PDA

View Full Version : mirtazapine withdrawl symptoms?

klynn141
14-04-10, 20:44
Hi, :) I'm new here and wondered if anyone out there had withdrawl symptoms similar to mine while trying to stop Mirtazapine? Any Advice ? How long did these symptoms last for you? Here's my story:

I have been on only 15 mg for about 8 months for anxiety. Due to the enourmous weight gain, eye problems and other wierd stuff, I am wanting to get off this medication . My psychiatrist said since its the lowest dose you can be on to stop cold turkey. I ended up cutting the pill in half for one week, then stopping it . I was as sick as a dog...extreme nausea from morning till night, chills, hot but no fever, felt very unwell, shaky, couldnt sleep at all. After one week of being out of work i said enough is enough and took my normal dose...and walla! symptoms disapeard!

I saw my psychiatrist again and he said some people are just very sensitive to meds. He said to cut the pill into very small pieces and wein off slowly like in weekly incriments. so i cut the pill into 4ths, I am on my second day now of taking 3/4 the pill, so about 11.75mg instead of 15 and today woke up so sick again. Extreme nausea, horrible splitting headache, eyes are all wacky, shaky, chills.... How can such a small dose do this to a person? THe psychiatrist told me most of the time people have no problems or side affects going off this med...but I seem to!

Thank you so much for any advice, I'm so frustrated and cant miss any more work because of this and am thinking of going back to my normal dose again tonight, just so i can keep going to work. I do have a call into my psychiatrist but i think he'll just tell me to ride it out. I just cant imagine someones body being so addicted to a medication to have these problems...ugh!

Kelly

Baggs
15-04-10, 08:51
I have recently stopped Mirtazapine and gone onto some new meds and, so far, have not had any withdrawals. Having said that, I have been addicted to some meds which were hellish to come off so I do understand how bad it can be. But I don't have any advice for you, just to wish you all the best. Baggs.

jaded jean
19-04-10, 06:36
Hi kln141.
I was on mirtazapine fo 4 months 30mg-this causes a stimulant efect. the 15mg dose you were on causes a sedatory effect prompting you to sleep better.I am now on citalopram. as my anxiety was breaking through.
best wishes JEAN