PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of being alone

PokerFace
08-04-10, 19:39
It will be 4 weeks tommorrow since I started having really bad panic attacks. I hadn't been alone in the house til my mum went on holiday last Friday so it's just been me and my older sister, she's been out the last two nights and I coped pretty well last night and the night before. My dad was with me til I got tired the 1st night and the second I got in bed at 8 and was asleep by half 9 and slept straight through the night.

Tonight my chest is really hurting on my left side like a dull squeezy pain and I'm panicking so bad cuz if anything happens to me no ones here to help me. I wanna cry but scared of making myself worse I dunno what to do right now. I know it can't be my heart cuz I had 3 ECGs 4 weeks ago but I keep thinking it is I can't shake that thought out of my head.

I know I can't be the only person who suffers with anxiety/panic attacks to be alone in the house am I just being stupid? I can't call a friend cuz they don't really know what's happening to me I havn't told them much and I can't call my dad cuz he really does think I'm being stupid. I don't want to annoy him.

Maybe I will thank my mum and sister for making me face my fears at this early stage but right now I'm SO upset. I hurt and I'm scared and I really have no idea what to do.

ShazAtko
08-04-10, 19:53
Instead of thinking "what if" and getting yourself more worked up and panicky think "so what". Also remember you have had panic attacks before and you got through them. Don't try and push the feeling away, it will make it worse, just try and breath slowly and from the abdomen and it will subside. This will not kill you, I promise! x

ems1987
08-04-10, 19:59
hey,

I also have this problem as my parents are away for a few days at the moment. It really scares me as i get really spaced out etc and convince myself im going to pass out.

Have you tried getting engrossed in a bit of tv to try and take your mind of it? feel free to message me or whatever as im going through exactly the same

xx

ShazAtko
08-04-10, 20:01
I find that if I do something to distract me it works. Whether its watching TV or reading. I find getting up and changing position helps, so if I am sitting down I get up and do something. xx

Oh and the very worst that can happen in a panic attack is that you pass out (cos you hyperventilate) but if you do (and not many people do) your body starts to breath normally again.

If you do hyperventilate, breath into a paper bag or cup your hands over your mouth and that helps.

PokerFace
08-04-10, 20:05
I've tried watching the tele but I can't settle right now idk why. When the pain gets worse I have to get up and I wanna run somewhere but there's nowhere to run. Is weird can't explain it very well. :unsure: I'm scared of doing anything physical right now cuz my chest hurts and I don't want it to get worse :( xx Thx for replying

ShazAtko
08-04-10, 20:07
I've tried watching the tele but I can't settle right now idk why. When the pain gets worse I have to get up and I wanna run somewhere but there's nowhere to run. Is weird can't explain it very well. :unsure: I'm scared of doing anything physical right now cuz my chest hurts and I don't want it to get worse :( xx Thx for replying

The reason you want to run is cos your body gets pumped full of andrenaline, it's the "fight or flight" response. Again, perfectly normal in a panic attack.

andrew
08-04-10, 20:17
hi pokerface,

im sure your dad really wont mind if you contact him or your sister. try not to reinforce your anxiety by believing that no one is available for you.

distraction always helped me, anything you like or you have to concentrate on. you could always visit the chat room for some company lol

you take care

sue.b
08-04-10, 20:35
Hi pokerface

I have had these feeling too when I have been alone in the house, you kind of want to escape but you are not sure where to or what from. Please believe me this is totally normal in panic/anxiety and the feelings will not hurt you, they are just extremely unpleasant feelings and sensations.

Maybe try to see this time alone as a chance to achieve a goal, a step on the road to getting the better of your panic attacks.

The chat room is great if you are feeling this way, lots of support from caring people.

Take care

Sue :hugs:

jothenurse
08-04-10, 22:50
I too get very scared when I am alone. Especially if my heart is fast, because then I get scared "What if it goes too fast and I have to go to the ER again?" "What if I pass out?" I know the what if's get me ever more scared, so I try to not think that way (hard, I know) and I try to distract myself, whether it be doing crossword puzzles or reading things on my laptop - just anything to get my mind off of it.
But I know how you feel - I hate being by myself.

PokerFace
09-04-10, 13:50
Thank you everyone for your replies and reminding me I won't get hurt. I survived the night :D Feel kinda better for it..I guess if I can do it alone once whilst having an attack I can do it again. xx

daydreamer
09-04-10, 14:05
Hi Poker face.Im in the same situation as you at the moment re: the chest pains, but we have to tell ourselves that its nothing serious just panic. Ive had that fear of exercise for about 3 months now, but not exercising is doing more harm than good Im sure. If you can, force yourself to go for a walk even if its just for 10mins. I have been doing so for the past few days and have felt better for it, Im sure you would too. If you cant go out on your own, make someone go with you if you think it would make you feel better. good luck x