PDA

View Full Version : Waiting and hoping

fawn
08-04-10, 09:10
I have been on 30mg mirtazipine now for about a month and though I see some improvement I am still struggling. My doc put me up to 45mg but that made me worse so after 10 days I cut back down to 30.

Does anyone know how long till I feel well or if I should be taking something else as well as mirt?

Lost and lonely in herefordshire.

JT69
08-04-10, 10:55
Hi Fawn,

I started out on 15mg of mirtazipine and as I had to withdraw quickly from citalopram I had horrendous withdrawal effects to deal with as well as the side effects from mirtazipine, I found I settled but then dipped again so GP upped me to 30mg mirtazipine and that was 5 weeks ago. During that time I have managed to return to work after almost 5 months off, I can honestly say I feel alot better but am still struggling with morning anxiety and wonder if that is something I will have to accept. When you say you felt worse when going up to 45mg, in what way??

I think you have to give it a bit longer to work hun, it is really frustrating but the meds take time to settle and start working properly. Are you suffering depression? If you try and describe how you are feeling I can try and relate how I have felt in comparrison, that is you want to.

Horrible isnt it? Really feel for you. Hope this helps you.
Take care
JO.xx

fawn
08-04-10, 21:29
Hi,

My doc increased my dose to 45mg to see if we could gain any extra benefit from it but oh dear. Within 24 hours the panic had increased big time and along side it came depression. I have never had depression thank goodness but the two together was simply awful. I stuck it out for 10 days at which point my doc said it clearly wasnt going to work as any increase of panic as a side effect should have passed by then and to come back down. Within 24 hours I was much better, I am still rubbish to be honest but less rubbish lol.

I think the next step is to try another medication alongside the mirt but I am having a couple of weeks to get steady again before we start something new. I was on citalopram too before this 60mg and it wasnt working for me, it is horrible coming off something isnt it.

I just wish I didnt feel so flipping helpless and lonely with that little inner voice telling me it wont get better and that I cant cope.

This site seems amazing and I am gonna post everyday and see if I can find the way to a better me along with everyone else who knows how it feels and what we go through just to function alongside all the 'normal' folk.

thankyou so much for replying to me

fawn
:)

ElizabethJane
08-04-10, 22:23
Hi Fawn I am currently taking 45mg of mirtazapine and 1,000mg of lithium daily. I went up to 45mg just after Christmas. It took a long time ie at least a month to feel any real benefit from it. I have been on mirtazapine with dothiepin as well but successfully came off that in October 2009. I would let the docs decide whether you need something else apart from the mirt. It might be an older anti depressant like dothiepin or even another ssri (as mirt is an snri) Le them decide what is best for you. If your anxiety is very bad they might want to try an anti psychotic like ripseridone but in a very low dose. I am taking a mood stabiliser lithium. I agree with Jo that the anxiety that you are feeling at the moment is due to citalpram withdrawal and adjusting to the mirt. Even these newer anti depressants take a while to work. I know it is frustrating and I have been there but they should begin to kick in eventually.

fawn
10-04-10, 17:23
Well the good weather has had a good effect on my nerves as always. I have pottered in my garden and worked hard on the positive thinking. I am still waiting for these pills to give me their full benefit but hopefully I am on an upward trend. (knowing me I will have a big slump cos of over ambition)

The mornings and evenings are still my worst bits of the day, I seem to be coping with it though which can only be for the good.

I hope everyone else has had a lovely day in the sun.

fawn

JT69
11-04-10, 11:32
Hi fawn,

Unfortunately I had to work yesterday, but the sun does help make us feel better, or I think so anyhow.

Glad you doing o.k. may it continue for you.

take care
Jo.xx

fawn
14-04-10, 09:40
After a few fairly good days I have started wobbling all over the place, I think it might be cos of the time of the month that us ladies suffer from. Do any other ladies find that they feel worse for a few days each month?

I am still fighting on and have an appointment with my doc next weds where we will discuss options with regards to a med that will work alongside the mirt. I have no idea what goes with it, anyone out there that has to take two meds to get the balance right?

I hope everyone is doing well and I am so sorry for anyone that had to work on those few lovely days we had.

fawn
x

chrislot
14-04-10, 10:12
Fawn, research pyroluria and cpooer overload, they cause anxiety, depression, insomnia and a host of other problems and treatment does not involve taking any meds, only vitamins.

ElizabethJane
16-04-10, 15:23
Dear Fawn as I said in an earlier post I take lithium and mirtzapine together. Prior to that I was taking dothiepin and lithium and mirtazapine together. It is up to your doctor to decide what is best for you? It could be a tricyclic or a different ssri as mirtazapine is an snri. It is likely to be a mood stabilser, anti psychotic or another anti depressant. Let us know how you are getting on.

fawn
20-04-10, 20:01
Well great news not, my psych doc is stuck in Rome so my appointment that I have been hanging on for has been cancelled and moved to next thurs.

I am struggling so badly at the moment, I am in total despair, the mirt just isnt doing it for me, I am not having bad side effects but neither am I finding the peace that I had hoped the pills would give me.

I just dont know how much longer I can cope, day by day not feeling any better, I am looking for the light at the end of the tunnel but there isnt even a glimmer.

fawn

ElizabethJane
21-04-10, 16:23
Dear Fawn I'm sorry that you are not feeling so good. Could you make an emergency appointment with your GP until you see your psych next week? It really is important that you feel supported if you don't feel the mirtazapine is working? Maybe you need to switch to a higher dose or change completely. I hope things work out and improve for you. EJ

fawn
21-04-10, 18:19
Thankyou for replying Elizabeth,
It is wonderful to know that someone cares, unfortunately my GP says that my care has been handed over to my psych and wont in her words 'interfere'.
I am left just having to hang on.
I decided this afternoon to attempt the higher dose of Mirt again even though it didnt agree with me, I have nothing left to lose.
Thankyou again
fawn
xxx

fawn
25-04-10, 17:26
Well I am back at my psych's on tuesday, she has brought me forward by two days. I have had enough of this drug, it quite simply isnt working for me. I sleep but terribly, nightmares and crying, my poor fella hasnt had a good nights sleep for ages. I wake up in a total panic and found myself marching down the road at 6.30 this morning trying to exercise myself well.
I was on seroxat years ago and though it was a horrible drug while I was getting it into my system, it saved my life. I became so well that eventually I came off it. I wish I never had, weirdly my then doc said dont come off it, it doesnt hurt to keep taking it but I knew better. Stupid me.
Some people on here say it doesnt work twice but I have to try it, I know it worked last time and cant see why it wouldnt work again.
So now I just have to survive till I get the tabs and then survive the side effects, because frankly I am struggling to survive at all.
fawn

ElizabethJane
25-04-10, 17:39
Dear Fawn I'm sorry to hear that you are still suffering anxiety and depression very badly. There have been times in my life when I felt that I would never be well again but it has only been due to the patience of my psychiatrist and GP that I lead a fulfilling life most of time. I suffer from severe recurrent depression so I'll never be completely free of it. I have had hospital admissions and all sorts of therapy for years and years. Now I am having some respite from this dreadful illness (and you will too) Contrary to some peoples belief on here I will never be able to come off my drugs. They keep me from needing hospital admissions and stronger interventions. I have tried to manage without drugs always managing to become sicker than before. It will be hard for you to be well from the position you are in now but with the right help and support you will be able to do it. Please keep posting and I'll be looking out for your posts and try to help and support when I can. EJ

JT69
25-04-10, 18:45
Hi Fawn,

Sorry to hear that you are really suffering at the moment, I have been away for a few days so havent posted for a while. I truely know how you are feeling and know it is not very nice...I am suffering myself in mornings at the moment...I just wake up and feel so dreadful....the mirtazipine does give me a good nights sleep though, so thats a plus. I have also gained weight on it, I was scared to get on the scales but was just putting off the inevitable and did and wish I hadnt...the appetite has settled down, in fact I dont eat half as much as I used to but have still gained the weight. I dont know, these meds!!! I am like ElizabethJane, I know I will have to take some kind of medication for the rest of my life because when I have come off meds I end up eventually in a really bad way and then it takes time to come out of it again, I accept that though. I wonder if mirtazipine is the right drug for me too, as when I took citalopram I did eventually feel better on waking but with mirt I dont seem to be doing. I dont know what the answer is, I will have to leave it down to my GP even though i find I research stuff myself and tend to talk it over with him.

Anyhow enough about me....I just wanted to let you know that If I can be of any support to you please ask away, and I really hope you begin to feel better soon hun.

Take care
Jo.xx

fawn
28-04-10, 19:13
Hi EJ and Jo,

Well I am back from the docs wth 10mg seroxat to take alongside the 30mg mirt that I am on. I am absolutely scared to death cos I hear that seroxat has rough side effects in the early days. Oh well anything to get better. I take my first tab tomorrow and will try to write on here everyday how I am feeling etc.

Thankyou both so much for replying to me, it makes all the difference not to feel so alone.

fawn
xxx

JT69
28-04-10, 20:56
Hi Fawn,

Glad that you have something else to help....you may suffer side effects but might not...but anyhow it will be worth it in the end when you start to feel better.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

JO.xx

fawn
29-04-10, 21:05
Hi guys,

no news today really, I took the first dose of seroxat this morning and of course it is too early to tell what it will do. No side effects yet so fingers crossed. Today has been alright so fingers crossed.

fawn

fawn
05-05-10, 03:56
Ok day 7 of taking the extra seroxat and finally as I was warned my symptoms have increased. The panic is high tonight, cant sleep for jolts of it. i knew this was likely but am upset that at 3 in the morning i have had to give up and get up. Now I have to hang on in there and get to the other side of the side effects.
Please god give me the strength to accept this and find the peace I need.
fawn

ElizabethJane
05-05-10, 07:28
Dear Fawn I'm really sorry that you are struggling to adjust to the new dose/tablets. I hope that you were able to go back to bed and get some rest. I know from my own experience that it will take a while ie several weeks before your body adjusts to the higher doses. Do you have a follow up appointment with your GP? I would definitely prioritise the things that you have to do at the moment and try not to stress yourself too much. I am thinking of you. EJ.

JT69
05-05-10, 08:08
Hi Fawn,

I mirror Elizabeth-Janes comments, I too really feel for you and no what you are going through...please rest assured you will feel better in time it is just a finding a way to cope as you go through the awful side effects, try and think positive (easier said than done I know hun) that it will be worth it in the end.

Perhaps chat to your GP as there may be something he/she can give you to help you cope with the side effects. Time is the essence with these things, I know when I felt terriable you cannot seem to see a way forward but as each day passes things will improve, they really will.

Take care hun and keep us posted how you doing, even posting on here helped me when I was going through it.

Sending you a big hug.:hugs: Jo.xx

fawn
13-05-10, 07:56
Hi guys,

Sorry I havent been online for a while, the last couple of weeks have been quite difficult. I am now on mirt 30mg at night and seroxat 20mg in the mornings. I had a bit of a rough time getting onto the 10mg seroxat and only started 20mg of it yesterday. I am still finding the anxiety difficult but I do think that perhaps this is the right road for me. Medication is such a nightmare.

Every day is a battle but I now have the odd day that is good, not totally without anxiety but definately better. Hopefully I will have more and more of those.

love to everyone
fawn

Vixxy
13-05-10, 12:46
Hi Fawn. Im about to start on seroxat in the mornings too.
Mirtazapine has been great for my general mood, but my anxiety wasnt getting any better. I hope this is the best solution for both of us :)

JT69
13-05-10, 12:55
Hi Fawn,

Was wondering how you were getting on. Sorry its been a bit of an awful time for you but it will get better hun. I just wanted to wish you well and hope that the good days out-weigh the bad ones for you and soon. Let us know how you go.

Take care.
JO.xx

JT69
13-05-10, 12:56
Hi Vixxy,

I hope that things go well for you too hun. Let us know how it goes.

Take care
Jo.xx

fawn
14-05-10, 16:41
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the good wishes and support. I am still doing ok, not great but ok, hopefully the side effects wont be too bad with the increase.

Vixxy that is funny that we are both trying the same thing, you must let me know how you are doing too.

love
fawn
xxxxx

Vixxy
14-05-10, 18:16
Im glad youre doing ok at the moment. :)
Im still waiting on the chemist to get the seroxat in, its been about 3 days now! God knows what the hold up is ><
Take care of yourself :)