PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Dizziness getting me down.

J.Peace
14-04-10, 16:09
Hello everyone.

This is my first post, though I have been reading these forums for a little while already. It helps to know that I'm not the only one suffering with strange, unexplained symptoms.

My anxiety started when I was 20. I'm 25 now. My main concern is that I've been getting dizziness and a floaty feeling all the time, every day, for almost a year now, along with near-daily headaches. I suffered from palpitations and skipped beats in the past, but these have calmed down lately.

The dizziness, however, is getting worse and worse. I'm a PhD student, but I haven't been able to work properly on my thesis for months. I'm frightened to admit this to anyone outside my family, because the competition for academic jobs is so fierce I don't want to seem weak, especially since I've been awarded funding for my work. But I can't concentrate on my reading, can't write for very long before the dizziness/headaches wear me down, and am falling behind with everything. I used to have such a promising future, both as an academic and as a novelist, but I feel like I'm going to have to give up on my dreams. I can't fight this anymore.

My dizziness is hard to describe. It's not like the room is spinning, but more like I'm floating or falling forwards, with sudden rushes or zaps in my head, and I also often feel like my brain isn't communicating properly with my arms, hands, legs.

I've had ECGs, blood tests, hearing tests, balance tests, eye tests, which all came back normal. I haven't had an MRI yet and I'm really worried that I have a brain tumour or something.

Sorry to off-load, but today has been a particularly bad day.

Hope everyone else is doing well, and nice to meet you!

diane07
14-04-10, 16:10
Hi J.Peace

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

bottleblond
14-04-10, 16:16
Hi there

Lovely to meet you too.
What you are describing is classic anxiety symptoms not that of a brain tumour. Over the course of my anxiety issues, i have imagined i have had everything from Cancer to a brain tumour.

I hope you get lots of advive and support here.

Take care

Lisa
x
:hugs:

AmyJane
14-04-10, 16:54
I get exactly the same feeling everyday it gets worse at night but i get a sense of feeling that im not quite with it and very spaced out i also have had tests and they have come back normal.

I fear all the time that i have a brain tumor or cancer but i think that is just my anxiety playing tricks on me iv been to a&e several times thinking there is something seriously wrong with me and had tests done.

I havnt suffered with this for long only a couple of months so it is all new to me and very scary it is very hard to get help with as people just keep telling me that im depressed and offer me antidepressants which i dont think i am and i dont want to take anything else i am taking propanol and have taken diazapam but they dont cure it just mask it.

Amy

BandianaBish
15-04-10, 00:01
I'm right there with you mate...(Infact the reason I logged on right now was do do a search for a similar thing:ohmy:)
I've only been a member for a couple of days, but I have a good feeling that this site is going to help quite a bit.

I feel that anyone with our conditions has to be well armed. Knowledge is power, and hopefully this site can empower us to battle our individual 'beasts' more effectively