PDA

View Full Version : Managed to baffle my hypnotherapist........

RobyBaggio18
19-01-06, 11:49
Ive been having Hypnotherapy/NLP for my anxiety disorder for about two months and about 5 sessions.

My last session yesterday frustrated my therapist as I kept breaking the state whenever we tried to do some work. (this was NLP not hypnosis so I was not in a trance). He was trying to do something by unhooking negative emotions from me by getting me to remember them but for some reason I couldn't tune into them.

He also made the comment that part of me doesnt want to get better and is jeapourdising my progress. Next week he said we will try and discover that.

Just before I left he asked me to picture myself as Im feeling now, I described myself wearing dull clothes, anxious, feeling uncomfortable. Then he asked me to picture myself when I felt fine and happy, I chose 2003/04. I pictured myself wearing different coloured clothes, brighter, a different girl in the picture to my current g/friend and there was my college from that year. This immediately made me smile and the tension eased.
I do not have any of that now as I dress how my mood is and I quit college because of my anxiety and obviously the girl is different

This has left me confused as to whether it is something deep down that is keeping my anxiety going or that material things in my life have changed or me thinking about my anxiety is keeping it going.

He said I was worrying him a little and I'd been on his mind a lot about different techniques we should try.

Theres no doubt in my mind that me worrying and stressing over my relationship made me ill again but I dont really want to have to end it so I can get better.

So confused.........

jackie
19-01-06, 12:12
robby probably just me but that technic did not work for my health anxiety. i no you would try anything because just like me you have a deep desire to move on. but it is costly and i no its worked for many but be sure b4 you pay any more money. ask others on line if this helped them.

wish you luck

jackie

RobyBaggio18
19-01-06, 12:22
Its only £15 per session and I like its good support for me, and I feel Ive made good progress with it. I'm able to do more, Ive been shopping, gone to the pub and had a driving lesson last week since Ive been seeing him.

still confused.......

jackie
19-01-06, 12:34
i think deep down emotions ththat we kept inside is the result of much nervous illness. not necessarily some deep seated event but just years of pent up emotions. it is like this with me years of holding in for fear of being disliked.

do you plan to go back to college. there is alot of advicce here about facing the fear and doing it anyway. i read ca book about riding through our panic. when i succeed it seems to work

RobyBaggio18
19-01-06, 12:50
College starts in September, Im gonna start again then. At the moment my heads a mess and doubt if I could hold it together in a college.

I want my life to be a success, this is holding me back to much.

jackie
19-01-06, 14:03
have you read claire weekes on conquering all types of nervous illness

kid a
19-01-06, 14:26
*This has left me confused as to whether it is something deep down that is keeping my anxiety going or that material things in my life have changed or me thinking about my anxiety is keeping it going.*

I know what you mean. I can remember a time when I was okay and a lot has changed since then, not only in the way I'm viewing things and thinking about things but also material things.

It's hard to connect what is causing the problem, and anxiety doesn't make it any clearer. The thing thats keeping me going is the knowledge that I have been okay.

I'm doing cbt which is helping but sometimes after a session, I get quite frustrated and confused. Then I think, I'm 27, I should be out partying and start going over things trying to find an answer and the main issues get cloudy.

"I forget, which one of us doesn’t like fish?"

RobyBaggio18
19-01-06, 15:20
The partying doesn't interest me to be honest, Ive done enough of that since I was 20. I want a comfortable life and earn a decent wage but at the moment that seems so far out of reach.

Why the hell does thing keep stopping me from making my own decisions?

College in September is a while away and I dont know if Ill be recovered.

The knowledge that Ive pulled myself back from an even bigger pit of despair keeps me going, but the road to recovery still seems pretty rocky and miles long.

Mark.

kid a
19-01-06, 15:48
It doesn't really appeal to me either. I just think that's what I should be doing; perhaps that's part of my problem, looking at what I think I should be doing rather than what i want to do.

What do you mean by stopping you from making your own decisions?

RobyBaggio18
19-01-06, 16:01
If I make plans, I feel like Ive got to plan round my anxiety. I really want to change jobs as my salary is poor but I feel like I couldn't cope with that.

When people invite me to do things, its more like an invitation to a funeral than an invitation to do anything.

kid a
19-01-06, 16:19
Same with me. Although I have found that I make anxious predictions about a lot of things which actually don't come true.

Trev
20-01-06, 10:05
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">If I make plans, I feel like Ive got to plan round my anxiety. I really want to change jobs as my salary is poor but I feel like I couldn't cope with that.

When people invite me to do things, its more like an invitation to a funeral than an invitation to do anything.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

They are YOUR thoughts. People invite you out. That's the end of their involvement, from then on YOU decide it's like an invitiation to a funeral. And because you've decided that's what it is, then that's what it's likely to be to you at the time.

You are already telling yourself you can't change jobs before you try.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">College in September is a while away and I dont know if Ill be recovered. </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

If you focus so hard on being ok for this time then you will likely make it worse. Just tell yourself you are going whatever you feel like and end it there. Putting deadline pressures on yourself is only going to raise anxiety.......it's certainly not going to ease it. So tell yourself now that you are going and that you will do it regardless of how you feel at the time.

Watch your own thoughts!!!!

Cheers,
Trev :D