PDA

View Full Version : The Worse Night of Panic ever - Help please

apricot
15-02-04, 14:31
Hi all,

Last night I had the worse panic ever in nearly 7 years.

A few weeks ago I went to the GP for some medication as I just felt so low after another bout of panic. She prescribe Effexor xl 75. I have been fighting with myself over the last few weeks whether to take them or not, ideally I'd like to get over this myself.

Yesterday I decided to take the efexor (must admit I felt a litle pressured by family saying these might really help you, etc). I felt fine yesterday, during the day, only a little nausea. But last night, I was actually in chat, when I felt my eyes didn't feel right. That set me of on the worse panic trip ever. I closed down the computer and went downstair with my partner, who is really brilliant.

As I sat there my stomach began to churn (My usual symptom which gives me an upset stomach), and then I got the really wierd feeling like cold water running through my body, it came over and over again in waves. I felt really awful. I began to pace the run, saying I don't know how I am gonna get throught tonight, I don't know what to do,etc. My partner was really worried. I felt like I was gonna go mad, I needed to be locked away. I couldn't do this anymore. It was just so intense.
I calmed down a bit and then went to bed, with these waves of cold water going through my body, I said to myself, your ok, it will go. I tosed and turned, in and out of sleep until about 4.30 this morning and then couldn't get back to sleep so I went downstairs. I put the telly on and burried my head in my pillow. I woke a few more times and made myself go back to sleep.
Well today I feel really bad. I never really wanted to take the tablet but as I am sure some of you will know, you get so low you think you need to, that they will help. I don't know whether this was the tablet, it was proberly me but I just feel so on edge and am fearing tonight. The kids have broke up from school and I am worrying how I am going to cope with it all, as my partner works. I feel shaky, stomach is unsettled, hot, cold, and really scared. And worse of all I am scared this has totally set me back big time. I know I have got over this before but when those big panics hit it is horrible. I really thought I was loosing it big time.

I am sorry I have rambled on but I need some help in making sense of all this, I have suffered for nearly 7 years and last night was the worse.

Thanks guys,

Nikki

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

Rennie1989
15-02-04, 14:51
nikki

i know who ya feel, the worse panic attack i had was at school, and i needed to get out incase peeps would think i was mad. my whole body was in a cramp and i was just about to faint, any way, do ya have any parents, do ya work, if ya have parents see them in your kids holidays or if ya work take some time of, if ya need to.

if ya have a panic attack, watch sumot funny eg cartoons or comedies, that works for me coz i totally forget about panic

jade

turn that frown
upside down

benoo5
15-02-04, 16:05
hi nikki,

the probability is,that its due to the medication...its quite normal,with these med to feel worse,before they kick in..your doctor should have pre-warned you about this,as the symptoms can last from a few days,to a few weeks...but if its possible to hang in there,you will get the benifit soon.

i would suggest,you either visit,or phone your doctor,and explain how you are feeling,and ime sure he/she will cut down the dosage,for a few weeks.

i hope you have a better nite,you survived last nite,and you will do the same tonite...take a walkman to bed tonite,and either listen to talk-radio,or play some calming music...i would also suggest having a glass of water by the bed,with rescue remedy in it.

hope this helps....best wishes...bryan.

Rennie1989
15-02-04, 16:10
also

watch sumot funny tonite eg cartoons, comedies

it helps

it stops ya thinkin about panic

jade

turn that frown
upside down

sadie
15-02-04, 16:22
Hi Nicki,

I can totally sympathise with you regarding taking Exefor as I too used to take it and it made me feel terrible for a week or so. However, once it had settled into my system I felt really good and so will you. You need to be strong and patient with yourself and keep telling yourself that it will get better because it WILL!!!

I felt my panic attacks got really severe for a few weeks but i COPED with it and so can you. They will not harm you in anyway...they are uncomfortable but they will pass. If after a few weeks you dont feel any better, go back and see your GP and they can see if there is a different medication that you could take.

As Bryan says, these type of symptoms and feelings often occur when taking these types of medications and your GP should have explained that to you... but I promise you things will get better for you once they have settled into your system.:)

I hope you start to feel better soon and keep in touch!

sadie

apricot
15-02-04, 17:03
Thanks for all your replies. I am still feeling very shaky, nervous and apprehensive about tonight - it seems it is always worse at night because you feel limited to help.

To be honest I don't think I will continue with the tablets. I felt so out of control last night, the tab was in my system and there was nothing that I could do to get rid of it.

My GP did not say that it would make me worse, all she said was to take the med with food, as sickness or feeling sick is a side-effect.

Thanks again,

Nikki

babs26
15-02-04, 18:45
Hi, I too suffer from panic, especially at night and also have 4 kids and am dreading this week as my partner works and I am having a VERY hard time coping with my kids at the moment. All I can say is hang on in there, you will get through it. I get the exact same thing, like waves of cold water going through my body, my heart races, I shake, I sweat, its awful and you do feel as if you are going to die. But YOU ARE NOT!!! have you tried breathing exercises to distract yourself? I find tv helps too, as it seems to take your mind off the panic.

I have also contacted my health visitor to see if she can get me some help with the kids ( mine are 9 weeks, 2 3 and 5) and she was really understanding and is looking into some stuff for me.

I doubt it was the tablets causing it, it was probably a nasty coincidence, and while I too dont want to rely on tablets to be "normal" (whatever that may be) they do help and you will find that within a week or two of taking them you will feel loads better.

hang on in there!!

Babs xxx

nomorepanic
15-02-04, 19:09
Hi Nikki

Sorry to that you were suffering. You should have said something in the chat room and people would have helped by talking to you and calm you down.

I am just the same with medication, as soon as I take it I start getting all the side-effects and feel rubbish.

I am not sure if I told you this or not but my panic attakcs came back very badly last year when I started taking medication for my blood pressure. It took me 3 attempts at different tablets until I found one that suited me. It may be the same with the medication you are on. It may not suit you - everyone is different. The doctor told me that the dizziness I had with the first lot of tablets was very rare - but I got it so there you go.

You are probably in a mind-set now that the drugs will cause you to panic each time you take them, the mind is very powerful.

If you really think that you need to take medication then go back to the docs and see if he can suggest something else. Otherwise, you will need to get over this without medication - which can be done!

I hope you feel calmer today and get a good night sleep tonight.

Take care ok?

xx

Nicola

Rennie1989
15-02-04, 19:29
i usually cant sleep durin nights, i just lay there tryin to attemped to sleep, as i have school in the morning. i play solitare in bed coz it gets me thinking and my brain workin

jade

turn that frown
upside down

apricot
15-02-04, 20:21
You lot are wonderful! I've had a couple of hours sleep on and off as I feel so drained and depersonalised. I am gonna have a nice bath and might see you in the chat room.

Thanks again,

Nikki

twister
15-02-04, 21:37
Hi Nikki

When I first took Cipralex I took them at night and like you experienced the worst panic attack of my life. The cold water feeling describes it exactly.

Anyway I went to the doctor in tears and he told me not to take them at night as it makes things worst. He also prescribed me valium for a week which really helped.

I went back on to cipralex a year later and this time I took them in the morning and things were much better.

I dont advocate the taking of Valium as it is addictive but for a week only it really helped me as it is well known that SSRI's make things worse before they get better.

Stick with it Nikki, the tablets have really helped me

Emily

diana
16-02-04, 19:49
Hiya Nikki,

Sorry to hear you are having a bad go at things. I know how we feel when we have "THAT WORST PA EVER" it seems near impossible that we will ever feel the same or "NORMAL" again, but we do. It takes time and trust in ourselves that we can, and we do succeed. Atleast in feeling somewhat normal, whatever that is LOL....... :). I think "NORMAL" for everyone is different. Although I know for myself, when I am starting to get on my feet and living life as "NORMAL" for me as possible. I`m not 100% sure that the feelings or the fears leave my thoughts totally, but I do know I am able to get things in order to progress ahead and ypu will to dear. Remember that always, You are not alone. There are loads of folks on here including myself that care about you!!!!!!!!!! :) and each other. So try to calm down try to do a list of the positives and the negatives of taking or not taking the meds. You will find an answer that works for you. I agree with some of the other posts regarding the meds. I think we all go through a bout of feeling worse before we feel better, but then again like some others mentioned it could just be a matter of finding the right dosage and medication for you. I do hope you are able to get some rest tonight. Post to let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

bluebirds2005
17-02-04, 17:57
i took exactly the same medication for the first time last night and exactly the same thing happened i thought i was dying but ill give it another go tonight and see what happens

g e j Atkinson

Meg
17-02-04, 19:01
It can take several weeks to settle on them and feel the ready brek glow feeling.
With some, it's worth halving your dose and building up gently.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...