PDA

View Full Version : Paxil

jothenurse
09-04-10, 01:27
My MD wants me to start on Paxil - with a very low dose for 5 days of 5 mg. I am terrified, because I tried Celexa for two days and had a terrible panic attack. I am very scared to take pills. After the 5 days at 5 mg., I am supposed to up it 5 mg every week until it gets to 20 mg. Does anyone have any words of encouragement?

jothenurse
09-04-10, 04:25
Also - the pharmacist said I could take it either in the morning or at night. Thought I would take it at night because she said it could make you a little tired.

Humungousfungus
09-04-10, 14:59
He wants to put you on paxil for anxiety? All I can say is 'no no no no no!' You think Celexa is bad? Paxil is much worse, does your MD prescribe leeches too?

I hear nothing but horror stories about this stuff and everyone that I know who became dependant on it, pretty much near ripped their mind apart coming off it.

There are better safer meds if you need them, get a second opinion, even a third and best of all educate yourself.

best o luck.

jothenurse
09-04-10, 16:02
I started the Paxil 5 mg. last night. I am not going to take it any more. Couldn't sleep well - woke up with a headache and very panicky. Took .25 Ativan, but may need to take more. I only took the one pill at a very low dose - will the effects of that one pill be gone quickly?

suzy-sue
09-04-10, 19:27
You will nearly always get side effects from these type of Drugs .What you describe is very common ,but it will pass .You feel worse before you feel better .The drug paxil is called Seroxat here .Like with any ssri slow graduall withdrawal is necessary done over a few months to lessen the Discontinuation syndrome .You should never come off these drugs without gradually weaning ..It affects the chemicals in the Brain so obviously you are going to get some sort of reaction whilst the body adjusts .Seroxat is not the worst type of ssri ,every one reacts differently and its very sucessfully treats many people .I know some one who was on it for anxiety and depression for seven years .Trust your Dr ..You need to give these drugs time to work ,as there is no Magic pill unfortunately ..You should feel better after 3-4 weeks maybe sooner and the full benefits are apparent at weeks 6-8.If you stop now you will feel ok in a couple of days ,maybe earlier .Ask your Dr for Sertraline or Venlafaxine ..both are good for anxiety ..Good Luck Sue x