PDA

View Full Version : Misunderstanding

Twilightchain
11-04-10, 23:54
Hi everyone, I've been a member here for quite a while now but haven't posted in the forums before. I'd just like to say that this is a great website and over the years it has really helped me understand and come to terms with myself!

I want to see what you guys think about the misunderstanding of depression by many people. To put this in context, I have been a sufferer of social phobia for at least 7 years now, and about a year and a half ago I also became depressed, and still am to this day. I became depressed soon after having gone down with glandular fever, and although many people I know are very sympathetic towards depression and make every effort to understand and tolerate it, there are others who frustratingly can't comprehend it. I am a university student, and my depression has gone down hill in the past month or so, to the point where I am considering taking a year out and just focussing on getting better instead. But I find it so frustrating when I try to explain this to certain people, and they tell me I'm just suffering the aftermath of the glandular fever, as if depression does not exist to them at all. And when these people are your parents, it's not particularly encouraging when they seem to think it's "all in your head".

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Or has any advice on how to explain the existence of depression to those who don't believe in it? Because I really don't know how I can possibly get better if my own parents are telling me I'm a nutcase..

rblt94
12-04-10, 03:10
you have to take control. those are the words that always come to my mind when my fears take over..and sometimes yes I believe those fears carry the burden of depression. everyone has their own feel of depression which can make it hard to relate. my parents have been the same way since I was just a little kid and it made me feel stupid and isolated but in the end you have yourself and you have to build on you and learn to trust that person..and through all you have been through I am sure you can. You can take that control.