maybe) that goes right below the eyes / lower eyelid, below the eye, very lower tip of the nose and the cheek area to the upper lip.

I don't know if this is the mechanism of the symptom, but this entire area is innervated by the maxilary branch of the trigeminal nerve. If you look up the area of the face you will see that branch of the nerve supplies sensation to just the area I have described.

It is normally just below the eyes, but can be anywhere in this area. It feels like a piece of tape or a sticker is on my skin. It is normally both sides for me.

It comes and goes, but I can make it stronger or appear sometimes by tapping my jaw side to side on my teeth.

On rare occasion it will feel like a slight burning.

This started for me when I developed TMJ dysfunction / facial pain. I have chronic right side masseter pain and both sides temporalis pain. I also have chronic neck pain which started before the head and face symptoms.

For a while I was getting electric shock sensations in the side of the head near the ear.

I've seen many doctors, but I'm planning on fiding a new GP and neurologist and start my story from the beginning.

The neck pain can be caused by trigger points in the lower trapezius muscles, which is between the shoulder blades. This is quite distant from the site of the tension. The neck tension and other symptoms could then be caused by trigger points in many of the neck muscles like the SCM and masseter muscle.

It gets quite complicated for many reasons. Trigger points are hard to find and one can set off another. You really have to learn a lot.

My symptoms may not all be caused by trigger points, but I definitely have a trigger point problem.