PDA

View Full Version : Is pain under left ribs an anx symptom?

mom1982
12-04-10, 07:23
I've been having a dull pain under my ribs for the past month and it comes and goes and it's painful(bearable) and distracting. My doc said it's not the spleen so she's sending my for a CT. I've been reading up on the internet and apparently many people get this pain on the left side and all tests come back normal.

Is this a common anxiety symptom and has anyone had this and tests came back clear? What can it be? I'm not constipated but under lots of stress & the anxiety makes everything stressful.

spiral
12-04-10, 07:46
I get a pain there. I haven't had any tests but I know it's one of my anxiety symptoms as it goes away when I ignore it...

Maj
12-04-10, 08:03
Hello,
Yes, I think it is a symptom of anxiety. I had this for a while a few years ago. I saw my gp and she said it was muscular. I then went on to look through the internet and found that many anxiety sufferers have this type of ache/pain. Infact I read that this is the 'hypochondrium' area"!! I found this very reassuring and it eventually went!! I hope it settles down for you soon. Please don't worry.
Myra x

mom1982
12-04-10, 08:06
I hope so too! I'm too scared to go for a CT scan that requires an iodine injection. I hate tests or medication and because of my health anx, I usually don't do the tests doctors send me for or take any medication. Hope it's anx and nothing serious. it's a new symptom for me.

Cell block H fan
12-04-10, 11:34
I get it but not on the left, its on the right for me, not painful but a sort of sensation as if there is a lump there, then I start thinking liver! Grrrr x

Zee
08-06-10, 20:36
I found this thread on the search as its so near to my own symptom.

This afternoon, I noticed a bruised like feeling when rubbing one of the ribs on left side. It doesnt hurt and im not aware of it unless I touch it.. All I can recall is that I ate 4 mini breadsticks about half hour before I noticed it. Do you think this could be a trapped wind in rib area ?

Lauz
09-06-10, 07:15
I just posted something similar the other day.
I have had this feeling each day for the last month or so I think. It is dull and sometimes a little sharper at times but is just constant there. Yet like others have said when I am doing stuff etc and forget about it I don't feel it.

I too have read up on the net I know bad Laura BUT it seems to be something that has come up as a symptom of anx sufferers. Also would be a tad tender too from probing at that area.

I am going to the docs on Friday for another reason so I may bring it up then and see what they have to say about it.

anthrokid
09-06-10, 07:17
Heya, I get this too and in my case it is definitely anxiety related. The more stressed I am or the more I worry the more I feel it. It also happens when I'm not stressed, but my doctor and psychiatrist say that it's anxiety related and due to muscle tension. It could also be radiating stomach issues or trapped wind.

Zee
09-06-10, 08:00
I know what you mean about the probing and making it sore..Thats how it feels when rubbed, just sore. I cant remember overstretching but we dont always remember doing these things do we.

Horse
09-06-10, 10:10
I've been to A and E with this about 4 times now. The pain is under and seems behind the lower right ribs. All tests have proven negative, bloods, Xray, CT and ultrasound scans. I'm unable to work because of the discomfort and some days can only sit down, as standing and movement makes it worse.

They just give me Omeprazole and Buscopan and painkillers but the cause is a mystery. This is common with Anxiety.

sarah jayne
09-06-10, 10:19
It could be costachondritis ? x

piggywiggy59
09-06-10, 14:47
pain under ribs on the left side is a classic symptom of ibs ! xx

anthrokid
09-06-10, 14:58
Oh yes I've been told that too! Funnily enough I actually have a milk allergy too which give me symptoms very very much like IBS so that's probably where mine comes from. You just gave me a lightbulb idea piggy :)

Zee
09-06-10, 20:38
Thanks piggywiggy. Someone else mentioned that it might be ibs today. I have tum issues which I call a nervous stomach as well.

With ibs do you have to be feeling anxious to experience symptoms ?