PDA

View Full Version : sensitive to smells/odours?

daydreamer
08-04-10, 19:59
I have become really sensitive to odours at the moment. Its really horrid, when I go for a walk all I can smell is car fumes and petrol. If somewhere has just been cleaned I can smell bleach. Perfumes give me a bad headache. Its not so much the odour but the intensity of them, its as if I have swallowed a mouthful of whatever it is I am smelling, like I can almost taste it too and it hurts my nose, mouth and tongue.

Has anyone else had this with their anxiety or could it be due to something else? I suffer with reflux too, maybe its something linked?

Ladybelle
09-04-10, 14:45
yes I get this too ..... dont like it as I always worry it is a symptom of something starting !! or of a condition :ohmy:

SarahG
09-04-10, 15:37
OMG I am exactly the same! I thought it was just me... my sense of smell and my sense of taste are really strong at the moment. I wonder if this is another side effect of changing meds?

I actually stopped buying strong tasting food for myself this week because everything is so intense! I bought curry for the rest of the family but just can't face it myself.

daydreamer
09-04-10, 20:47
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought I was the only one suffering with this!

I remember last time I suffered with anxiety years ago, I had the exact same problem. Amieekid I think your right, it must be the oversensitivity to everything and the fight or flight thing that comes with anxiety. Strange though as I thought I was getting over my anxiety and felt less nervy the past few weeks. Im now having flahsbacks to that awful time yrs ago, which has left me feeling scared and Im having awful general anxiety, it sucks!