PDA

View Full Version : About me

Cjo20
15-04-10, 00:58
Hi

I'm a type 1 diabetic with panic attacks caused by fear of hypoglycaemia. It started about a year ago when I went low in the supermarket. Next time I went to the supermarket, I started getting hypoglycaemic symptoms, and I kept on getting them whenever I went back. Over a period of time they got worse and worse, and occurred in more and more places. When I tested my blood sugar, the results came back as normal or high, but I just put the symptoms down to my blood sugar dropping due to exercise.

This continued for several months, with me only really leaving the house to go to work. 3 weeks ago, I started getting hypoglycaemic symptoms sitting behind my desk at work, bad enough that I had to go home. This happened for 3 days running, so I started doing some research and discovered that the symptoms of hypoglycaemia and panic attacks are virtually identical - they are both caused by the bodies adrenaline response.

After reading this, and speaking to my GP, everything started to make sense. I don't particularly want to go on medication for my panic attacks if I can help it, and my GP agrees with me. I have been referred to someone to try and help me find some coping mechanisms.

I have good days and bad days. I couldn't leave the house yesterday because of constant anxiety, but I managed to make it in to work today. I'm just hoping I'll start having more good days than bad.

nomorepanic
15-04-10, 01:01
Hi Cjo20

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

C xx
15-04-10, 18:49
Hiya,
Getting a gp's help and finding someone to talk to about helping you with your copeing sounds like a great idea.I'm sure soon you will have more good days than bad..as they say-it all takes time x

Vanilla Sky
15-04-10, 20:51
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

Cjo20
16-04-10, 01:10
Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to being able to get on the chatroom in 4 days time :)