PDA

View Full Version : throat feels like its going to close up

26 lee
06-04-10, 20:08
hey guys got a problem ive had panic attacks for 10 years and recently i have been feeling that my throat is going to close up. its me real paranoid i cant even look in my mouth. does anyone else have this problem.? is it even possible for it to close up.lee :weep::weep:

PokerFace
06-04-10, 20:15
When I have panic attacks I get like this too. Feels like my throat is swelling and I can't get enough oxygen in which leads me into not being able to breathe, is so scary I know! I find what helps me is fresh air. Then I can feel myself breathing in the cold air so I know my throat isn't blocked and I'm breathing just fine. Is getting dark right now and the temperature will have dropped, maybe try standing at the back door for a couple of minutes and take in some deep breaths. I've found thats helped me loads.

Hope this helps you :) xx

Edit. I don't think it's possible for our throats to actually close up when we have panic attacks so I shouldn't worry too much :)

stimpers
06-04-10, 20:56
Hi

Have had this myself when suffering from depression and I think it's just another symptom. My friend had this last year and went to her doc as she was worried she had something wrong with her throat. He said it was really common when people are stressed. Once he told her this it seemed to calm down but she had been really focussing on it, which of course, as we know, makes it a million times worse... Easier said than done not to worry and obsess though.
Take care.

Angelai
06-04-10, 21:53
I get this a LOT, most nights when I'm trying to get to sleep :weep:

Please try not to worry, it's very common (obviously I worry about it every time it happens because it means I'm anixious/panicking about something and start fretting over WHAT exactly is making me anxious and panicky. And over and over...) x

MightyPC
07-04-10, 16:27
I get this too and I find what helps me is a Olbas or Vics sniff stick - strange but true. I think it calms me down

Typer
07-04-10, 20:15
yes I get this and suck an extra strong mint which seems to ease it a bit too.

shining star
08-04-10, 16:58
i too get this symptom to the point where i feel i can not swallow...then i get all worried about it then it makes it worse and what do you know, panic and anxiety sets in...it is scary but it just tenses up under stress/anxiety and goes away once you can try and calm your self down

jothenurse
08-04-10, 22:54
Yes - I get this along with a very tight chest which makes me feel like I can't take a deep breath. Very uncomfortable. But if I relax and get my mind off of it, it goes away. It is just the nerves.