PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline increase and university work

CK
12-04-10, 15:05
Hi guys,

I've joined No More Panic today, so that I could ask about something I couldn't see mentioned on the other threads. Apologies if I've missed something. Bit of my background - I'm 23, have been on 50mgs sertraline for depression since I was 20. My GP increased my dose to 100mgs a few months ago, as I had started having very low moods again - probably due to feeling isolated from living alone at uni (not by choice), work stress etc etc.

Over the last month or so I've realised that the increased dose of sertraline seems to have zapped nearly all my stress tendencies, alongside alleviating the depression. I know that the drug is for anxiety as well as depression, but I'm worried it's actually gone too far in reducing my stress capacity. I'm coming up to my final university exams this year, and have needed to write the majority of my dissertation during the past month. I've done far less work than I would have done pre-med days (in fact, I've barely started, and the deadline's around two weeks away) simply because I seem unable to feel in any way anxious! The most I get is a little hint of worry, which doesn't last long. All my life I've really enjoyed studying, and worked hard to get good marks in my school qualifications, so the current situation is completely out of character for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has found this with sertraline, and if they've found any solutions. I'm seriously considering appealing to the exam board at my university, because my newfound blasé attitude has meant that I've done so little work! I realise this sounds a bit silly, but I'm kind of worried that I'm going to fail my degree at this rate, at least unless I can argue that my recent work problems are the result of my medication, rather than of laziness.

Sorry for the extensive post! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! C

Angelai
13-04-10, 17:42
Hi. This is only my opinion and may be completely wrong, but:

Could it be the apathy that depression causes, rather than an inability to get stressed? I know from personal experience that depression can make you really not care about things, you lose interest in stuff. I know you've said that the meds have alleviated the depression, this was just a thought.

Can you see a doctor to talk it over? I'm sure your uni have procedures in place to help people through if times are difficult - they really want you to finish your degree with a good grade (it's good for their figures ;))

Well done on getting this far - you're nearly finished already!

oneofus
13-04-10, 18:16
If you are on any form of medication that may impact on our acdemic performance then you are strongly reccommended to advise your department of such. They can then take it into account. If you don't tell them then they can't. It's no loss to you.

What are you reading BTW, just being nosey as ever? Welcome on board in any case. Enjoy your stay.

one of us
BSc MSc PhD CLDick

CK
14-04-10, 18:15
Thank you both for your advice. I think approaching my Tutor about it is a good idea. I was reluctant to approach my university about it, mainly as I did so last term (although at that point it was in relation to my worsening depression and its impact on my dissertation work), and basically they didn't budge. At that point I asked if I could do a 4th exam paper instead of my dissertation. Although the diss is technically a course-requirement, I knew of two girls on my course who were doing a fourth exam paper instead of it. However, on closer investigation it appeared this was due to a cock-up on their Tutor's part, rather than it being within the rules, and I guess to avoid setting a precedent the board told me I couldn't take four papers and I'd have to write a dissertation! So yeah, historically they haven't been too sympathetic.

Still, I have tried to do it their way and write it, and perhaps as I'm not asking them to bend course-requirements they'll be more willing to help this time. Might see if going back to 50mgs helps me get some of my motivation back too. I know what you mean about apathy in depression, but as I am now capable of getting excited about shoe-shopping I reckon I've got my enthusiasm back!

Oh, and by the way, I'm studying Psychology. So many ironies there...

C

castrotroy
10-10-12, 00:23
Hi guys,

I've joined No More Panic today, so that I could ask about something I couldn't see mentioned on the other threads. Apologies if I've missed something. Bit of my background - I'm 23, have been on 50mgs sertraline for depression since I was 20. My GP increased my dose to 100mgs a few months ago, as I had started having very low moods again - probably due to feeling isolated from living alone at uni (not by choice), work stress etc etc.

Over the last month or so I've realised that the increased dose of sertraline seems to have zapped nearly all my stress tendencies, alongside alleviating the depression. I know that the drug is for anxiety as well as depression, but I'm worried it's actually gone too far in reducing my stress capacity. I'm coming up to my final university exams this year, and have needed to write the majority of my dissertation during the past month. I've done far less work than I would have done pre-med days (in fact, I've barely started, and the deadline's around two weeks away) simply because I seem unable to feel in any way anxious! The most I get is a little hint of worry, which doesn't last long. All my life I've really enjoyed studying, and worked hard to get good marks in my school qualifications, so the current situation is completely out of character for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has found this with sertraline, and if they've found any solutions. I'm seriously considering appealing to the exam board at my university, because my newfound blasé attitude has meant that I've done so little work! I realise this sounds a bit silly, but I'm kind of worried that I'm going to fail my degree at this rate, at least unless I can argue that my recent work problems are the result of my medication, rather than of laziness.

Sorry for the extensive post! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! C

Hi I'm Ahmad
I in medical college, last year I found manifestations of obsessive compulsive disorder fit in me
I consulted psychatrist who prescribed me sertraline
It was amazing last year , It gave me more power, good mode , made my mind clear...so I focused more on studying and got heighest marks ever had

this year I'm having ur same issue, I feel indiferrent though exam is less than 2 month far

Iam thinking about tappering the dose now and would consult a psychatrist
I think it is all about motivation.. u need some motivation to work,, and little anxiety motivates you

your post is nearly 2 years old I know.. just If you can please tell me about your experiment ..what did you do? what's your advice?