PDA

View Full Version : World War 3 in our house with our cats.

SHYGIRLAJB
14-04-10, 18:54
Hi Everyone

Well basically, at the moment its like World War 3 in our house regarding our cats.

My fellas dad has died recently so we have taken in his cat. We already have to cats, aged 12 and 12 1/2 and this new cat is around 3 years old. hmmm.

It is very interesting, we have shut the new cat in our bedroom to get used to the move and to sort of settle down. She had everything she needed in our bedroom, well today we thought we would open up our bedroom and let her explore the house and see our other cats, well, ermmmm that was interesting, the new cat was hissing and spitting, fighting. hmm.

The new cat decided to come downstairs eventually and she saw the other older cat, and she hissed and spat at her, she hissed and spat at my mum and dad and then ran upstairs into my room again.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do and how long did it take for all your pets to agree. ???

Thanks. xxx

bottleblond
14-04-10, 19:27
Hi there

Cats are very teritorial animals. Your cats won't like a strange cat in their teritory and the other cat will be very defensive in a strange enviroment.

They will get used to each other but i am afraid it will take some time. Expose them to each other gradually. Keep food, water, littler trays seperate ect so each has their own and has everything they need in there own safe place.

They will hiss, spit and maybe have the odd fight but it will settle down.

Good luck
Lisa
xx

Bluebelle
15-04-10, 00:14
Cats are so much fun !
I had a similar situation and this is how we overcame it-we tied 2 cat toys on a string-one on each end of a long string - then slid the string under the bedroom door- so that when the door was closed there was a cat toy(tied to a string) on both sides of the closed door (joined by the string) and then let the cats play with the toys on their respective sides. When one cat pulled their toy the toy on the other side of the door would move and the cats were delighted!

This reduced the spitting and hissing and eventually we opened the door and they could still play and soon everyone was friends !

Good Luck !

JaneC
15-04-10, 01:29
Good advice above and hopefully things will settle own before too long. I've twice introduced new cats to the house along with my now 18-year-old (last time three years ago) and it was a bit wild at first, but we got there. Best of luck x

chrislot
15-04-10, 12:10
So clever Bluebell, I was going to suggest getting some good catnip, but I prefer your idea !!

Vixxy
21-05-10, 10:35
When I moved back into my parents house with my 2 cats, one of them would hiss and spit at everything. She eventually calmed down and it stopped. Its probably just stressed and acting out.

oneofus
21-05-10, 13:14
Cats are so much fun !
I had a similar situation and this is how we overcame it-we tied 2 cat toys on a string-one on each end of a long string - then slid the string under the bedroom door- so that when the door was closed there was a cat toy(tied to a string) on both sides of the closed door (joined by the string) and then let the cats play with the toys on their respective sides. When one cat pulled their toy the toy on the other side of the door would move and the cats were delighted!

This reduced the spitting and hissing and eventually we opened the door and they could still play and soon everyone was friends !

Good Luck !

Does it work with daughters? Not that my two aren't the best of friends but I could see it working with interesting results at the next party :)