PDA

View Full Version : MRI and Valium anyone?

Peter_Scott
12-04-10, 14:56
Hi,

My repeat brain MRI is looming and I want to make it as easy on myself as humanly possible, I suffer big time with claustrophobia.

Has anyone taken a couple of valium before the test, or can anyone tell me how you feel when you take valium, do you feel care free, less anxious? Or is it a bit like having too much to drink?

If it may help with my claustrophobia during the test I will ask my GP for a bottle of them when I see her this week,

Thanks, Peter

countrygirl
12-04-10, 17:20
I sympathise - I have had about 8 mri;s and I am terribly claustrophobic in fact its a good job they don't attach a hert montier to me in there or I would be on the cardiac ward with the fastest heartbeat ever recorded:)

I take a 5mg diazepam ( valium) about 45 mins before the scan at which point I feel like I have had a bit too much to drink- I have to say that as soon as I lay on that table the effects are negated by my terror but its worth a try. I really could do with taking more but when calm the effects would be so strong i would be all jelly legged. I find that I shut my eyes before I go in and keep them tight shut until I am out. I also wear ear plugs as well as the headphones for the noise.

My Dr is always happy to presc valium in snall amount for an mri so its worth begging for it!