PDA

View Full Version : Housework Anxiety

sketchyboots
12-04-10, 17:48
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else out there suffers from anxiety about getting the housework done? I seem to start panicking if things get messy and if I don't have the energy/ or feel to anxious to do the tidying up it really gets to me. I managed to do an hour of tidying up today, but didn't get round to polishing or hoovering or anything. I felt too anxious to put the washing out (we have a communal garden). My boyfriend who I live with is quite messy so this doesn't help. He works hard all day though and I only work part time (ironically as a cleaner -ha ha!). So I don't want to keep moaning on at him about it. I just need to get on and do it. I'm not really sure what the fear is - I mean what's the worst that could happen if I don't do any housework for week? Silly really - anyone else relate to this problem???:shrug:

Southern_Belle
12-04-10, 18:05
Hi,

Yes I can really relate to it. I found out that I was cleaning obsessively way into the wee hours of the night and the house was already spotless. After counseling, I found that for me it was a way for me to work out my anxiety. The more anxious I got the more I cleaned. I also (just me now) have a light case of OCD. I am now on meds and it helps a lot. I needed them because I would clean rather than spend time with my family so it was necessary.

Yours may come from cleaning other homes and leaving them bright and shiny and then coming back to yours wanting it the same but being too physically tired to do so. I would say if at all possible pick a day and the both of you clean together and it will get done in half the time. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Laura

mamatuz
12-04-10, 20:44
hello there you are definately not alone, i think it must be a female thing (sorry any good guys out there )ha ha
i am currently having CBT and one of the things that is causing problems in my household is that i want everything to be perfect but in the process of doing this i am making myself even more anxious and wearing myself out, i work full time and have my son who is nearly 5 years old so i do have a busy life but i am not making time for my partner and i. this alone causes resentment to build up.
my mum always kept everything ship shape and bristol fashion but she admitted to me not that long ago that it wore her out.

just try and focus on what is important, as you say the world will not come to an end if there is a tide mark on your bath hahah
i hope your ok

hugs ali xxx

sketchyboots
12-04-10, 21:24
Thanks for the replies - good to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. I'd love to know the root fear of being in a mess - maybe it's a control thing - I do have slight OCD symptoms. I'm the same with my car - if it gets too untidy and dirty I feel anxious - but it's impossible to keep things tidy and clean all the time. I think maybe it's something to do with my Mum. She is always on the go, cleaning and tidying and never sits still till late at night. I think I fear her coming round to mine and seeing the mess. She usually lets me know if she's coming round but not all the time. I have a bit of a fear of the doorbell going and having to answer the door too - we do have a spy hole which is helpful! Right, going to try and relax now and leave the washing up till tommorrow!

Ronny
12-04-10, 22:02
Hi, i am the opposite I get anxious about doing housework,I find it hard to do anything.I have a lovely lady that does it for me.It is a bit hard to do in a wheelie.:)
Rhonda xx