PDA

View Full Version : GAD And Amitryptiline

n07tv
13-04-10, 00:05
I've been diagnosed with GAD following 3 years of extreme stress. Symptoms are irritability, short fuse, can't sleep, can't concentrate, ringing in my ears and a feeling of being no red alert all the time.

I've tried many different solutions but the latest from the GP is 10mg Amitryptiline before bed. Been on it 2 weeks and have noticed no improvement at all. I am starting to go out again after a year of withdrawl, which is a good sign.

Like everyone, I wonder if anyone else is suffering the same and struggling with life without finding out why? Anyone had any luck with this medication?

n

guitarpants
13-04-10, 00:29
Been on it 2 weeks and have noticed no improvement at all. I am starting to go out again after a year of withdrawl, which is a good sign.

Isn't that an improvement?

Boxerharvey
13-04-10, 09:29
Amitryptiline has been the only medication that has made me feel better, I have tried most of the anti depressents out there and all have made me feel 100 x worse and I couldnt live with the side effects of not being able to sleep or eat and feeling like I could jump out of my skin through anxiety.

I suffer with anxiety and most of the symptoms that are mentioned on this site, the worse was the head aches, insomnia and depersionalization but after 2 weeks of being on Amitryptiline I actually feel like my old self again before I started suffering with GAD. I still have bad days but so much better than 2 weeks ago when I felt i was spiralling out of control again.

I first started on Amitryptiline 5 years ago when i first started suffering with what the doctors say is GAD and it helped me so much and after 2 years I felt confident enough to stop taking it, then about 3 weeks ago I hit rock bottom again as my GAD symptoms kicked in hard again and I went back onto the Amitryptiline and like I said above now 2 weeks later I feel like im getting my head back together.

Stick with it most medication takes 3-4 weeks to build up in your system, if your not experiancing bad side effects then stick with it.

Good luck and think positive.

n07tv
13-04-10, 10:19
NinjaXero,

You are right, that is an improvement, but I think down that is an attitude and behavioral change - me pushing myself rather than the meds.

Like BoxerHarvey I tried the SSRIs with bad results and this is such a frustrating illness as I never suffered anything like it before. All as a result of stress.

Buspirone was one I thought of trying.

n.