PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

Andy26
14-02-04, 20:47
Hi all,

I'm Andy (26) from Shropshire. I've been in the chat room on off for a few months now so thought I'd introduce myself properly...

I'm quite confused about exactly what it is I suffer from and how it all connects together but my main problem is eating in front of other people. I can 'survive' (never enjoy) some situations but it seems the more formal the situation the worse it is - the ultimate being eating at somebody else's house which I just can't do. I get a panic attack in these situations - symptoms being nausea, dry mouth, loss of appetite, inability to swallow, sweating and wanting to just get out of there. Obviously some of these symptoms are particularly bad if you're attempting to eat - I usually end up chewing a mouthful for 10 minutes and eventually washing it down with water. Now I just avoid these situations altogether which I know is not good. Recently a friend came to my house and cooked for us which I thought might be ok - but it was just as bad.

I also feel really uncomfortable in many social situations - I don't like parties, pubs, clubs etc and I don't really drink. As a consequence I hardly go out and have very few friends. Is this a phobia though or am I just different to everyone else? Where does being different stop and being socially phobic start?

I know I have very little confidence or self esteem and I'm sure tackling this would be a good start.

Sorry for rambling - if anybody has similar problems particularly with the eating feel free to contact me.

Thanks for reading

nomorepanic
14-02-04, 21:47
Hi Andy

Good to see you here after chatting for so long in the Chat room and your pic is on the members page so everyone can see you there too.

I will let the lovely folks here reply to you as we talk all the time - I just wanted to welcome you here :)

xx

Nicola

benoo5
14-02-04, 22:32
hi andy mate,

wot your describing is social-anxiety,its very common with people who suffer anxiety,and also people that dont.let me explain..you may meet a new friend,and her family invite you to dinner..so your sitting there,and you feel as if everyones looking at you..truth is matey,they are looking at you..well think about it,there used to look at each other day in,day out,so your a new face to look at!

anyone,a sufferer or not,would feel anxious in this situation..so really,your just normal!

i dont go to many parties,probably cos no one wants me there lol..but if i do,and i walk into a room,wheres theres just females,i will walk out,cos i know i will feel uncomfortable..but i dont suffer from anxiety!

theres a fine line, between being a social phobe,and just being shy...best wishes..bryan.

Buby
15-02-04, 01:39
Hi Andy,

i hate eating in front of ppl cause im very self aware of what i look like when i am eating. Its not you trust us, i bet loads of ppl will post on here sayin the same thing that they feel it too. I have times when i cant swallow then i panic but then i say to myself 'the more u panic the worse itll be' and then i have a drink even if i still have the food in my mouth.

It might be hard for u facing ure fears but some ppl tell me too face my fears even though mine are impossible to face, well some neway. But if u can try to go to more of these parties and invite friends round. Dont feel u have to do it but it might b good for u.

As long as u enjoy life on the days u dont panic, youll enjoy life alot more!

Hugs Rachel xxx

florence
18-02-04, 18:24
Hi Andy
Nice to see you on the forum!
I really do understand how bad you feel. All those uncomfortable symptoms you described, I get them too, but in other situation.
I know that it's not easy for us to have friends in our environment and surroundings, but today , I know that I have lots of friends, thanx to this site.
I want you to be sure of something, you can overcome it, no matter how long you felt like this.
We've been chatting lately, and I can tell that I found a friend (you)
You've been so supportive, and I want to do the same for you.;)
Hope you're well. tc .
Florence. xx

stephen
18-02-04, 21:18
Hi,Andy,welcome to the NMP forum.(we,ve met in the chatroom).I know its no consolation,but i can empathise with so much of what you are saying.I have what many people would consider a difficult job (i work with prison inmates on an educational/rehabilitation basis)yet,99% of the time i feel perfectly o.k at work!However put me in a shop or driving my car or ,like you in most social situations and i "fall apart"!!! My panic attacks sarted about a year ago and i,m still trying to make sense of them.My g.p.(who is a woman,and i find that helpful,for some reason),is brilliant and i know she has really helped me make progress.I,m now starting to understand that a lot of trauma i suffered as a child(even though i,m now 46 lol!)have made me what i am!Also a broken marriage from a woman i adored and, subsequently a broken relationship from a woman i,d have done anything for (but,who,sadly,didnt feel the same way!)have led me to here.Ironically,my situation makes me good at my job because i understand other peoples problems!I do my best to try and stay positive,Andy but it aint easy sometimes.so i do understand where you are coming from ,mate,believe me!!I get fed up of being on my own but i hope to meet someone who understands me as a person.In the meantime i keep telling myself i,m a good man who tries to do his best.This is a great site ,Andy and,like me you will find some lovely ,genuine people here.Take care, mate and keep in mind ........you are not alone! All the best ,Steve (see you in the chatroom)

paul
19-02-04, 17:49
hello andy,ive seen you in the chat room too.id thought id say welcome ,as im scanning the forum at the moment.hope you find the advice on here helpful,all the best..........paul:)

twister
22-02-04, 00:33
Hey Andy

Nice to see you hear - get any pixies tickets???

Emily