PDA

View Full Version : Cancer or Paranoia?

lu6686
15-04-10, 11:05
My periods have always been regular. To the minute almost. Now though, for the past couple of months they have become irregular. My period in March was a week late, took pregnancy tests, all negative. It did eventually arrive, but was light, clotty and only lasted 2 days. I know when I ovulate as I get really bad pains. So this month, I ovulated 3 weeks after my last period, instead of the normal 2. Well going by that, I should be starting my period on Monday, but yesterday I had very light red blood when i wiped. Thinking this was it starting early, I used a tampon. When it came to the time to remove it there was nothing. And still nothing today. I am absolutely terrified that I might have some form of cancer, and am going to go and get it checked out, but figured i'd see what people think on here first. As I said, my periods have always been regular, and now they have gone completely off the wall. Please help...I am so scared

countrygirl
15-04-10, 11:11
How old are you??? I started with wonky periods in my mid 30's after being rock on regualr all my life and it was scary - I got spotting between periods lasting from one to other etc and had all the tests then and nothing it was hormonal. By time I got to my late 40's (now) the past 5 years has been interesting to say the least - either no periods for up to 4 months then constant bleeding for 3 months - terrible ovulation pain lasting weeks to no ovulation pain for 6 months at a time. I have once again twice gone through all the not nice tests and everytime nothing wrong its hormones.

If you are under 30 then its more likely due to stress and you can safely wait a couple of cycles to see if it settles down, have you lost or pu on wait recently as this can cause havoc.

If you are older than this then most GPs would tell you to wait a couple of cycles before they pack you off to gyny but for you own peace of mind you could seeyour GP for a pelvic exam etc

it is scary when it first happens but I can say from experience that what I got in my 30's was peanuts to what happened in my 40's:roflmao:

lu6686
15-04-10, 11:14
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I am 23. I have put on weight, but that has been over the past year, and my periods have been rugular up until last 2 or 3 months. I have had stress, but again, nothing more than usual.

After the stuff with Jade happening at 27, I have constantly been scared of getting cancer and dying young. Sounds silly I know, but Im not happy with how my periods are behaving atm.

Could it be PCOS??

Emz
15-04-10, 11:34
Have you put on a lot of weight? I know sudden weight changes can make periods very irregular. Mine have gone haywire.

It could be PCOS or even stress. If you want to go to the doctor to put your mind at rest it might be a good idea, but realisticly I would wait a few months and see how your periods go.

Onwards & Upwards
15-04-10, 11:55
Hey!

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I am 23. I have put on weight, but that has been over the past year, and my periods have been rugular up until last 2 or 3 months. I have had stress, but again, nothing more than usual.

After the stuff with Jade happening at 27, I have constantly been scared of getting cancer and dying young. Sounds silly I know, but Im not happy with how my periods are behaving atm.

Could it be PCOS??

It could be PCOS, do you have any of the other symptoms, excess hair, hair thinning, spots especially around jaw and neck, weight around the middle?

Symptoms vary with everybody, I've just had a blood test for it and go to see doc next wednesday for results (couldn't get an appointment for 8 days! Argh!).

Interestingly, one of the ways to reduce the affects of PCOS is to shed a few pounds, so the fact that you've put a few on might have upset things.

I'm expecting the doc to say that I do indeed have it. I think it's been going on since I was at least 20, I'm 28 now but because my periods weren't troublesome and I've always been slim (size 12) I just thought I was a bit spotty and had a little too much hair (not a massive amount, I hasten to add!). It wasn't until recently that I even knew PCOS existed, so I went along to the docs and said "I think I might have PCOS" and described my symptoms and she said it's actually very common and she sent me for a blood test.

lu6686
15-04-10, 13:08
hey
I have always had spots around my chin, back and forehead, ever since i hit puberty. I have a lot of hair on my head, which falls out all the time. Rather embarrassing at times. But that is the only place it grows fast. I have always been overweight too. But in the last year I have put on 2 stone, even though my diet hasn't changed much...

I get painful ovulation, but that has been there since i was about 16.

I just don't understand why my periods would suddenly change when nothing has really changed otherwise...

Good luck with your test

KateRose
15-04-10, 19:12
May I ask, are you having regular sex? Are you on the pill? Don't freak out, but it sounds like you could have had a missed miscarriage. Do you think this could be possible?