PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Hell

pepey05
06-04-10, 23:41
Hi All

I am stuck in a desperate cycle. I have constant panic attacks whilst driving, to the point where I feel I am going to drive over the edge of a bridge or ditch. Today my Mum had to take over driving. What really upset me was the fact it was one of my favourite roads where I often go for a drive. I just sat and cried with my Mum. Why Why Why!!! Had enough.

But on the other hand I am my own worse enemy. I enjoy wine everynight which I feel contributes to the problem. I have always liked a drink but feel it's a problem which contributes to my panic attacks.

I am a shadow of the driver I use to be. Any help would be much appreciated! Cannot stand the shear fright and panic I get when driving. Feel that I am really going to loose control of my vehicle.

Jules:sad:

chrislot
07-04-10, 00:35
Sometimes needing a drink is self medicating, just for a little stress relief. Read about pyroluria that causes intense anxiety and it is said that 40% of alcoholics have it.

Humungousfungus
09-04-10, 15:30
Hi Jules,

Driving is very difficult with anyone who suffers from anxiety - it requires alot of concentration, being inside the car is claustrophobic, the level of congestion can elevate all kinds of chemicals as well as your blood pressure.

I get it too it's a total pain in the ass, do some short runs on some predictable routes and build up some confidence, but keep doing it as avoiding it completely will truly make it worse.