PDA

View Full Version : DVT and imporant flight coming up....

saz2121
10-04-10, 08:28
Hi Folks,

Any feedback would be appreciated. I've been a little 'wobbly' these past few days after reading some scaremongering atricles on the daily mail website.... about DVT.

First of all a young lassie (cheerleader and very active) died 11 hours after getting a clot in her leg and the next day, one popped up about a 30 yr old who died from a clot after ten years on the pill....

I'm due to get married abroad in a couple of months. I'm no stranger to long haul flights but i am absolutly terrified something happens this year because it's sooo important i be there... i'm the BRIDE!

I did a 10 hour flight last year (didn't enjoy my hol as it was 3 weeks after i just about recovered from Salmonella) and my legs started to puff up slightly about 2.5 hours into the flight. I put my flight socks on and it didn't seem to come to anything.

I'm not as active as i should be and i'm on the pill. Does everyones legs ache a little and you get agitated on flights? I try my best to do excersices in my seat and i get up for a toddle every now and then but this time I'M TERRIFIED!

I keep thinking 'it would be just my luck!'. I know i'm going to keep checkinng on the flight and i'll be scared to fall asleep.

Would a few vodkas before i go on the flight thin my blood!!? I've never had any problems before apart from the acheing and the slight puffyness and i've been flying my whole life. My mum tends to swell a little on flights too.

I need some reassurance! Is there anything i dan do to prevent this!?

xxx

Maj
10-04-10, 09:10
Hi there,
Well I hate flying but do it because I have to, and dvt does always come into your mind. But honestly, I think if it was such a common problem then they just wouldn't allow certain people to fly. It's very unfortunate that it does happen to some people but it's like anything else, some people are just prone to certain types of illness. There's hundreds/thousands of flights the world over each day and most people on them get through them no problem. I think it's quite common for ankle swelling, etc. on flights. You're probably getting a bit uptight about your wedding and are focussing on this, which we'd all do!! I don't see any harm in having a couple of drinks to relax you. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine and go on to have a wonderful time, so please don't let this fear spoil it for you.:hugs:
Myra x

Peter_Scott
10-04-10, 11:34
Hi,
My Father suffered from DVT but still flys. The advice of the doctors is anyone on long haul flights should get up and walk about the air plane every 20 mins, also if possible wear elasticated support socks available from any chemist and on some planes. Also drink plenty of water, not alcohol before and during long haul flights,

Peter

pink17
10-04-10, 15:32
i have had a dvt,but i will still fly but will have to take all the advice my doc gives me,when sat for a long time,do leg exercises,get up when can,dont drink alcohol!drink water x

suzy-sue
10-04-10, 15:48
Take a couple of Aspirins ,fizzy ones are better .A few hours before your flight ,this will thin your blood .That and the stockings ,excrcises and walking about ,will prevent anything as best as you can do ..Have a lovely Wedding ..Luv Sue x