PDA

View Full Version : Distraction techniques

beccam
14-04-10, 20:31
I am right in thinking distraction techniques are good right? Only I read somewhere its good to let the thoughts come and go but if I did that they'd never go away.

So anyway what distraction techniques do you all do when you feel the anxiety reaching its peak?
I got an idea from the show who dares wins about a week ago basically I make myself remember stuff like 10 singers who have had a Christmas number ones or 15 soap actresses it seems to work most of the time.

Meewah
15-04-10, 01:46
Hi

I feel Distraction is good until your anxiety symptoms subside and then once you have found a way to relax you should face your anxieties and dissolve them. I use meditation to relax and then start to visualise a situation in what has caused a Panic attack. It is not easy but once you face your fears in a controlled relaxed state they begin to have less impact on you.

Hope this makes Sense?

Mee

DavidJ85
15-04-10, 01:53
Distraction is good when peaking as I so far I've found no other way of getting out of it when it's at it's peak.

Best bet is to try and stop it before it starts. For example if an odd thought enters your mind and you feel it's not right and start to question it just think to yourself ah there's another useless thought. Laugh at it and carry on!

This doesn't always work but try to keep yourself from thinking about it all or it becomes a vicious cycle. Easier said than done I know and I'm still working on it!