PDA

View Full Version : hi does anyone elses hav a fear of taking tablets

diddler
14-04-10, 14:41
hi i hav recently been prescribed amoxcillin for a dental infection, i hate taking any form of tablets as i hav a fear of them being in my system, does anyone else hav this x

Shanny
14-04-10, 15:05
Yes, I do.....mainly because of my fear of the unknown :) I think about what they will do to me once I have swallowed them, blah, blah, blah....but I have to remind myself that they will make me better and if this is for an infection....you've got to take them :)

gypsywomen
14-04-10, 15:10
yes you must take them they dont have sideaffects dont worry ,,

diddler
14-04-10, 15:12
thanks 2 u both, just hate the fear when i've took them x

Carys
14-04-10, 15:31
Yep, me me me. In fact only a week or so ago I posted about my fear of amoxicillin, which I was prescribed for - a DENTAL INFECTION lol. As it happens the worst I got was a bit of indigestion (which was more than likely caused by the fact that I kept taking it on an empty stomach as I was so stresed), but I imagined much worse than that and got myself into a right old flap.

diddler
14-04-10, 16:01
ha ha carys me 2. i gotta take another dose again soon and already panicing x

PUGLETMUM
14-04-10, 16:06
:)hi yep me to - but much better in the last couple of years - if you are unwell with infection its much easier to take meds i found, as really feeling poorly or getting blood poisoning is much worse than a few side effects - if you arent allergic - which youd know about - then its best to tolerate the side effects if there are any.

but id still be rubbish with taking antidepressants as they can have a bad effect on the way you feel completely - i mean if they dont suit you, you can feel horrendously bad.

at one time i couldnt even take vitamins! - for me as my mental state got better i got more confident and happier to take meds and to tolerate any side effects:D

diddler
14-04-10, 16:21
hi emmas, yeah im like that with vitamin tabs, and dont even like energy drinks, it was takin a diazipem that made me have the fear with how it made me feel, and i cant take anti depressants x

diddler
14-04-10, 16:24
and its good to know there int only me, i always feel stupid tellin docs and stuff

Carys
14-04-10, 16:37
My doctor said it made a welcome change from people coming in to see him and demanding anti-biotics ! lol

diddler
14-04-10, 16:47
you know he has a point there, and sum people ask for a diazepam because there bus was late

hannybun
14-04-10, 16:49
Me too, i mworry about side effects x

diddler
14-04-10, 16:53
hi hannybun, yeah i worry about side affects and that there in my system, and i also cant take the contraceptive pill x

annette1
15-04-10, 09:03
I had a huge fear of this when my GP prescribed anti depressants. I've always had a bit of a problem with meds preferring nature to take its course etc which I think comes from childhood memories of taking antibiotics when my mum had TB.
With antid's it was a different thing altogether I was so afraid of taking them thinking they were going to do me harm & just block out all that was making me anxious to a point of not being able to talk about my worries. My psychologist suggested an EMDR session to explore my worries, oddly enough I spoke about anything but meds. Two days after the session I started taking anti-d's & haven't looked back since.

Talking through our worries can be a great help, don't be embarrassed about it as i was
Gp's have heard it all before. Do you have a therapist you could talk to about this?

Ronny
15-04-10, 09:18
yep I do have a fear of taking tabs,But I can't get by without my Mothers Little Helpers:D

PUGLETMUM
15-04-10, 09:21
:)knowing i wasnt alone helped - which came by coming to this site! - its all part and parcel of anxiety - i have always been anxious but not always frightened of meds - i used to pop anything!!! - but after a bad reaction to prozac (i had taken it twice successfully before!) i just could not deal with the feeling of being out of control of yourself once you had taken the tablet - i also wouldnt take the pill - even though i dont smoke and am in general good health.

from what ive read though on here, and through talking to professionals (ask your gp anything, dont hold back, ask how long the med lasts in your body - they will be helpful - mostly) - unless you are allergic to something, you will only suffer side effects - these cannot harm you - unless they are intolerable, you may have to accept some side effects. if they are bad they can usually try another med that does same thing.

also meds have a lifespan in your body - if you are worried but want to tackle the fear, ask your gp how long before any effect wears off if you want to stop your med - obvioulsy you are advised not to stop some meds abruptly - but from my experience, 4 weeks of hellish side effects on an antidepressant that doesnt suit is worse than stopping it - mainly i would advise keep going to see your gp - i dont know about others but i can have an emergancy appointment every morning or afternoon at my surgery - if i was having probs now id be there as soon as i needed to be - dont worry about being a nuisance - theyg et paid alot of money and they do mostly care - i think its a small percentage that dont, and ppl suffering form anxiety disorders are as valid as anyone suffering from a physical problem - dont apologise for being anxious - it is damaging and disabling, demand to be treated with respect :yesyes:

diddler
15-04-10, 22:25
hi annette1, yeah i had a counsellor but he discharged me a couple of months ago, i suppose i know i hav to take em wen i need them, thanks to all of you for your replies, i really did think i was bein silly, u sort of always think there cant b any1 else with this fear, it does help to talk, and i also think it is worse wen u hav had a bad day in general, thanks again 2 u all x