PDA

View Full Version : Was feeling great and then got abnormal smear result and now im relapsing, help!

mary3
11-04-10, 15:48
I am absolutly gutted, I was just having a really good few weeks, i had read the book by Dr Claire weekes and was in such a positive frame of mind. All my anxiety symptoms had improved and i had also stopped taking my pulse, really felt like i had cracked it this time and then i got my smear test results.

Turns out i have severe dsykaryosis, which means i have abnormal cells on my cervix that needs treatment in 2 weeks. Im trying to be positive about it but on the letter straight after the diagnosis it says 'this is unlikely to be cancer'. Just about the worst thing you can say to someone with health anxiety right?!

I no i shouldnt but i googled, i mainly found positve stories but i keep remembering the negative like the stage ive got is the one before cancer and that they do a biopsy which then i will have to wait for the results to see if mine is pre cancerous or cancer. All the references to cancer is what i am finding really hard.

All sorts of scenerios are running through my mind, including the one where i have to say good bye to my babies.

I just dont know how it got severe so quick, i am 29 and have had 2 previous tests, one 3 years ago which came back normal.

To make matters worse i am getting all my old anxiety symptoms, the ectopics came back yesterday and last night i was so tired and kept feeling new symptoms like heavy arms. And i kept falling asleep on the sofa really early in the evening so in my tired mind i kept thinking 'oh your tired because you have cancer' and then i was trying to stay awake to prove that i didnt and this was making me feel worse.

Ive now got to wait 2 weeks for my appointment so i know im just going to keep feeling worse. My rational side knows that really its good news that its been detected as now it can be treated and it is meant to take years to develop onto cancer, but my anxious side has so much more power, giving me negative thoughts and new anxiety symptoms to deal with.

Sorry for the long rambling post, just needed to get this out! Any advice about the procedures involved with an abnormal smear result would be very much appreciated.

jothenurse
11-04-10, 16:06
I have had positive paps in the past. I also have had my cervix frozen because I had dysplasia (abnormal cells - not cancer cells, but they want to take care of them so they don't turn into cancer cells). So, this can usually be taken care of. I know I worried, too, but try not to. Sometimes they just do another repeat pap after a few months.

Cell block H fan
11-04-10, 17:06
I am absolutly gutted, I was just having a really good few weeks, i had read the book by Dr Claire weekes and was in such a positive frame of mind. All my anxiety symptoms had improved and i had also stopped taking my pulse, really felt like i had cracked it this time and then i got my smear test results.

Turns out i have severe dsykaryosis, which means i have abnormal cells on my cervix that needs treatment in 2 weeks. Im trying to be positive about it but on the letter straight after the diagnosis it says 'this is unlikely to be cancer'. Just about the worst thing you can say to someone with health anxiety right?!

I no i shouldnt but i googled, i mainly found positve stories but i keep remembering the negative like the stage ive got is the one before cancer and that they do a biopsy which then i will have to wait for the results to see if mine is pre cancerous or cancer. All the references to cancer is what i am finding really hard.

All sorts of scenerios are running through my mind, including the one where i have to say good bye to my babies.

I just dont know how it got severe so quick, i am 29 and have had 2 previous tests, one 3 years ago which came back normal.

To make matters worse i am getting all my old anxiety symptoms, the ectopics came back yesterday and last night i was so tired and kept feeling new symptoms like heavy arms. And i kept falling asleep on the sofa really early in the evening so in my tired mind i kept thinking 'oh your tired because you have cancer' and then i was trying to stay awake to prove that i didnt and this was making me feel worse.

Ive now got to wait 2 weeks for my appointment so i know im just going to keep feeling worse. My rational side knows that really its good news that its been detected as now it can be treated and it is meant to take years to develop onto cancer, but my anxious side has so much more power, giving me negative thoughts and new anxiety symptoms to deal with.

Sorry for the long rambling post, just needed to get this out! Any advice about the procedures involved with an abnormal smear result would be very much appreciated.

It sends you demented when you have an abnormal result doesn't it.
I was young (20) & we didn't have the net when it happened to me. And I tried asking the doctor but they did nothing to reassure me back then.
I ended up going to London for a colposcopy, they did a biopsy, the waiting is horrible yes, but mine was CIN 11 so they were able to treat it. I have had yearly smears ever since, up until 3 years ago which was when I had the last one, they have been fine ever since, due one a few months ago so I need to get that booked!
They even said about 10 years ago that I dont have any signs of the HP virus in my body anymore, which pleased me because I know that can hang around forever if it wants to! I'm 39 now. Have a 15 yr old boy & 13 yr old girl. The 13 yr old has just had the HPV jabs.
Good luck with it, & remember its very common.
:hugs:

mary3
12-04-10, 12:34
Thank you for your reply, its reasuring to no other people have been through this.
Ive just got to stay positive and try and keep on top of my health anxiety as i dont want to slip back to how bad i was feeling a few weeks ago.
Hopefully when i go next tuesday they will give me some more reasurrances.