PDA

View Full Version : Colestorl 6.2 is this really high? Should I be worried

jayr10
08-04-10, 20:13
When't to docs to get blood test results says it's 6.2 it's nothing to worrie about just try to cut out the crap I eat but I just red another post on hear saying that they where on a pill for colestorl about the same levels as mne? Plz reply thank you and sorry for te spelling am on my phone haha.

Vanilla Sky
08-04-10, 21:19
Mine was 7.6 , I did cut out all fats etc , i lost a stone and my cholesteral went down to 7.5 ! But mine is hereditary , it runs in the family and i have to be on statins as no amount of cutting down would help and there would be nothing left of me lol. Just do as doc says and cut down , like have semi skimmed milk instead of full cream , dont put to much butter on things , cut down on cheese etc etc , and you may not have to go on any of the statins.

Utility
08-04-10, 21:20
Hi

Your overall cholesterol level is not just based on what the reading was from a blood sample. Doctors also factor in lifestyle and other medical conditions. In other words someone can have a high cholesterol level but score well in other areas because they don't have other medical conditions, don't smoke, have a balanced diet, don't drink too much and exercise. The overall score can then be a good one even though the cholesterol reading might not be and in such cases the GP might think a slight lifstyle change is all that is required - or even nothing at all.

That is why the doctor has just said "cut out the crap"

LowrieT
08-04-10, 22:13
I have a cholestrol reading of 7.1 but because I have 4.9 of HDL or good cholestrol I am sent away with a 'good' reading.

jayr10
09-04-10, 14:41
thanks for the reply's i just when to the the doctors today and was told that it is proven fact that HA is a real factor in cholesterol! would never have guessed she told me to keep eating better and i am goin to do CBT she said as soon as i start to feel better in my self il have blood tests again and i sould see a definitive change

melvin
09-04-10, 19:39
mine was 65 last yr i packed up sugar and chocs went down to 5 next step smoking

countrygirl
09-04-10, 19:58
doctors work out your ratio of good to bad and as long as your ratio is under 5% then you don't need medication - my total is 7.4 but my ratio is 4.3 so this is fine.

Stress and thryroid problems can make your cholesterol rise.

My husband has very low total reading but his ratio is same as mine!

Jannie2948
09-04-10, 20:22
Mine was 6.2 and I have completely changed my diet. I have never smoked and I haven't drunk alcohol for about 6 months, I have also lost quite a bit of weight, still need to lose more though! I will ask my Dr if I need to have another test. My blood was tested for anything and everything and the only problem was my cholesterol so I didn't feel too bad. My friend at work has a reading of 11.5 and another friend's husband has a reading of 9.2 so I didn't think mine was too bad after that. I hope to get it tested again to see how it is reading now.

Jannie x x

Worry-wart
11-12-10, 03:48
I scored 6.9

HDL = 48
Triglycerides = 390 :(
LDL = 207

Doctor is saying that with my weight that it is most likely genetic. I have since cut out all fats except 9600 mg of fish oil.

The scariest thing is that I've lost my job and my insurance is about to expire so my doctor isn't going to prescribe me a statin because I won't be able to afford the liver function tests. :(

I've invested in some Red Yeast Rice and Co-Q10 and will be home testing every so often.

I could burn some of this belly fat off as well.

Zee
11-12-10, 11:36
Mine was 6.2 also and Doc said cut down red meats ( I dont eat red anyway), dont drink ( I dont drink alcohol at all) and cut down the dairy...ahh well, I loved my dairy but I have minimised the cheese and milk. He was not over concerned about the reading, just slight dietry alterations.

JaxynMija
11-12-10, 15:42
Nah its not too high... Its high but not dangerously so. A few lifestyle changes that are easy and your number will fall...

There is a relationship between anxiety and high colesterol too, I just cant remember off the top of my head what it is (id normally google but Im on a google ban) ... somthing about high anxiety means high cortosil levels (and anotehr hormone too) and this can affect your cholesterol... Somthin g to look into