PDA

View Full Version : Weird pain when I cough or stand up

countrygirl
12-04-10, 17:25
I had flu about 3 weeks ago and had a terrible cough- well still have a cough but nowhere near as bad as it was. I noticed a few days ago that when I had a bad coughing fit I got a pulling sensation and bit of a pain where I have my appendix scar ( taken out 2 yrs ago and big scare) and today everytime i get up from a sitting to standing or raise my leg suddenly I get a fleeing sharp pain right where the end of my appendix scar is.

I am worrying that I have now got a hernia in that scar area from all the coouging - i am seeing my Dr tomorrow for a fungal rash and wonderedf if i should mention the pain???

Maj
12-04-10, 18:25
It could just be muscular, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't mention it to your gp just to put your mind at rest. Even if it is a hernia, don't worry too much. They are so common and not serious. I've had mine for 5 years!!
Myra x

guitarpants
12-04-10, 19:06
You should mention it but most likely it's from the chronic coughing. Since it's a scar area, the tissue there is a little less flexible/stretchy, plus it's an area that was weakened at some point. It makes sense for you to feel some discomfort there. Most likely there is nothing wrong though. But you want to get that cough taken care of.