PDA

View Full Version : You Can Be Your "Old Self" (If You Want!!!)

Trev
19-01-06, 23:13
I wasn't going to post this but I changed my mind........and Piglet wanted to tease me anyway apparently, so here goes.

Firstly, the reason that I wasn't going to post it is because I didn't want to p**s anybody off if they're not going through a good time at the moment. But then I remembered what I was like a year ago. I was in a mess and desperate to hear anybody's story that showed you could overcome things and go back to your "old self" and do the things you used to do before "it" struck.

So, rewind to 12 months ago last week and I was in a right mess. Couldn't feed myself. Had a solid week of no sleep. All the great symptoms......chest pains, constant dizziness, agoraphobia setting in, palps, ectopics, etc, etc, etc. You all know the score, it's nothing new.

Fast forward to last week when I went skiing (I know, again. But life's too short and you can get some really cheap deals if you book late!). Anyway, had a fantastic time. Skiing everyday, drinking every night with a few very late ones thrown in. Met loads of new people in the hotel. Decided to do a helicopter ride over the mountains coz it was quite cheap and the weather was gorgeous. I decided it was a once in a lifetime chance so I went for it.
We had flight delays, long coach transfers, a 4.30am wake up call for return journey after drinking wine all night until past midnight. In short, loads of opportunity to panic or slip back but it never arrived.

Basically, I just wanted to post this to maybe help just one person coming on here for the first time. To show that you can get back to your "old self" if you want to. Although now I've been back there I think I'm happier with my "new self" anyway!! [^]

Hope I haven't p*ssed anyone off.....it's not meant in that way at all. It's just that I've seen loads of posts on here from people saying that they never hear of people getting back to their "old" selves so I wanted to redress the balance. Maybe the reason you don't hear of it is that most people, once "cured", don't want to ever come back to it and so as soon as they feel ok will try and forget it all as quickly as possible. Who knows?

Cheers,
Trev :D

emmy
19-01-06, 23:37
thats brill trev and thanks for the post u did for me... im sure you havent p****d anyone off i love reading the success stories it has helped me to get where i am and hope fully going further.. all the best

hugs emmy xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sus
20-01-06, 00:27
Hey Trev,

Well done on your skiing and all you did on hols. I dont think theres any reason that should piss people off. Same as post before mine i like reading success stories, it helps me too and motivates me, i think well if they can do it, I can do it too. And with that attitude I have managed to progress at a steady rate for the last few weeks. Again well done, thanks for all your help and I hope you carry on doing lots of things like the old self did. Sus, xx

Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.
Ralph Blum

Piglet
20-01-06, 09:42
Well done honey - I love stories like that and I promise not to tease you if you promise to do something about your dress sense.

Biggest well done:D

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Quirky
20-01-06, 10:16
Well done Trev, that's a great story and you have come a long way and done so well.
I don't think posting will upset anyone. I can understand on occasions success stories can depress people, at my worst I didn't read them as I used to think it seemed like everyone else was moving on and getting better except me, but now I find them inspiring.
I first had panic attacks in May 2003, I had one very acute week and then some general anxiety on and off for a couple of months after that. I had some CBT and by August 2003 I was back to my old self. I stayed anxiety free mostly until May 2005. Since July 2005 I have been having more problems on and off and it's taking longer this time but as I've done it before I know it's possible to recover. Some people will get over anxiety never to have it again and some will have the odd blips but it can be overcome in time. I think your post will give hope to alot of people so thanks for sharing your story :)

Lisa x

Jenny
20-01-06, 10:40
I too like to read 'Success Stories' It gives me hope. What I would like to know was there one thing that got you where you are to-day. Or was it lots of different things. I know it is down to hard work and I am getting there to a certain degree. I know there comes a time when you have to stop looking for a cure and start doing instead, it you see what I mean. I have spent £££££££s searching as I am sure many other have. If you could tell us the 'something' that just clicked with you (if that is possible) I would love to hear it.
Congratulations for where you have got to-day. I think it is great !!!

Jenny xxxxx

Ma Larkin
20-01-06, 11:06
I'm glad you've achieved so much Trev. I think we all get to a turning point in our life & I'm hoping that one morning i'll wake up & it will all be over. I'm a lot further on than i was 12 months ago, but not over it yet. I've been thinking about your dress sense Trev, people see to take the mickey!! I've got visions of corduroys & val doonican jumpers haha!! Les

RobyBaggio18
20-01-06, 11:51
Fashion sense?

He's a Londoner, Ive got visions of a man with a gold chain, leather jacket, selling fruit. :D

Meg
20-01-06, 11:52
I've seen him twice now and neither time did he look like Val ..

I shall report back next time in detail.

Trev - you have done brilliantly and I can't wait to see the report back from your next trip

Lesley- wish that did happen, but its a lot more subtle than that

Meg xx

Karen
20-01-06, 11:59
Well done Trev. Great that you've made such progress and are now feeling so much better.

It is good to read success stories because it gives those of us still struggling hope.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

trac67
20-01-06, 13:07
Trev,

Thats a brilliant post, and really does give everyone the willpower and fight to carry on, with the knowledge that it can be achieved.

You carry on posting all your success's mate, they are so good to read, although too many holidays and I am going to be ssoo jealous LOL.

And seeing as I met you at the conference in London, shall I tell everyone about your dress sense............nah let them all keep imagining, its much more fun [}:)]

Well done mate.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

RobyBaggio18
20-01-06, 13:09
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

And seeing as I met you at the conference in London, shall I tell everyone about your dress sense............nah let them all keep imagining, its much more fun [}:)]

<div align="right">Originally posted by trac67 - 20 January 2006 : 13:07:05</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Come on, were all dying to know.

I'm wearing a spiderman suit.

trac67
20-01-06, 14:46
Hmmm I could make some money here [}:)], bribery always works wonders LOL.

Love

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

pips
20-01-06, 15:01
WELL DONE Trev you did GREEEEAAAATTTT!!!!!!!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Trev
20-01-06, 15:49
Thanks for all the comments and replies. I'm glad it has helped and been taken it the way I meant it. I know I'm in a very fortunate position in that I am able to take holiday pretty much when I want. Anyway…….

Jenny, I've not found any magic cure and there's people a lot more equipped to talk on the issues than me (Meg for starters). I don't believe there is one thing you can do or buy. It's a combination in my opinion. And YOU make it happen in the end. I believe the answer is fairly simple, it's putting it in place that's difficult at times!
I'll tell you what I did in rough chronological order. I won't bore you with the run up details of my story so I'll just tell you what I did from the point when I was first diagnosed as being in an "anxiety state" by the neurologist. I'll keep it all as brief as poss. I was prescribed 25mg atenolol beta blockers which I took for about 3 months and then decided to stop. Apart from that I took nothing apart from vitamin supplements.

1) I was lucky that a friend's girlfriend brought me round a copy of Claire Weekes book "Self Help For Your Nerves". I hadn't a clue why she gave it to me at the time. After starting to read it I saw why and then I couldn't put it down. It didn't leave my side for about the next 6 months!
2) I started having acupuncture. This definitely helped, especially at the start.
3) I started doing yoga.
4) Joined "No Panic", the charity. OK, but I found it a bit too distant at the time. This site has been alot more use to me.
5) My girlfriend organised for us to go away to a very quiet place by the sea for a week. At the time I was on the verge of full agoraphobia, I had health anxiety and hadn't slept for a week. The idea was not too appealing at the time as you can imagine!!!……..especially as it meant getting on a plane as well. However, I reluctantly agreed and I'm glad I did. Spent most of the time wondering where the hospital was on this remote island but at least it started me on the road to relaxation and it gave me loads of time to read Claire Weekes in great detail!!
6) Started going for walks over the park every day. Kept trying to increase speed and distance as when I first started going I was shuffling along like an 80 year old and not even realising I was doing it.
7) Tried to eat as healthily as I could. Ate more bananas, nuts, sunflower seeds etc. As well as this I took a good multivitamin plus a few other supplements.
8) Cut out all caffeine and mainly drank camomile tea or water.
9) Started trying to play the guitar. This helped more than I imagined it would. Well, it helped me, but not those that had to listen to it!! :D
10) Bought Claire Weekes audio tape for the car and video tape for the home. (By now I'm an official Claire Weekes groupie!! lol)
11) I started seeing a general councillor who I was referred to via the GP. This lasted about 8 weeks and was ok. First thing she suggested was to buy Claire Weekes so she was a bit surprised when I could recite the book to her!
12) I did the Stress and Anxiety management course (again referred by GP). At first I said no to this as it was a group thing (and I had visions of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest!!) but then I thought "what the hell" and went to see their advisor and was told it was a course, not therapy. Decided to do it and it was great. I'm really glad that I did. I suppose it might depend on the people in your group and the lecturer, but I was lucky with both.
13) Tried to find out as much as I could about panic attacks etc by reading and looking on the internet. This meant that I found this website one day which was a god send.
14) Started exercising more and doing "proper" exercise, by which I mean football, cycling, swimming etc
15) Bought Meg's Anxiety Management course on cd.
16) Did the "Confidence Building" course through the same college as before.
17) Had a few holidays abroad along the way dotted in between all of this.
18) Currently doing the "Self Esteem" course at the same college again. (This is the 3rd of the 3 course so I guess I'm doing it for comp

seh1980
20-01-06, 16:26
[Wow!] Trev - that is FANTASTIC :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

alexis
20-01-06, 18:09
Hi Trev, how wonderful to read this post, I feel when I return to my normal self I will be stronger because I will have learnt from all this anxiety/depression and hopefully it will make me a much stronger person.
I could home in on the money making game too after meeting you in London, but to be wuite honest I dont really see what was wrong with your dress sense, after all Rupert Bear had one the same.xx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

RobyBaggio18
20-01-06, 18:18
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Ibut to be wuite honest I dont really see what was wrong with your dress sense, after all Rupert Bear had one the same.xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by alexis - 20 January 2006 : 18:09:38</div id="right">

Right, he either owns a red jumper, a yellow and black scarf or he's got a white hairy arse!!!

alexis
20-01-06, 18:58
Well I wouldnt know about the latter! :D

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

Jenny
20-01-06, 19:06
Thanks for your post Trev. From what you have said I think I am doing the right things. I am going to Yoga. Trying to do Water colour painting (not very well) and also gone back to a Salsa Dance Class, which is great fun. The diet part I am improving gradually, but there are times when my sweet tooth tries to take over.
Thanks again Trev.

Best wishes
Jennyxxxxxx

Trev
20-01-06, 19:36
Hi Alexis. It will make you stronger I'm sure. It's all a learning curve I suppose. Hope you are doing well?

As for the Rupert Bear bits, I really can't comment.

Jenny, stick with it. You need a treat now and then. My good food diet has slipped a bit. The odd "bad " thing has now been allowed back in!

There's no magic cure. Don't believe anyone who says there is. Usually there will be a large price tag attached to these claims. I found the way out to be a subtle balance of not caring about what happened at all (or pretending to!) and caring enough to put the right elements in place. And alot of patience!!

Ultimately, knowledge, acceptance, encouragement from others in the same boat and doing things (including exercise) were the key elements for me I suppose.

I'm off to comb my arse now!! And Roby, it's not a centre parting before you ask!!!

Cheers,

nomorepanic
20-01-06, 20:14
Trev

What a lovely positive post and I am so pleased to read it.

You have done fab mate and I am really chuffed for you.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your dress sense either!

Nicola

Trev
20-01-06, 20:38
Thanks Nic. Glad you have started your CBT now. I'm rooting for you and you know you can do it.

As for the dress sense, I think Piglet was referring to my leopard skin leotard that I wear to Swiss Ball and pilates. But then she wears nothing but pink leg warmers with orange stripes around them and bounces on her SuperTramp through a hole in her shed roof while spitting maltesers at her neighbours! And she thinks my dress sense is odd!!! I ask you. :D[}:)]:D

mico
20-01-06, 21:27
Inspiring post Trev.

I remember when you first came here. You have come a long way. Just the stuff I like to hear.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

Piglet
20-01-06, 21:52
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">As for the dress sense, I think Piglet was referring to my leopard skin leotard that I wear to Swiss Ball and pilates. But then she wears nothing but pink leg warmers with orange stripes around them and bounces on her SuperTramp through a hole in her shed roof while spitting maltesers at her neighbours! And she thinks my dress sense is odd!!! I ask you. :D[}:)]:D

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 20 January 2006 : 20:38:03</div id="right">

Damn I've been seen[:I]

I loved the bit about us evoluting - I am always evoluting when I am not spitting that is (you have to read exercise and panic attacks for that to make any sense new people).

Seriously that is true, we don't go back to being our old self we continue on our path and constantly become a new self every day, but hopefully able to cope better again.

Piglet xx

Trev
20-01-06, 22:35
Mico, I owe you a debt of thanks. Things have changed alot since that post. Along with Meg and Piglet you gave me the inspiration to make that push to the next level. I may not have made the leap that I needed to make without you guys encouraging me. Your experiences gave me that glimmer of confidence that I needed to push into the unknown. The rest, as they say, is history! Hope all's well with you Mico?

Piglet, I suppose it's a bit of a cliche, but it has shown me that life is most definitely a journey. Nothing in nature stays the same, so it's highly unlikely that we will remain unchanged. (Talking of which, you should change those leg warmers!! :D).
I suppose it shows we should never take anything for granted and we should strive to seek out the best in everything and every situation. Anyway, don't want to get too heavy for a Friday night!

Cheers,

mico
20-01-06, 23:28
You done the difficult bit Trev...and seem to have been doing it well. It's always good to hear positive stories and yours is definately in that category. Enjoy it.

I'm doing well, just haven't been around much to post lately.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

Chardonay
20-01-06, 23:52
Well done Trev,
Glad you had a good time.
Hugs.
Chardonnay.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror

Jenny
21-01-06, 11:05
Trev......I am getting some weird and wondeful pictures in my mind about your dress sense from what other have said on this post, but I don't care what you look like. This week you have helped me and made me smile with your replies.

Thanks
Jenny xxxxxxxxx

darkangel
21-01-06, 12:11
Hi there Trev

What a fantastic post - you are inspirational to others

It has been 8 and 1/2 years since I have felt my "old Self" but I always believed that by making small changes I would one day get back to or close to the "old me". But not too like it because the "old me" was what got me ill in the first place. I have learned so much about myself and by coming on this site and reading wonderful success stories like yours Trev that is what keeps me inspirational and positive.

I have been going for hypnosis over the past few weeks and there has been a distinct change in my thoughts. I had the most fantastic day yesterday and I did feel slight panic coming on a few times but I decided to just let it go as I was determined it wasnt going to spoil my day and evening. I have held on to my anxiety for so long, scared to let it go, because I was scared of being vulnerable and perhaps I had been trying to protect myself by hiding behind the barrier of anxiety. I have learned it is safe to let go and relax - something I have always been scared of.

By reading positive stories like yours Trev it continually gives me hope and encouragement to face life.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Trev
22-01-06, 17:14
Hi, I'm glad that the post has helped in some way. Glad to hear that you all seem to be making progress also.

However, I think the post has ruined my street cred in terms of fashion! ;):D

Cheers,
Trev

Piglet
22-01-06, 17:18
Lol :D:D:D:D

Piglet x

clickaway
23-01-06, 19:06
Trev,

What a great and encouraging post, and honestly mate, why care about how realistic your leopard spots are or the length of your 'tail' when you have suceeded like this.

You will certainly be seen as a role model for all our members now (whether or not you remember to include the word 'role'].:D:D

I really do not think there is any one way of dealing with this as we are all different and have all sorts of mental hurdles to cross. I often think how I came to be like this and to be honest its the culmination of hang-ups over the past 40 years. Sport and Exercise was never my bag when I was a well boy, so that's not the answer for me, although I do want to increase the walking, which should also help to dispell any agoraphobic tendencies I may have.

Of course, being your 'old self' is an interesting one. Winding the clock back a few years would certainly be excellent news, but given my history of thoughts before I even had minor panic attacks, I may well end up quite different.

Time will tell.

Thanks again Trev, what an inpiration!

[8D]

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Trev
24-01-06, 12:53
Hi Ray,

I don't know about being seen as a role model for members of NMP......there are many better than me for that position. I'm only the same as anyone else on here in many ways.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about the fact that there is no single answer. We all have an infinitely variable set of circumstances that have brought us to this site. For whatever reason we've all reached a point where we exhibit some common symptoms but the triggers for these are wide and sometimes very deep.
I often think about this issue so I'm really pleased you brought it up as I do think it's a very, very significant point.

In my case, I was a person who historically always had a generally very positive attitude to life. I was always into trying anything new.....and preferrably dangerous.
However, if I look back, I can now see some significant factors that I believe contributed to my problem arising. Some have been very subtle. For instance, I never realised the real need to surround yourself with as much positivity as possible. I made what I now consider to be a mistake by allowing myself to become influenced over a period of years by somebody who always looked at the negative side of life first. I always thought "well it allows us to come to a balanced view. His negativity will counter my over optimism and we'll get a good balance." While it could be argued that there could be a element of truth in this I now believe that any negativity is generally a bad thing.
Another factor was alot of good friends gradually moving away. You don't always realise at the time how much importance these relationships have on your state of mind until they are not there.
I won't go into the rest of what I believe caused my problem as it will be boring to go on about it all.

The point I wanted to make is that I think I was fortunate and aided in my recovery by a natural tendancy to look at the positive side of life. This natural tendancy had been interferred with through various mental and physical factors and so I guess I really had to find a way back through the maze to the positive approach again.

The "self" is a big one but I now have had my "lightbulb moment" on this and believe strongly that the "old self" we talk of is only a stepping stone to the here and now. We can only deal with what is in front of us now and use the "old self" as an aid to learning. Take the bits of the "old self" we still like and drop those that we now realise were working against us.

Ray, I know the exercise thing doesn't suit us all. You know what you are happy doing. I have always participated in sport and I do love it. However, I reckon everyone would benefit from doing some walking and yoga. I love the yoga now. It's as physical as you want to make it. I'd strongly recommend it mate but we all have to make our own choices as you say.

Well, that's it really apart from to wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Piglet
24-01-06, 13:40
The point I wanted to make is that I think I was fortunate and aided in my recovery by a natural tendancy to look at the positive side of life. This natural tendancy had been interferred with through various mental and physical factors and so I guess I really had to find a way back through the maze to the positive approach again.

The "self" is a big one but I now have had my "lightbulb moment" on this and believe strongly that the "old self" we talk of is only a stepping stone to the here and now. We can only deal with what is in front of us now and use the "old self" as an aid to learning. Take the bits of the "old self" we still like and drop those that we now realise were working against us.

Cheers,

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 24 January 2006 : 12:53:05</div id="right">

Gosh sometimes you just say it all so well!!!!

I liked all of that post and particularly the bit above.

Feel this is the way it happened to me also and the way I view it onwardly.

Lovely post hun and I am sure that will mean something to most:D

Ray - when I got scared of exercise and my heart stopping I did like you and walked then I moved to yoga and then to my little trampolene (supertramp) and the rest is history. One day that loft ladder won't be scary:D:D

Thanks boys for two good posts:D

Piglet xxx

Jenny
24-01-06, 14:27
I love the Yoga too Trev. I have just signed up for another 12 weeks. By the end of last weeks session I was totally and completly relaxed. At he end of the class when we lie on our mats and cover ouselves with a blanket I could have dozzed off.

Best Wishes
Jennyxxx

RobyBaggio18
24-01-06, 15:57
Just wanted to say that you have been a positive influence to many people on this site and I myself have taken in a lot of good advice from your posts.

Hopefully you'll stick around to keep that going.

Many thanks,

Mark

clickaway
24-01-06, 18:00
It's interesting that for many years I have always tried to look on the bright side of practically any event. Even something as traumatic as a broken romance can clear the way for new and perhaps better opportunities for example.

But in my case, and I'm not alone in this, I have heavy negative feelings embedded in my sub-concious which seem to affect me more when my mind is otherwise dormant at night. So as I'm going through a bad patch at the moment, I wake up with pins and needles, aches and tension, heavy eyes etc. which gradually recede as I step into the 'here and now'. I really only function in the afternoon and evening.

So my plan is extended therapy to clear out this garbage in my 'inner mind'. At the end of that I will not only be able to climb the famous loft ladder, but "build a house" as my psychotherapist puts it. Even five years ago when I was only having the odd PA, putting up a simple shelf was a big achievement for me, so I'm wondering if I will find such tasks as easy as they really are - something I have never really experienced.

I would like to start some Yoga, and I'm wondering how to get the appopriate teacher. I get an awful lot of muscular spasm and twitching and don't think I could cope with an ordinary class. Has anyone any ideas on this?

Cheers,

Ray

PS. My loft ladder actually has a screw loose - is there a connection here? ;);)

Piglet
24-01-06, 18:29
Ray - I think yoga would be a splendid way to stretch out those tense muscles.

May I suggest a dvd as a beginner way to see if you like it. This may give you confidence for a class then. I know the night school ones in my area always look quite good and are different classes according to ability.

The dvd I am going to recommend as a fairly safe way to start (it's the one I started with) is called Relaxing Yoga in the 'mind body and soul series' by Trish somebody or other. I got it off Amazon. I did grow out of it after a few months but now am quite happy to let the kids use this one as its not too bendy!!!!

It has a lovely relaxation bit at the end that I really looked forward to aswell. When I first started I found all of it hard, mainly cos I was checking that I was still alive after each posture:D.

I was amazed how quickly I came on though and loved it because it is totally non competitive and gentle. I can give you more recommendations if you decide you like it.

I would deffo support giving it a go and just taking it nice and slowly.

Oh and who cares about the stinky old loft - I only go in mine once a year with the Xmas decorations and I prefer mates who are kind than the sort that put up shelves (although I'll make do if I have to:D:D)

Will be sooo interested in how you progress with this hun.

Piglet xxx

clickaway
24-01-06, 19:24
Right hun, the the deed is done and have placed my order with blahdvd.com - its by Trish Smyth, spelt the posh way.

I already have some jogging bottoms so there is no need for me to go hunting for leotards, I'll leave that one to others.

I guess you need to practice every day.

Cheers, you're a gem [8D]

Ray

Trev
24-01-06, 20:04
Mark, glad it helped. I owe a debt of gratitude to others who have helped me. It makes me feel good to know that I may have helped others. That's what I love about this site. It's a great way of bouncing off of others and all pushing each other along in the right direction.

Ray, well done mate. You're right to hang fire on the loetard I think. Give it a few weeks :D
Just do what you are comfortable with. There's no right amount. Like anything, the more you do it, the more you will gain. In an ideal world I would love to do it every day but find your own happy level.
I think Piglet was right to suggest a DVD as a starting point.
I would suggest that once you are fairly happy with what the moves are you could maybe look at a group?
I go to one on Monday night and it's really chilled. The lady taking it is very into the spiritual side and is really comforting. There's zero pressure to do anything.
I go to others at the gym which are much more "functional" shall we say. They are very into doing lots of poses and don't do much on the spiritual side.
I love the Monday night one and it is quite nice to do it with others if you feel up to it. Going the first time is obviously the most difficult but once you are into the swing, enjoy!!
I remeber when I first started going to that class I was having panic attacks in the relaxation!!! I couldn't seem to lie still without pains in my chest, neck etc. Gradually that went. I think you'll find that some people at the classes may well be going through similar issues.

Well done Ray, I'm so pleased you have made the choice to give it a go. Be patient with it and don't judge yourself. Just enjoy it for what it is.

All the best,

Piglet
24-01-06, 20:52
Well done mate:D

Yoga is such a lovely way to relax and keep the muscles in tone all at the same time. I'm like Trev in that I prefer the more spiritual, gentle yoga rather than a keep fit version of it - but each to their own.

At first I did do it almost every day because I enjoyed the feeling of it all, now though I tend to do it 3/4 times a week.

It's an intensely individual practice really and I have gone from a charging elephant banging into the furniture with it, to being really quite graceful, even if I do say so myself.

I really do make myself chuckle at my first attempts, I just didn't seem to have any control over my limbs at all, they were always thumping down.

Please tell me (when you first do it) that it wasn't only me:D:D

Big hug 'poppet' :)

Piglet xx

clickaway
24-01-06, 21:11
Cheers both - you are such great inspirations to me.:D

I did try yoga a few years back. My firm organised sessions in our lunch hour, but how many of us can really relax in our lunch hour when two o'clock is always looming?

I hope you will nag me to keep doing it as without you I will probably just let it slide. Don't get me wrong, I will do it ay my own slow pace, but I need to keep the momentum up.

Thanks again mates

Ray

Piglet
24-01-06, 23:07
You betcha :D:D:D

Piglet xx

Trev
25-01-06, 08:44
Don't worry, I'm looking for a suitable leotard for you as we speak so you can't stop now!! ;):D

Trev
25-01-06, 10:36
Ray, lunchtime wouldn't be the best time in my opinion. First thing in morning or evening is best I reckon. Doing it in the evening means you normally sleep very well that night.

Piglet,

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">It's an intensely individual practice really and I have gone from a charging elephant banging into the furniture with it, to being really quite graceful, even if I do say so myself.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Have you perfected the "elephant banging into the furniture licking Pringle, sucking Malteser" pose yet? They always struggle with that one at my class. :D

Piglet
25-01-06, 11:22
Yes I have!!!!!!!

I usually do that position right before jumping through the shed roof off the trampolene:D:D:D:D

Noggin!

Piglet xxx

Trev
25-01-06, 11:49
Wow, your routine sounds pretty hectic. ;):D[^][}:)]
You should think about doing your own DVD.......maybe call it "Yoga Piglets Can Fly"? Or "Yoga Piglets At B&Q"? Unless you have any other ideas for a title? (And "Yoga Piglets Kicking Trev's Arse!" is not allowed!!)

Cheers,

Meg
25-01-06, 12:45
Ray

Just caught up with this thread.

Good on you for trying yoga.

Wheh I was acute I went twice a week- hated every second of it - kept making a bolt for the door but I know it made a huge difference to me and for that I am truly grateful. Then I really enjoyed it as I started to take an interest in the others around me and slowed up a bit and did it properly with all the spiritual stuff.

Eventually, I got chucked out in a very nice way,for messing around too much and not doing it properly or taking it seriously so I went to a more sporty version and then dropped it altogether and go swimming/ walking and assorted theatre nights out instead.

Let us know how you get on and we're all happy to comment on your warrior and head of cow pose- maybe we should have a skype or msn with webcam links evening ....

Umm have just tried a quick salute to the sun and maybe I need to go back just for the flexibility !

Love

Meg

clickaway
25-01-06, 13:33
Meg - thanks for your support, but I'm not a gizmo person so I think I'll skip the skype for now :D

Trev/Piglet - what about Piglates? :D[^]:D

Take Care,

Ray

Trev
25-01-06, 14:42
Piglates....lol. Like it Ray. :D:D I can see that catching on.

Piglet
25-01-06, 14:48
Don't even know what skype means:(

Piglates :D:D:D:D:D:D:D now that I like.

Piglet the queen of Piglates shows you her moves.

Actually my moves are really easy - just throw yourself around the lounge and break as many things as you can with a loose leg or arm etc[Oops!]

Piglet xxx

Meg
25-01-06, 14:55
www.skype.com

Piglet
25-01-06, 15:01
Ooh that's interesting does everybody do skype-ing then - why am I always the last to know!!!

:D:D

Trev
30-01-06, 23:04
Ray, have you done any Piglates or yoga? If so, how's it going?

Piglet
31-01-06, 15:42
:) Well????

Piglet xxx

ItWillPass
31-01-06, 19:57
amazing. Thank you so much for sharing Trev.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

Trev
01-02-06, 14:27
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Ray, you did say that Piglet and I should badger you...........so we're waiting mate. :D[^][:P]

All the best,

clickaway
01-02-06, 16:50
Trev - patience is a virtue :D:D

But I have watched the video. All I gotta do now is feel a bit more human again and get on with the hard bit....

Ray

Piglet
01-02-06, 18:02
You can do it hun - at the beginning just leave out any bits that you are not ready for. This isn't cheating this is sensible and totally in the spirit of yoga where you don't compete with anyone.

Hugs

Piglet xx

clickaway
01-02-06, 18:13
Cheers Hun,

I've been feeling rather tired the last few days and have a busy day tomorrow and Friday. I know I need to be fairly OK to kick start this thing off. I'll probably just start with the warm-up bit.
[8D]

Ray

Piglet
01-02-06, 18:27
I have too Ray - there are coughs and colds abound in our house and a few feminine predicaments this week, so I haven't done any yoga or leaping on the supertramp either.

No worries though always best to listen to your body or maybe not in my case, as mine always says "lay back Piglet mate, eat a little chocolate, lick a few pringles" and on those days the most exercise I get is turning the pages of the 'NEXT' catalogue [:I][}:)]:D

Piglet xxx

Trev
01-02-06, 22:03
LOL :D:D:D

You take it at your own pace Ray, you know when you're ill etc. We're just trying to nudge you in a friendly way!

I will say this though. We can listen too much to our bodies at times which may lead us to some of our worries. You know in your heart of hearts when is right but sometimes it's the getting going that is the hardest. I did need a little nudge from others and while it was not pleasant at the start, it did soon get easier.

One of the real attractions of yoga is that you can make it as passive or as active as you want..........lying on the floor is even a pose!!! Superb. :D

I've just come back from yoga tonight (only bloke again [:I]) so I'm off to get the leotard in the wash sharpish [^][:o)]

Take it easy,
Trev

feege
01-02-06, 23:47
Trev - what wonderful thread! thank you so much for sharing your story - it was probably the kick up the b*m I needed.... I have been locked in the 'just keep going and going' mode for the longest time and I think my wheels have come off and I am now going to actually really try and sort myself out. Your story made me think it was possible to get better so I can risk letting go a bit - if that makes any sense?

What a wonderful site - i wish i had had this 20 years ago when i first started to have the odd panic attack....

Thanks again - and keep getting stronger!

fee
xx

clickaway
02-02-06, 00:21

One of the real attractions of yoga is that you can make it as passive or as active as you want..........lying on the floor is even a pose!!! Superb. :D

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 01 February 2006 : 22:03:47</div id="right">

Great! Does that mean lying in bed is a pose too ? :D

Ray

Jenny
02-02-06, 09:59
Does this mean then Ray, that you wouldn't be up for the DVD I have just bought. Rosemary Connelly SALSACISE!!!!
As the title suggests its Sala Dancing with exercise. I love it.

Jenny xxx

Piglet
02-02-06, 10:30
I am such a poser :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Piglet xxx

Trev
02-02-06, 10:33
Fee, that's lovely to hear. I'm glad you have found renewed hope. :D
I've met several others along this little journey that are proof that you can pass through the other side. Keep believing yet have patience as rushing brings it's own setbacks.

I think I've said it before but I believe that getting over your fears is a bit of a balancing act. You almost have to totally not care what happens but at the same time care alot deep down, if that makes sense?
I found that I had to take an attitude of "so what" to nearly everything. "So what if I'm late?" "So what if I feel dizzy all day and I felt dizzy all last week?" I know how hard it is to actually believe this at times, but keep telling yourself "so what?" and gradually it does start to sink in.
Write down what could be the worst things to happen. I think that when you write them down you will find most are not really that important or don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, got to shoot.....client just arrived!

Cheers,
Trev

Trev
02-02-06, 11:35
Back again!!

Ray, laying in bed could be a pose.........as long as you are not laying in bed mulling over negative thoughts all day!!!! If you are focusing your thoughts on positive stuff then it counts. :D

Piglet, we know that mate!!!! :D:D

Cheers,
Trev

Meg
21-01-08, 14:23
I've had this thread brought to my attention due to someone else gaining inspiration from it and not remembering the thread at all I thought I'd refresh my memory.. There seems to be an awful lot about Trev's dress sense in here.

Now, we see Trev a lot these days as he's nearby and he seems to like the mayhem we live in and we love having him about cos he makes great tea and is wickedly good on the wii....

I can vouch however, that he now is the proud owner of a full Tuxedo outfit and he looks fantastically smart and dapper in it. We know, as Happyfeet and I escorted (frogmarched) him round our local city centre to get one yesterday as he is taking his girlfriend somewhere awfully posh for the weekend soon and this is the expected dress code for dinner.

We tried to convince him he needed to learn to waltz too, but he read the www better than we did and knows he has booked (purposefully) for the wrong night for dancing..

Oh and he's still doing good too, just back from yet another skiing trip.

Love Meg

Trev
21-01-08, 15:12
LOL. Yes, thank you for all the nice comments and for your help yesterday. I'd forgotten myself how much my dress sense came to people's attention!

I did feel a bit like I was 11 again and getting kitted out for my first day at school.........think Tom Hanks in "Big" and you get the idea :blush: :D
Yes, I was a bit gutted about missing the dancing evening but c'est la vie, you can't win them all :winks:

Skiing was fab again and bizarrely enough I bumped into a guy who we met in the hotel on the holiday that I mentioned at the start of this thread. He's now working for Neilsons as a ski rep. Coudn't believe the coincidence.

It's funny looking back on my old post now.

Thanks Meg for highlighting my new penguin look.

Cheers,
Trev x

Paddington
22-01-08, 10:43
i was reading this post and only just realised the time difference:wacko: i was so engrossed by it..what a wonderful idea to reserect it Meg:) It is inspirational..written b4 i joined..!And when i joined i was like the 'old trev' and now more like the 'new trev' which is the original 'old trev':wacko: Confused??I am!!ha ha ha!!No serioisly tho that list you compiled Trev..wonderful..and will be of use to me too..i do think that excercise..AGH I SAID IT:shrug: :shades: :ohmy: :huh: :blush: could help me make the final leap to freedom from fear..I met you Trev at trentham gardens..you were so kind..not that i was very responsive as i was terrified:ohmy: But i remember your quiet calm spirit..and it was lovely to meet you:flowers: I am so glad you made such a complete recovery and can now help iothers who find it hard to believe they will ever feel well again..i wont mention the fact that when you did the tree flying manly tarzan thingy at trentham that you were still wearing your leopard print outfit..lol!!:blush: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Trev
22-01-08, 17:05
Hi Paddie. Thank you for your kind words. Glad it helped. I haven't read this thread myself actually! I just responded to Meg's post. I'll have to go back and read what's in it.........you've got me intrigued!!

I remember very well meeting you at Trentham. You seemed fine to me!! I may have seemed calm but I was crapping myself as well!! However, I think sometimes we forget that it's only natural for most of us to be nervous when meeting new people.

I'm very glad to hear that you are now back to your "old / new / original" self. Confused? I am!! Good for you though on making progress.

Are you coming to Long Eaton?

Cheers,
Trev xx

Paddington
23-01-08, 11:43
ha ha ha!!yes all a bit confusing..read your thread mate..lol!!I cant believe you were unsure of yourself at trentham..but you are sooo right ..it is natural to feel uneasy around new people:) cant make the meet up it is my partners birthday.Never mind..the next one for sure:flowers: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

jodie
23-01-08, 12:54
hi trev

all i can say is wow

what a realy nice thread you sound like you are living life agane and in the way you want it to be lived :yesyes:

it has helped me just reading it and will help many more i am sure

jodie xx