PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom tooth removal.

Emz
15-04-10, 10:30
Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I'm having a really hard time at the moment. Tomorrow my husband is going to hospital and going to have all 4 of his wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic. I'm absolutly terrified that he is going to die. They won't let me stay at the hospital with him and I'm terrified I'm going to end up having a panic attack all on my own.

My Mum is coming up to visit whilst this happens but she doesn't understand anxiety at all.

Has anyone been through this and can anyone set my mind at rest? I'm on medication that doesn't really seem to do much atm.

lindajane1971
15-04-10, 11:26
Hi Emz,
I had a wisdom out last year but wasnt under a general. My kids have both had teeth out under a general though and it really is a quick operation, infact i seen it in a program on the tv just the other night and it dont take long at all. Of course a general anesthetic always comes with a "risk" it is an extremly small risk and is VERY rare to have a reaction to it though. I am sure that your husband will be absolutly fine. Its perfectly normal to be anxious about your loved ones having to have any sort of procedure
I dont know why they would tell you that you cant stay with him??? Ok you cant go in to theatre but if you have any sort of anesthetic as a day case then you must be accompainied by someone else and you are not allowed to go home on your own as you are still woozy for the rest of the day. check the letter from the hospital again.
You will both be fine xxxxxx

Emz
15-04-10, 11:30
Thank you for your reply. It has really helped. :) I'm just trying to convince myself that it is all going to be ok.

The letter says that I am allowed to drop him off but there is no waiting area for families so I have to go home and they will ring me when he is ready to be picked up. Its a bit annoying, I'd rather just wait in a waiting room and then have them come and tell me when he is ready. At least I can't freak out too much being around doctors and nurses. But alas it looks like I'll have to go up in a taxi with him, leave him there, get a taxi home, wait at home, get another taxi up and then bring him home in a taxi. Its all added stress that I don't need at the moment.

lindajane1971
16-04-10, 19:41
HI Emz,

how did you get on today???????

Linda