PDA

View Full Version : Bright Yellow Urine Terrified

BNCfan
14-04-10, 01:40
In February I was admitted to hospital because my urine was bright yellow and I was found to have malfunctions of my pancreas and liver and my red blood cells were abnormal. I was terrified as all the members of my mother's side of the family died of Pancreatic, Abdo, or Bowel cancer. I was given a CT scan, huge amounts of blood tests, kept in hospital for 3 days and eventually discharged and told the problem was due to an antidepressant I had been taking for only two weeks, LOFEPRAMINE, I was also told I had gall-stones. I seemed fine physically afterwards until Monday when I developed terrible abdominal pain which radiated up to my right shoulder blade, I was violently sick - which terrified me as I am Emetophobic. This morning my urine was bright yellow again and although I've been to hospital and had blood tests etc and they have discharged me my urine is still the same colour as it was when I was in hospital in February and I feel terrible. I don't understand why the hospital discharged me when I'm feeling so bad. I thought at first it all might be due to dehydration, but have drunk copious amounts of water and re-hydration salts and nothing has changed. I feel as though I'm looking down the barrel of a gun and the family cancer has caught up with me. I'm crazy with worry, but nobody cares or understands and I live alone with no family.

Lauz
14-04-10, 03:34
sorry your feeling this way but best advice would be to go back and get it checked again. there was obviously something there when you first went so no need to be scared of what they may say.
just go get it checked out which will give you peace of mind, no use thinking the what ifs will only get you more worked up.

guitarpants
14-04-10, 05:58
B vitamins will also make your urine bright neon yellow. Are you taking any?

oneofus
14-04-10, 07:54
BNCfan,

The symptoms you describe esp. the back pain are atypical for gallstones, and I believe urine may discolour as well. I could barely stand the one bad attack I had. You may also find the pain is worse when you lie doen than stand up (or vice versa I can't remember which) Not pleasant but treatable. Call NHSDirect for advice if you're in pain and go to yours doctors. NHSDirect were better than my docs, since the nurse had had the same problem.

I'm surprised they haven't whipped your gall bladder out already if they said you had gallstones. In any case pop along to the docs, and he should arrange a referral for you. Just choose a hospital full with good lucking nurses and doctors, mine wasn't and I'd hoped for something off MASH (hotlips, hawkeye, trapper sort of thing - get the DVDs if you need cheering up)

Regardless of this whatever you do keep off fatty foods, I've had friends in agony, rolling one the floor after one cream cake.

Best of luck

Peter_Scott
14-04-10, 09:45
Hi OP I am sorry you are not feeling well.

If the hospital discharged you then they must have thought there was nothing acute that needed doing, which is a good sign. Did they send you back to your GP for follow up, and what did the discharge letter say, this can at least give you an idea of what they think could be wrong.Bilirubin is the normal substance to turn our wee yellow, was your level high or normal.

It can be high for many reasons, stones, liver function, even if your urine is very concentrated your wee will look very yellow, good luck, Peter

blondie47
14-04-10, 11:05
I was also wondering if you are taking vitamins. My pee is always bright yellow because of it. Of course I never knew that was a bad thing. I've always heard urine that is brown or rust is something to look out for.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Cat80
14-04-10, 13:05
So sorry to hear you've not been well. I have illuminous yellow pee because I take B complex. I don't know if you take any or not?

rckclmbr
19-04-10, 05:06
Sorry to hear of all your troubles -- it is so frustrating when you know something is wrong (because you're feeling so sick) but they either can't figure it out or seem to dismiss it.

That said, I'm wondering - like other posters - are you taking a vitamin? My vitamins always make my urine fluorescent yellow because of the B vitamins.

I wonder if the two could be separate issues? The yellow urine the first time ... could it have been a coincidence that you're experiencing it again with these new symptoms? Because if it was due to the same issues that they found the first time, they'd have mentioned this and dealt with it. Like someone already said, the fact that they released you is a good sign that they didn't find anything too horrible.

But I'm mostly sorry about how you're feeling emotionally -- I understand how it is to feel like you're staring down the barrel of a gun.

Definitely understand that feeling well.