PDA

View Full Version : has anybody tried acupuncture?

allergyphobia
15-04-10, 15:30
hi, i just wondered if anybody had tried acupuncture, and if so how they were getting on with it. the thought of it kinda scares me but i have heard some really great things about it, i almost feel like something needs to be righted within my body and maybe this could help.

thanks

suzy-sue
15-04-10, 15:41
I had a course for anxiety ...Although it helped relax me the effects never lasted more than a day .It wasnt any more effective than relaxation tbh .I ended up on ANTIDEPRESSANTS and a hole in my purse ...lol.Sue x

KK77
15-04-10, 20:28
I had this once and the following day I had the worst migraine in my life that ended me up in A&E. I didn't go back.

I think finding a good practitioner is hard and I know I may be biased but I think a lot of them are charlatans - charging a lot of money and doing very little - so please be careful and find one that has been recommended to you personally by someone you know.

amandaj
16-04-10, 09:56
ive had it lots of time and the experience is so relaxing, i also have th accupuncture seeds which can be kept in for a week you just press them when you are anxious , which was all day for me !!

allergyphobia
16-04-10, 15:30
thanks for replying amandaj, i was surprised to get a couple of negative things back when i have heard such good stuff about acupuncture. is it really just a short-term thing?

KK77
16-04-10, 15:50
I wouldn't say that my post was entirely negative, Allergyphobia.

It's all about personal experiences and I said that I'd advise people to get recommenations first. There is good and bad in all professions and based on my experience I'd just be cautious - I'm not rubbishing ALL Chinese medicines.

You appear to be upset or disappointed by my post by ignoring it, which is a shame.

suzy-sue
16-04-10, 16:02
pffft...:doh:

margaret jones
16-04-10, 18:27
Hi i had it for pain in my shoulder and upper back from my GP only 6 sessions and only left in for 10 mins due to it being on NHS it did help but at first i was in more pain

What are you thinking of having it for ??

Take Care Maggie

shyoldguy
17-04-10, 14:02
Hi,

I tried acupuncture from a couple of practitioners, not for emotional stuff but for some long standing muscular pain. I don't think it cured my problem in the long-term but that may well have been due to other issues in my life, so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.

However, I did feel relaxed during the treatment and I did feel more positive in the hours following treatment. Sometimes I’d also feel tired.

The needles are much thinner than the ones used for injections so won't hurt. When the practitioner put the needle in (probably best to look away if you are nervous) I found I either did n't feel anything at all, I felt a dull ache or I felt something like a very, very tiny electric shock. Once the needles were in I did n't feel anything.

I would definitely see if you can find someone to recommend a practitioner or else make sure the acupuncturist is a member an official body like the British Acupuncture Council. The one I saw was very honest and after 5 sessions we agreed to end it as it did n't seem to work for me.

Also, some osteopaths and physios use a form of acupuncture, but only in a limited form for a specific pain. A proper acupuncturist looks at the whole person not just where the immediate symptoms are.

Hope it goes well for you.

allergyphobia
17-04-10, 14:59
Hi All, thanks for everyones replies.

Melancholia77 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=23731) i wasn't intentionally ignoring your post i just replied to amandaj as she had had a positive experience and i guess that was something i wanted to find out more about.

I have had a cough for 6 months that they are not sure is asthma, may be allergies, may be thyroid, they are not sure.. i was thinking of getting the acupuncture as i find it very very hard to relax, am always a bit jittery and at the moment this is turning into a phobia of not being able to breathe/my throat closing....not good!

Thank you for everybodys advice and replies... I have been recommended somebody by a friend, I think i will wait until after my blood test next week and take it from there... :)

allergyphobia
17-04-10, 15:59
pffft...:doh:

???

suzy-sue
17-04-10, 16:51
When people have taken the time to write a post to you .Its really rather annoying to be ignored .By acknowledging just one person is rather rude tbh ....Makes you wonder why you bothered .Hence the later post .If you only wanted positive or success stories with Acupuncture it perhaps would have been better to say so ..Otherwise it looks like you only want to hear what you want to hear and disregard the rest ....I went to a very Reputable practitioner but it didnt solve the problem any better than relaxation .In fact the Relaxation techniques I learnt were more effective .It only costs you one payment for the cds ,where Acupuncture costs each treatment .After a course 6-8 you spend about £200..you also need further sessions to top up every so often .I was like you ,very optimistic about it ,as people I know had been sucessfully treated for different things .Anxiety in my opinion cant be treated sucessfully and overcome just using one Method .If you buy some decent relaxation cds Glenn Harrold does some good ones ,,You can use them more than once a day and it really helps more .Deep breathing techniques combined with this will teach you how to relax completely ,and save you a lot of Money in the process .SUE

allergyphobia
17-04-10, 17:08
Thanks for your advice Sue, as i am new to the site i really appreciate you explaining that to me, i did not mean to be rude to anybody and i guess like you say i need to have an open mind and also acknowledge everybody no matter if their answer is not what I was hoping for. I am going to look into the Cds now, thank you again. And thank you to everybody for taking the time to post.

suzy-sue
17-04-10, 18:13
Your Welcome ...:D Sue x

Lell71
06-05-10, 13:56
I would go so far as to say it saved my life. I was suicidal when I started treatment. You do need to find a good practitioner though. Any one using the 'school of 5 elements' training would be spot on.
I'm really sad to see so much negative feed back - give it a go. It won't hurt. And If you are in the UK, you can sometimes off set it with payment plans like HSA or Westfield Health plans where you can claim a percentage of your fee back. (Nope, I'm not on commission! lol!)
Good Luck!

allergyphobia
06-05-10, 14:17
Thanks for your reply Lell. I am in the UK, in the Midlands actually. Do you mean take out a health plan and go from there?

i am going back to the doctors today after another bad day and am really reluctant to take medication.

ammiemum
07-05-10, 05:04
i've not had acupuncture for my present problems but did have it to give up smoking 14 years ago-it was great didn't even get moody! not smoked since but got close to it recently more the thought of it than actually wanting one-if that makes sense, i was desperate for something to help relax a bit....