PDA

View Full Version : Ovarian cancer worry - please help

JulesD
10-04-10, 11:00
Hi I am sorry i am not on here much I have bouts of H/A and inbetween my bouts i stay away from the computer when I am well. I am having another bout of it which has again coincided in a bout of IBS, my last bout of IBS started when i reduced my citalopram and the doctors said it had triggered a flare, never the less I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, celiac tests all came back normal, so they diagnosed IBS, this latest bout has been the worst. Evertime I eat i have stomach cramps and diarrhea after eating, headaches and tiredness and a touch of heartburn. The doctor said it was classic IBS and gave me peppermint oil and Mebeverin which has completely settled my stomach apart from the occasional griping pain. My fear is that it is ovarian cancer and no one has picked up on it and the tablets are masking the symptoms. I had bad sciatica for a day that has now gone, that was a week ago but now I have read that leg pain is another symptom of ovarian cancer along with cramps and diarrhea.

I did mention Ovarian cancer to my doctor and he said "no you are classic IBS".

I am going out of my mind with worry my H/A always arises when i have a bad IBS flare up, but the flare up comes before the H/A starts so its not stress thats triggering the flare ups.

sorry for the ramble I have been googling all day and night looking for reassurance and its not helping.

Many thanks

marley
10-04-10, 13:50
Step away from the computer and stop undermining your doctor with Google. Google is a terrible and inferior replacement for a medical doctor. I'm sure you already know this, but I'm reiterating.

Google is a search engine based on a series of logarithms. It has no medical training, and ABSOLUTELY no ability to diagnose. I can't stress this enough to any person with any type of anxiety issue. It can not examine you or take your circumstances into account; it certainly can't see you and physically evaluate you. Please stop using it to do your research or reassurance, because Google is not sympathetic to your intention.

OK, now. About your symptoms.

Ovarian cancer can't be masked by IBS drugs. The 2 cause pain by totally separate mechanisms. Cancer is a flaw which continues to replicate in cells; the pain is not caused by the diseased cells - it is caused by the pressure of a growing cancerous tumour against organs and muscles. This type of pain is continuous and is unlikely to subside without intervention.

Trust in your doctor, and in their ability to diagnose you. You've been sent for tests including colonoscopy. This tells me your doctor would have no problem in submitting you for further testing if they had ANY inclination that your problem was more serious than IBS. Take confidence in the fact that they were adamant it was not.

Marley.

JulesD
10-04-10, 16:58
Marley

Thank you so much for your reply, I love your straight talking response it really does give me a wake up call, and shakes some sense into my irrational brain. Thanks again for taking time to reply.