PDA

View Full Version : Ladies - Who is on the combined pill?

Lissy43
14-04-10, 21:55
I am on my 2nd week of the combined pill (loestrin 20), I started it midcycle as instructed by my GP, and am waiting to see if my first period will be lighter. I am taking it for heavy periods.

The thing is I never took the pill before I had children, I did briefly for a few months when I was 19 as I had bad acne, I was on dianette. I worry alot about the risks on the leaflet, DVT, heart attack and stroke, all pretty scare stuff and although I am taking it and coping alot better than I thought, these risks are always in my head. The reason I worry is that I have 3 young children, and I keep worrying if I died from some awful side effect of the combined pill then I leave my children without a mother, all because I wanted lighter periods (ok they are very heavy and my GP says I need to be on the pill for health reasons):blush:

I know it will sound daft,but I once watched a programme about a woman who suddenly dropped dead of a PE and the doctors were saying it was due to the combined pill she was taking, I guess that has always stuck in my head.

Those of you who are on it, how do you cope with the serious risks if you suffer health anxiety?

Also, do you find it has given you a much lighter bleed? I really pray it helps me.

Jo3016
14-04-10, 23:50
Hi Jessica

I went back on the combined pill after a 10 year break, 5 months ago.

After having almost 2 years of hormonal and menstrual problems after having my 3rd child (I had always been really regular up until then), the doctor prescribed microgynon. This one didn't work for me and just caused heaver bleeding so I went on to Yasmin. My periods are always the exact time every month and are significantly lighter.

I do worry about the side affects of the pill but my doctor assured me that it only slightly raises the risk of dvt ( and PEs are extremely rare). Infact, you are much more likely to get dvt whilst pregnant rather than on the pill and I got through 3 pregnancies with no problem.

Also, the combined pill does actually help to protect against certain gynacological cancers such as ovarian and uterine cancer.

Give it some time to settle. It took me 3 months but is great now.

Lissy43
15-04-10, 06:43
Thanks for your reply.

I really hope that the bleeding is much lighter, my periods were so heavy.

I have also had. 3 children with no problems so hopefully I will be ok.

Lissy43
15-04-10, 20:16
Anyone else any good words of advice?;-)

pink17
15-04-10, 21:09
Try and not worry jessica,iwas on the pill 10 years,i got a dvt but that was because i had a blood clotting disorder and i shouldnt have been on the pill,i didnt know got this disorder.Lots of my friends are on the pill like millions of other women and they have no problems.

Lissy43
15-04-10, 21:26
Oh dear, but good that you have made a full recovery and are ok now xx

pink17
15-04-10, 21:43
Yeh im fine now apart from having to wear a awful support stocking for rest of my life,not good in the summer,ha ha!dont worry about the pill though their is millions of women that take it!xx

Lissy43
15-04-10, 22:01
Thanks Pink, I shall try to relax;-)