PDA

View Full Version : "squelchy" noises in neck going to back/side of head anyone?

Blueeyed87
15-04-10, 10:26
I get squelchy liquid noises in my neck going to my head the base, my dr told me yesterday it was anxiety as it's been happening for a while I am just focusing on it now... Also happens when I walk fast... Except from my leg to my neck on left side of my body it doesn't hurt me and has happened for along while and now combined with dizziness I'm worried about blocked arteries in my head :( just need reassurance the dr is right and not just putting it down to anxiety cause it's very high... I'm dizzy all the time but I know it's anxiety related as therApist told me is number one symptom of anxiety and I know they r seperate symptoms that happen at the same time... Ct scan I had a month ago was clear as well as my blood and ECG frustrated I guess

countrygirl
15-04-10, 10:32
Ihave posted this many times so apologise for anyone who has read it already but it may help you with your symptoms.

I have severe health anxiety plus alot of damage to my neck - the following info applies to anyone with tense neck muscles from anxiety not just someone like me who has damage to neck so don't panic I am not saying you have awful neck damage:D

My neurosurgeon said that you have balance receptors in your neck muscles and bones and anything that affects the muscles ie plain old tension can affect the messages being sent to your ears by the receptors and you get low grade dizziness and also can get sudden vertigo.

Also how old are you as neck noises are common as you age due to wear and tear.

Where did you have the ct scan of???

Like you I was convinced about 8 yrs ago that my constant feeling as if I was walking on a bouncy castle with occasional sudden terrible vertigo was due to blocked arteries as I know I have a herniated disc and bad arthritis in my neck and was convinced this was crushing an artery so I paid for ultrasound of my arteries including the ones running up side of my spine and all was well even when I turned my head - i was told that if its pressure on arteries then you get drop attacks where you turn you head and bang on the floor so hope all this info helps you rather than scares you

Blueeyed87
15-04-10, 10:48
I"m 22 , the ct scan was of my head,dr said something like ct is clear so it can't be to sinister, I usally get the squelchy noises if I move my head side to side or oddly when my stomach is gurgling, I guess they have been around before I was dizzy or had HA never paid much notice except they were there especially the one that runs up the lenght of my body if I walk fast. I carry alot of tension in my neck so maybe this could contribute. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and advice.. Just so scared the dr is wrong... But then again they do know what they're talking about

countrygirl
15-04-10, 11:06
The biggest thing in health anxiety is that we can never believe a diagnosis without the tests to rule out our fears - like the problem I was telling you about with my neck and balance - I worried myself inside out for years about it being brain tumour - trapped neck artery etc etc and would not believe even my Gp explanation that tense neck for any reason could cause my problems - I had mri scans of head neck and ears, ultrasound of arteries but still worried until my husband got neck problems and bingo he had dizziness and vertigo as well!

anxiety causes your muscles to tense including your neck muscles and these then give exact same symtoms as someone like me with actual damage to the neck.

Yesterday I carried really heavy bag on one side only for a few mintues but I am not supposed to lift anything remotely heavy with my neck and spine problems and this mornign I was worrying about the pains in my back and chest on one side and under rib THEN I remembered the heavy bag being carried on that side but my health anxiety mind firstly had a heart attack or internal horrors before the real reason came to me!

Blueeyed87
15-04-10, 11:28
Yeah I can rationalise after I have my mini freak out but fear is still nagging at me, my dizzyness, icky neck noises go away completely if I'm not thinking about them, it's when I look out for them is when they are at there worse this alone should be enough for me to say ok it's anxiety but it's tougher than that. Good to hear that I'm not alone with jumping to conclusions because of Ha