PDA

View Full Version : Is Nasonex nosespray safe?

jnuz
09-04-10, 06:58
Hi,

i went to the doc about my ringin ears and recently i also get this really low hum sound with vibration/fluttery feeling in my ears. They did a hearing test and looked ear pressure and told me everything seems fine. Dr said i might have tinnitus. I also have this constant stuffy nose feeling (it's not much, but i feel like my nose is not 100% clear), and it's worse on one side.

Dr prescribed me with Nasonex nose spray. I tried it two times and it really made the nose clear and seemed to help. Then i wanted to know if maybe my lightheaded feeling was about my nose not getting enough air and if Nasonex has helped anybody but on the contrary i googeled a page where everybody was saying this Nasonex causes palpitation, high blood pressure and axiety and etc. All the symptoms i'm trying to avoid. It hasn't been mentioned on the medication leaflet, but then everybody there was saying that since it's based on steroid, it still gets from nose to the system and steroids cause exaclty those symptoms.

Maybe there's some herbal options? Anyways i'm too scared of steroids and that Nasonex spay right now. Damn you google!

Jannie2948
09-04-10, 07:15
Hi there

I've used Nasonex spray for years and found it really works, but this is the first time I have heard it being linked to anxiety. Makes me wonder though, I'm so glad I never googled it before because it has really helped me. I started using it about 6 years ago and my Dr has never linked it to my anxiety/panic but now you say about the google information I might have a look!! The trouble is, like you, I have a blocked nose and it is always worse on one side than the other and this changes from side to side. The Nasonex really clears it but now I'm worried about using it. I knew it had steroids in it but I thought they were very low, but you're saying that steroids can be linked to anxiety, oh blooming hell, what to do for the best. I know I would sooner have a blocked nose and a peaceful mind so maybe I'll stop the Nasonex and see what happens. I did used to use over the counter nose sprays but they made the condition worse and was told by the Dr not to use them as they were more or less useless!

Never tried any herbal remedies so maybe I'll look into that.

Thanks for your info into this and if I find a herbal remedy I'll let you know and maybe you could do the same if you find anything :-)

All the best to you

Jannie x x

jnuz
09-04-10, 07:22
Hi Jannie,

the place i looked is here: http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20762&name=NASONEX

At the same time, most of the people there say that it helps with the nose.
But then again, if you had anxiety before and it has stayd the same during Nasonex, i wouldn't worry ;) If you've been using it for years then it's probably fine with you.

Best of luck,
Jaanus

Jannie2948
09-04-10, 07:36
Hi Jaanus

I've just read the web site and it has really made me think. I've often wondered if there was a link to this medication and my anxiety, maybe there is! I'll definitely not use it again after reading lots of those posts because they exactly describe how I have been feeling for some time. I will try and find another remedy for my blocked nose rather than keep using this.

Many thanks

Good luck to you

Jannie x x

jnuz
09-04-10, 12:27
I'm not sure if i did you a favour or viceversa but you are welcome :)
If you can you could check it out with your doctor and also let me know. I think when i have some bisness to my GP i will ask her oppinion on the matter.

Have a good weekend ;)

Jaanus

ladybird64
09-04-10, 13:01
I had a look at this site too although I'm not a HA sufferer I was curious!

I looked at the information given about this particular medication and then had a look at others, including medication that I take myself.
Seriously, if people listened to this they wouldn't take anything!

I'm not being insensitive and I can understand your concerns but I honestly can't see why anyone would just want to give up taking something that has worked successfully for them for years!

I take corticosteroids and have done for years, I have to because of asthma. They are certainly a powerful drug but the amount in a nasal spray is minimal and they really are effective at reducing inflammation in allergy related problems.

I think there is nothing wrong in looking into possible side effects of medication but I think sometimes there is a temptation to look for a "culprit" for our anxieties as it's so often hard to believe that is no apparent "cause"...we are looking for answers and it is easier to try and blame something outside of our own control.

Again, please don't think Im being unsympathetic but I really think it's wise to weigh up the benefits of medication given vs possible side effects and to discuss with your GP before making the decision to stop medication.

A site like this is useful in it's way but of course it focuses on the bad effects, I wonder in comparison how many people have been successfully treated and continue to be helped by their medication?

Just another perspective on things :flowers:

jnuz
09-04-10, 16:30
Yes, actually i do agree with it, Ladybird. If a person with anxiety read no matter what leaflet it most likeley has something in it that makes as more anxoius. I have had those issues couple of times myself, but then i really needed to take the medicine so i overcame it :)

Jannie2948
09-04-10, 18:51
I do agree with this, but it does seem coincidental that the web site that you directed me to most of those that have posted on there say that it heightens anxiety. I have suffered with this for some years but I can honestly say that it has become worse over the past few years and reached a climax late last year. I would not just go by what other people have said but I would sooner eliminate something and to see if my anxiety lessens. I can live quite easily with a blocked nose, but this anxiety/panic disorder is terrible and I just wish I could eliminate this as easily. I have been on this spray for about 6 years so I am willing to try not using it to see if my anxiety gets any better.

Thanks for your post though and I do understand about medication that has to be taken, I suffered so badly with a blocked nose in the beginning that I had to use it but I am going to try and do without it to see how I go.

Many thanks

Jannie

gypsywomen
09-04-10, 18:59
i think olbas oil is good

guitarpants
09-04-10, 19:04
I've used nasonex. You have to use it for a bit before it starts having a real effect. It's a nasal steroid spray, but unlike oral cortiosteroids like prednisone, it doesn't get in the bloodstream, and if it does, it's in trace amounts, not really enough to cause anxiety or upset your adrenal balance. It's safe, and it works. If after using it for a week or so, you get worse lightheadedness or headaches, then stop using it. That's just your sinus/nasal passages being oversqueezed (the nasal spray opens your nasal and sinus passages by constricting blood vessels).

suzy-sue
09-04-10, 19:13
OTRIVINE Nasal spray is excellent ..I also use olbas oil especially when I have a cold or catarrh ,its very good and helps break down the Mucus .. Sue

Lissy43
09-04-10, 20:23
Of course it is 'safe', drugs are tried and tested for a very long time before they are prescribed to patients so don't worry.

Teere are side effects with all medications, you just don't know until you try BUT I had Nasonex for years, still do take it when my nostrils and ears block up and I have always been fine. Just try not to over use it or you may have nosebleeds, limit to once a day.

guitarpants
10-04-10, 04:03
Haha my doctor just gave me nasonex again today.