PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had their CAPSULES (Effexor) changed to TABLETS (Venlalic)?

Always-Worried
08-04-10, 01:02
I've been on Effexor XL capsules for some years for my anxiety and have recently had my meds changed from capsules (Effexor XL) to tablets (Venlalic XL) - my GP wrote to tell me this was going to happen as the tablets are much cheaper.

I have been on the tablets for a couple of months and have had to change how I take them - I used to take the Effexor before bed but the tablets need to be taken with food so I have to try and take them at teatime.

Anyway, since taking the Venlalic I have had 3 episodes of the most excruiating indigestion so I checked the danger sheet and notice that indigestion is a common side effect of the Venlalic (it is not listed as a side effect of Effexor).

So, I was wondering if anyone has made the change from capsules to tablets and if you noticed any difference?

Dahlia
17-04-10, 23:10
Hi - I too have been changed from the capsules to those tablets. I haven't noticed any new side effects - in fact I am still taking them before I go to bed whether I have eaten or not. (I have only now just read the label and seen they are meant to be taken with food!).

Dahlia

Going home
18-04-10, 00:10
I take a beta blocker called propranolol (Inderal) and sometimes in the past depending on which pharmacy ive gone to, i've been given it as a tablet instead of the usual capsule. Inderal in tablet form just doesn't agree with my system at all and i seem to suffer more side effects....including digestive problems. When I questioned this last year, I was told that some pharmacies give out a 'generic' form of the actual medication because its cheaper than the 'real' thing. So now my doctor has made a note on my records to only give me the non-generic propranolol which, to give it its full title is called 'half-inderal' and comes as a bright pink capsule which makes me feel really good. My dose is a single slow release 80mg capsule and I take it every morning with my breakfast. One pharmacist has said that its common practice to sometimes give out meds in their generic form but that not everyone is sensitive to them and can tolerate them. Perhaps this is what has happened to your medication too? I do wish they'd stop messing about with these meds just because of the cost. They might be saving money but what about the people who have to take them like us?

GH xx

suzy-sue
18-04-10, 00:40
They couldnt care less .....My husband was taken of his capsules for acid reflux and given tablets instead ,he had the same reaction ,they didnt do the same thing .So they had to put him back on the capsules .Cost them more in the long run ..haha Sue

gary_2.0
22-06-10, 13:02
They will tell you the unbranded generic drugs are exactly the same. I don't care what it says on the box, they either work or they don't. The generics have always given me problems, as they clearly do others as well.

It's all down to greed. Greed over our health. Those of us affected must fight to overturn this priority. Something many of us would rather avoid.

The lies I've been told by pharmacists for not stocking the branded drugs, have been outrageous. And the doctors are often no better when obliged or forced to stick to a budget.

One can call it criminal or immoral but essentially it's just negligent. They don't care.

Do what I do, make a noise, be a nuisance. Unfortunately it's often the only way, but do insist on getting the correct medication.

Perhaps what we need is a national campaign/pressure group to bring this 'cost over health' issue to greater attention.

Perhaps something already exists? Anyone know? If not, we ought to organise and create one. :yesyes:

Draft campaign slogan: I'm ill and I'm sick of being treated this way!

rachelhall
07-12-10, 16:29
Hi im new to this but im going to be taking the venlalic tablet 75mg prolonged release tonight been on the capsule for 8 yrs and im scared seeing different posts on different sites saying they had withdrawl syptoms and they were reall ill , i know i shouldnt have googled it ...the pharmacy and the Dr have told me i will not notice a difference , just hope this is true as the capsules kept me on an even keel and dont want to start messing around with it , Rach xx

deepreason
19-03-11, 00:53
I was originally on the Effexor XL capsules and one day just ended up being given the Venlalic tablets instead. In fairness I haven't noticed any difference in effect at all though.

I used to take mine first thing in the morning, with breakfast and never had any problems.

In contrast though when I was given a different brand of my Sodium Valproate I found it almost didn't work on me and I felt quite ill with lots of my symptoms returning. Since then I have asked the GP to prescribe that particular med by brand rather than by type, which is someting they've been quite happy to do, and have had no more problems.

I guess it's just a case of try it and see how you get on.

If you are ever interested in the comparative cost of any tablets and why your GP might be choosing one over another, you can check the price the NHS is charged online at the BNF website. It's an online version of that little prescribing bible you always see the GP peering into :P You have to register but it's open to anyone: you don't need to be in the healthcare industry. http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/

Buddhagirl
26-04-11, 19:25
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum :-)

I've been on venlafaxine for about 6 years and was also put onto Venlalic. Personally, I didn't get on with it at all. I had the same feeling on them that a venlafaxine withdrawal gives i.e dizziness, nausea etc. I also felt more anxious and my moods were really up and down. My doctor has now put me back on VFX and touch wood, all is improving!

Hassle them! Don't give up!

gary_2.0
27-04-11, 01:15
@deepreason:
Re. British National Formulary website:
Fantastic share. An extremely useful resource indeed. Thank you.

Just look at the price difference between generic (Non-proprietary) and branded. Not an exact like-for-like match, but the disparity is clear enough.

Venlafaxine (Non-proprietary)
Tablets, venlafaxine (as hydrochloride)
37.5 mg, net price 56-tab pack = £3.60; 75 mg, 56-tab pack = £4.71

Efexor® XL (Wyeth)
Capsules, m/r, venlafaxine (as hydrochloride)
75 mg (peach), net price 28-cap pack = £22.50; 150 mg (orange), 28-cap pack = £37.51.

@Buddhagirl:
"Hassle them! Don't give up!" - Agreed. Never give up. :)

brenda1962
20-05-11, 15:46
I am off to the doctor tonight regarding this. I have tried sticking it out with these tablets but I feel agitated all the time and can't get to sleep for my legs and arms feeling like there are lots of things running about inside them. Efexor was excellent and had no side effects at all for me. It is such a same that health has to suffer for money.

PumpkinPie
04-07-11, 14:26
My GP has written my latest prescription for the tablets instead of capsules. He was very open and said they're a lot cheaper would you be happy to try them and I said yes. I agree that if you do notice they don't work for you you should be able to change back straight away with no troubles, and sympathise with those having problems with them, but surely we should all try to save money where we can and as some people find them fine I'm more than willing to try them.

I guess it's down to confidence in your GP really though - I trust that mine will put me back on the capsules if I need them. It seems I'm lucky and some of you have GPs that are more interested in money than health and I worry that with the current nhs plans this will only get worse!

Anyway, I'll report back once I've tried them.

ps. this is my first post so Hi everyone!

Diva
05-07-11, 19:44
Yep, I changed from the capsules to the tablets about two months ago and have been suffering from the most awful indigestion. No acid, just really bad trapped wind pains mostly in my chest and back. Didn't connect the two until I saw this thread. Actually posted on the HA forum thinking I had Pancreatic Ca.

For the first time in my life I can appreciate why indigestion can sometimes be confused with a heart attack!

Can I ask if taking the tabs with food helps the symptoms?

rankinmikee
15-01-14, 11:05
I'm in a similar boat, as I have explained here!
nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1265387

*I can't post full links as I'm a forum newbie. Sorry.

clio51
15-01-14, 12:23
Doctors tried it with me!
The surgery had been told to change everyone on capsules to tablets costs cutting process nhs

I went in to see my doctor and told her I prefer the capsules so she changed mine back