PDA

View Full Version : Gallstones, Gastric Ulcer??? Anyone Having These Symptoms??

muzicdejay
15-04-10, 11:46
:lac:First of all this is my First post So "Hi To Everyone"!

Im A 36 yr old Male, Slim build, healthy diet, dont drink However smoke around 10 a day!
The first time i Had what i can only describe as "The WORST Pain In My Life" was Autum 2009, Id gone to bed, watched some Tv then started with a dull ache in my lower back, it started getting worse & i just thought it maybe how i was lying so i got up & stretched but then this God awfull pain came in the top of my stomach, in the center under my ribcage, I could hardley breath the pain was that bad & was doubled over!
Long story short my mum ended up ringing 999 to which i was taken to A&E where they took bloods & gave some pain relief, the pain lasted around 5/6 hours, blood tests were fine, sent me home said could be trapped wind??

Been fine since until around 5 weeks ago when i woke with exactly the same pains in stomach & back, didnt ring 999 this time but did end up the emergancy docs who gave me Peptac liquid & codiene, again it lasted hours but i wasnt quite as panacky this time.
Anyhow off & on ive had it about 7 times more over the last few weeks, go for blood tests today & have an ultrasound 30th April but im gettin so scared as to when the next bout of pain is goin to come & to what it might be???
I know this is probably making me feel worse with all the worry, ive lost around a stone & half in weight as im scared to eat most things at the mo & keep reading (Though i know i shouldnt google) these horror stories of others who ended up with pancreatitis.
The docs thing it might be gallstones or an Ulcer??
Just wondering if anybody here has had the same kind of pain & any ideas what it could be, Still another 2 weeks for scans & Im gettin sick with all the worry!

Thanks guys, So glad i found this forum, dont feel so alone with it all!

sara8100
15-04-10, 14:07
hi, i had my gall bladder removed last year for gall stone, the pain is unbearable and lasted for bout 1hour to two for me, morphine never helped although gas and air took the edge of slighty, the scan confimred gall stones, i lost 3 stone from start to finish, i only ever ate new potatoes fresh veg and that was it didnt dare eat anything else. after i had them took out i still get this pain if i drink orange juice, apple jiuce or cider?? dr's said its just acid but i doubt it, it thought i was dying with the pain!haven had it for a few months now as ia vid anything acidic! the gall stone pain was different to this pain, the gall stone pain was mainly under my right rib and in my tummy whereas this pain is in my tummy, could be a ulcre i suppose?? anyway i wish you all the luck with your diagnosis they are usually quick with surgery once diagnoses is done xx

oneofus
15-04-10, 14:21
Sounds like atypical gallstones, had them myself about three years ago. Though not as badly as you, so sorry to hear about that. Funny enough the docs thought I had a upset to the digestive system as well. It was NHS Direct who were the godsend.

When I called them the nurse who I spoke to fortunately, for me not her, had had the same. She told me to take 3 neurofen (600Mg which is higher than the normally allowable dose) and give it an hour. She was spot on, from rolling around in bed I was back upon my feet, so bored I had to go and watch Star Trek on the telly till 11 O'Clock that night. They finally whipped the gallbladder out about five or six months later, and warning hospital food is lousy!

The pain with gallsones occurs when the gall bladder contracts to recycle bile around the digestive system esp. when you've fat to digest since bile is needed to process fat. So keep away from cream cakes etc. It's a straightforward operation and the only likely side effect is that for about three or four weeks afterwards until your bile readjusts certain foods go through your system like a dose of salts, and a pair of running shoes can be vital :)

Hope you get sorted out soon.

muzicdejay
15-04-10, 17:15
hi, i had my gall bladder removed last year for gall stone, the pain is unbearable and lasted for bout 1hour to two for me, morphine never helped although gas and air took the edge of slighty, the scan confimred gall stones, i lost 3 stone from start to finish, i only ever ate new potatoes fresh veg and that was it didnt dare eat anything else. after i had them took out i still get this pain if i drink orange juice, apple jiuce or cider?? dr's said its just acid but i doubt it, it thought i was dying with the pain!haven had it for a few months now as ia vid anything acidic! the gall stone pain was different to this pain, the gall stone pain was mainly under my right rib and in my tummy whereas this pain is in my tummy, could be a ulcre i suppose?? anyway i wish you all the luck with your diagnosis they are usually quick with surgery once diagnoses is done xx

Thanks a lot for your reply! Ive been on the veg & Redy Brek oats, thats all i dare eat at the mo, Hope your pain gets sorted soon!
Thanks again, xxx:yesyes:

muzicdejay
15-04-10, 17:22
THANKS " oneofus " (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=27562)
Your replys are Much Appreciated, Never had pain this bad before!
So "neurofen" did the trick then? Docs give me codeine for the pain but dosnt seem to do much, ill get defo be gettin some neurofen & give those a try!
Yea Ive heard the opp is pretty straight forward & Tho really nervous as ive never had an opp before, if they find it is gallstones ill be soo glad to get it out!
Thanks again & best wishes to u!

Peter_Scott
15-04-10, 17:29
Yes gallstones sounds very likely, you should not be left in that much pain, If it was me I would go to the A&E and demand they refer you to the EAU clinic for evaluation,

Peter

muzicdejay
16-04-10, 19:27
Yes gallstones sounds very likely, you should not be left in that much pain, If it was me I would go to the A&E and demand they refer you to the EAU clinic for evaluation,

Peter
Cheerz Peter, been to the A&E 3 times over last month or so, (on 1st name terms with em now, lol) They do my bloods, give me pain relief but because i have a scan booked for April 30th they always seem very reluctant to do one! Bloods come back ok & they send me home!
Think its worse not knowing whats causing the pain & then ya feel worse as everything goes through your mind!
Cant wait for the scan, at least some sort of treatment can get sorted out even if it means gallbladder surgery, ill just be glad to start feeling normal again!
Thanks agian dude!

moybunny
03-09-10, 10:31
i have just come out of hosp after being diagnosed with gallstones, will be having my op in 4-6 weeks hopefully, i too am living off soup and porridge. Anything else just sits heavy and causes me agony. I ve lost 7 lbs in 5 days without even trying. I am on so many tablets i think im going to rattle in a minute. I have to go back and have an endoscopy as they think i have a gastric ulcer also so that should be fun, if they wont knock me out im not having it done lol.

dodo
03-09-10, 16:34
This post has just come back to the top, so how did you get on? Was it gallstones? Sounds a lot like it to me and unfortunately I am one of the pancreatitis horror stories so I won't wrote any more. Just hope you're in less pain now :)