PDA

View Full Version : coming off sertraline

mandie
05-04-10, 23:44
Hi

I decided to come off my meds about 8 weeks ago.

They just didnt seem to be working so i thought mite as well be off them. Iv been on them nearly 2 years.

I was on 50mg so i cut down to 25mg for about 6 weeks. Then 25mg every other day.

Now im taking 25mg every few days

So far i havent had many side effects of coming off apart from feeling so so tired.

I do have trouble sleeping anyway but i just seem extra tired.

Iv also been feeling sick alot and have had a few headaches.

Is anybody coming off these tablets and having these side effects?

What side effects are you having if not the above ones.

I do feel anxious still and slight panic, but nothing worse than what i was having when i was on the tablets

thanks

love mandie x

yvonne_uk_98
06-04-10, 00:22
Hi Mandie,

Have you been to see your gp about coming off? Sorry to hear your having not good time coming off them.

I hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne

mandie
06-04-10, 19:19
Hi Yvonne

I see my gp once a month for a review of how i am re the anxiety and i told him im comming off them. He said see how i go.

mandie x

Angelai
07-04-10, 21:54
Hi Mandie

I've been on sertraline 4 times and each time I came off them I did feel a little 'strange'. I had the headaches and was tired, it felt like trying to run in water if you know what I mean. The first 3 times I cut down the dose really slowly, and the withdrawal symptoms continued until I was off it completely. Last time I was very irresponsible and just stopped, 100mg to nothing with no tapering, after being on them for 2 years. Yes, I felt strange again, but honestly no worse than when I'd tapered the dose. And the symptoms cleared up much more quickly (I felt 'normal' after about 2 weeks).

It's a scary time, mid withdrawal. You don't know if you've done the right thing but wonder if going back to your regular dose will give you side effects again. And if you do go back, you're only putting the withdrawal off. If you're confident that you don't need the meds then stick with what you're doing. It will get easier.

Good luck :hugs:

mandie
08-04-10, 13:23
Thank you Angela for your reply.

I really thought i would feel worse than i do.

The reason im coming off them is because they dont seem to be doing anything for me, so thought might as well b off them.

I no i could tell dr and he could change them, but i hate taking them and am scared of going up a dose and trying new medication

I have cbt starting in 2 weeks again and it helped me last year so im hoping that will be enough to keep the anx and panic at bay

Are u off all meds now?

love mandie x

Angelai
08-04-10, 21:23
Hi Mandie

I was feeling exactly the same, like the pills weren't doing anything for me anymore. So no, I'm not taking anything now. I have been feeling, the last few months, that maybe I need some 'support' again but my other half doesn't want me to go back on them.

I think I've just accepted that sometimes I will cope with life ok, and sometimes I will get low enough that medication will help me. I try not to see going back on them as failing, like I have in the past.

All you can do is see how it goes - give yourself a good 3-6 months without meds (as long as you don't go right down hill, which I'm sure you won't. You know you're own body, you'll know if things aren't working right xxx) before trying to decide if you're really ok without them. And if you're not, don't be afraid to go back on them.

I hope the cbt helps you, let me know!

Good luck

x

popsy
10-04-10, 18:49
Mandie, i think you are doing brilliantly, keep going hun, you are so much stronger than you know, im proud of you! :hugs:

mandie
10-04-10, 23:08
Angela - well done for coming off your meds. x

Charlie - thanks hunni. wish i felt as proud of myself as u do of me lol xx