PDA

View Full Version : Really worried about heartburn and new symptoms

sunflower7
09-04-10, 16:34
Hi There,
I posted before I went on holiday about having heartburn for weeks. I thought it may go away whilst on holiday but it hasn't. I am so scared as its not normal to have heartburn EVERYDAY for about 2 1/2 months now. I have also noticed that after I eat a meal I get a pain in my chest which goes through to my back between the shoulder blades. It also feels as if the food gets stuck sometimes and sits there for a while. I am really worried that I have cancer or something. I normally go to the Doctor with everything but this time I am too scared as i have a feeling it will be bad news. Please can someone help me. I am so frightened its beginning to take over my life :weep:

Delirious
09-04-10, 16:40
I can understand why you are worried. Having heartburn daily can be worrying. I was just wondering what medication you are on, if any? Sometimes a side effect of medication is heartburn. I know that Citalopram gives you heartburn constantly if you are on it for long enough. Perhaps just speak to your doctor about it. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation.

sunflower7
09-04-10, 16:43
Hi There,
Thanks for your help. I am taking Doselupin anti depressants and also thyroxine. I don't think its caused by them though as I have been on the anti depressant for about 12 years and the thyroxine 5 years. I am so scared.

Regards

sunflower7
11-04-10, 10:19
Please can anyone else offer any advice? I am going out of my mind with worry :weep:

Peter_Scott
11-04-10, 11:19
Hi OP, I do know a bit of what you are going through especially with not wanting wanting to go to the doc because you know something is wrong. A abnormality was found on my brain stem last year, can not be removed due to the location, I avoided going to the doctor for ages even though I have daily headaches and other neuro symptoms for over two months, in about 2 weeks I will have a new MRI and then I will not be able to hide from the truth. I have already decided not to have treatment if it is, and they can not operate on the brain stem, so you may say what is the point in knowing? Well as someone pointed out on here, knowing is not going to change the outcome.

As for your heart burn I suspect it is just that and nothing to worry about. The thing is you should treat it otherwise it could cause more problems later on down the road.

The doc can give you something to reduce the acid and all should be well. If it continues after this they may do an upper GI scope, only takes a bout 15 mins and you can go home.

You could try eating small meals more often, rather than 3 main meals, say every two hours?

Also some people find pure lemon juice in water can help the heart burn, it is acid but when it hits the human acid in your digestive system it turns alkaline and helps with the burning pain from indigestion.

Try to relax as we all know anxiety plays silly with our digestion,

Good luck, Peter

stressbunny
11-04-10, 11:24
Is there a trigger do you think...mine is red wine and cheese strangely...

It is definitely worth a trip to the doctor - it will be easily sorted, but not on its own..

(if you are not going to go to docs, have u tried liquid gaviscon? helps me)

sunflower7
11-04-10, 12:48
Thank You everyone for your help. Peter- I am so sorry to her what you are going through. I really hope your MRI goes ok and that there is something that can be done for you. Please know that people are thinking about you. I will go back to the Doctor and hopefully all will be ok.

Regards

Peter_Scott
11-04-10, 17:58
Thank you sunflower it is nice of you to say people are thinking of me.

Health anxiety is the pits, I have had it all my life, and now that I am truly ill, it makes you really think about all the years I worried about nothing, what a waist.

Everyone with HA runs the risk of the doctors not believing them when you are really ill, your records at the docs follow you from one doctor to another. At one time I found I had a red sticker on my notes to warn doctors that I had HA.

At the moment I live one day at a time, this is all we can do afterall. Try not to worry OP but get the acid stomach sorted, then you will be fine,

Peter

katy3142
12-04-10, 17:30
hi there sunflower, it sounds like u are experiencing similar symptoms to me. i have recently, well since january experiencing heartburn alot of the time and a tight throat. i also feel like i have a really tight chest and feel full and uncomfortable, like there is a lump in my throat and it really worries me, even though my doctor and people advise its anxiety. its awful :( i am having a particularly bad day and feel quite nauseas today, but generally have this symptom all the time :(

Jan63
12-04-10, 22:36
I had exactly the same symptoms about 18 months ago and the doctor said it was acid reflux and put me on Omeprazole. Ask your doctor for some, I'm sure it would help. :)

janni
13-04-10, 00:02
Sounds like acid reflux hunny. It's not pleasant and I can relate to your pain. Doctor gave me Lansoprazole and if I miss one pill in the am by evening the acid is burning into my chest and throat. There is medications on prescription to make this better. It is common I think amongst anxiety sufferers.

Spagetti
13-04-10, 01:08
Hi Sunflower,

My mum suffered from bad heart burn and ended up getting it everyday. After several weeks she went to see her GP and it turned out a bug was causing it- helicobacter I think its called. Antibiotics cleared it up.

Its definately worth your while going to see your doctor. Even if the cause is anxiety they can prescribe meds to help, as the above poster said. xx

sunflower7
13-04-10, 09:56
Thank You to everyone for your help and advice. My Doctor has prescribed a months course of Ranitidine but I am worried to take it as the list of side effects are endless! I have had two allergic reactions to drugs in the past and so am scared to take anything now! I will have to try it though to see if it helps. I keep thinking one minute that its acid reflux then when I get a pain in mychest and back I think its cancer or somthing. I know it sounds silly but my mind just goes in to overdrive and I think the worst. Thanks again for everyones help.

Regards :flowers:

Peter_Scott
13-04-10, 11:35
I would ask for Omeprazole, it seems to have very few side effects, and it is very effective for acid problems,

Peter

blondie47
13-04-10, 15:14
Please can anyone else offer any advice? I am going out of my mind with worry :weep:

Are you overweight? How old are you? If you are overweight, even by a little, or over 40; heartburn everyday is quite common.

sunflower7
13-04-10, 18:01
Are you overweight? How old are you? If you are overweight, even by a little, or over 40; heartburn everyday is quite common.

Yes I am about 3 stone overweight :blush:. I am 36 so not getting any younger!!!

NeverRelaxed
13-04-10, 19:23
HEY!

I struggle with same probs. Been put on Omeprazole..It works ok..Still have issues though re: discomfort/breathing issues..I think its been bad the last few days cos I overdid it on the ales over the weekend!

I get that "stuck" feeling you describe..more with drink than food though really...and I get the back pain..Before I started on the meds It was horrible..I had chest tightness/wheezing episodes..felt awful!! now, everything has cleared up 90%...I think I may have a hernia so need to ask for endoscopy..But again, thats probably just me and my anxiety thinking tht I have something I dont!

cattia
13-04-10, 20:44
I had terrible heartburn a few years ago, and it got so bad that I was in awful pain after every meal. It went right the way through my chest and back and between my shoulder blades. I was prescribed omperazole too which helped but I believe the real cause was stress and anxiety, and once I got my anxiety in check, it slowly went away. I have never had it since even when my anxiety has been bad since, but I think the more I worried about it the worse it got.

blondie47
13-04-10, 21:01
Yes I am about 3 stone overweight :blush:. I am 36 so not getting any younger!!!

I always have to remember what stone is compared to pounds. Love posting here w/you Brits! :)

I think you're going to be o.k. One thing I will warn you though - stress and worry make acid reflux much worse. I have it all the time due to age and a hiatal hernia, but I never notice when I'm not worrying.

The medications that are prescribed will work wonders, but you are going have to calm yourself down a little bit in order for them to take hold. I know, easier said than done, but I've been there done that and hate to see someone else go through it too.

NeverRelaxed
13-04-10, 21:31
did any of you fellow reflux sufferers ever get a lot of discomfort at and along the top of your stomach..just below sternum?

skippy66
13-04-10, 21:43
did any of you fellow reflux sufferers ever get a lot of discomfort at and along the top of your stomach..just below sternum?

Yes I get this a lot, but for me it's not the typical burning pain that's associated with hernia gerd etc, it's a horrible stabbing crushing type pain that comes and goes. It's awful and feels like a heart attack every time.

Lanzoprazole gave me a rash, pantoprazole gave me serious lower stomach pain so I don't know where to go from here :(

trev1234
13-04-10, 21:55
i started a post on my symptoms about 2weeks a go...i wake up still with heart burn ...my main worry is the mild pain in my throat somewhere..its the side i sleep on the most..it doesnt hurt to eat food tho...still scares the pants of me every day..seems like a popular thread..lots looking at this kind of post..i do drink to much on the night time.and i love spicy food...yes im also a little over weight shall we say ....any more info ?

NeverRelaxed
13-04-10, 22:28
Yes I get this a lot, but for me it's not the typical burning pain that's associated with hernia gerd etc, it's a horrible stabbing crushing type pain that comes and goes. It's awful and feels like a heart attack every time.

Lanzoprazole gave me a rash, pantoprazole gave me serious lower stomach pain so I don't know where to go from here :(

HMM, ITS NT REALLY A PAIN AS SUCH FOR ME..JUST A BLOATY KINDA DISCOMFORT...

(sorry abt caps..cba to re-type it! haha)

sunflower7
14-04-10, 14:58
Thanks Again to evryone for your help. It very comforting to know that people have experinced the same. I am trying to ignore the heartburn but its not easy. I am a bit more relaxed now but its still in the back of my mind what could be causing it. It does seem a common problem though. I panicked as when i typed 'constant heartburn' in to google you can imagine what came up!! Stomach cancer, ovarian cancer, bowel cacer. It also said thet daily episodes of heartburn 'should be taken very seriously'. I know I shouldn't google :blush:. I didn't realise that the pain I get in my back and shoulders was could be caused by indigestion. Learning all the time!!

Thanks again everyone x

sunflower7
14-04-10, 15:03
Would just like to add that i burp a lot of the time and get hiccups most evenings. Do you think this is connected or should I be more worried???

Thanks