PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell......I googled!........HELP!!

pinkpiglet
15-04-10, 15:43
I'v been trying to battle my anx & depression and this week I have done pretty well i think. Not been a great day today though, my head feels foggy and I keep getting these random head twinges n pains. Feel tired even though i slept pretty well but my main concern is that I just walked into the kitchen and bent down to take some things out of the washer n got this really strong burning smell. Like paper burning!! I turned to my dad who was next to me and asked if he could smell it too. He said that he couldnt smell anything but my fabric softener. The smell was definitely there but it disappeared quickly. I am now panicking because i know this can be related to tumours. I havent helped things by googling it and all I've found is dreaded brain things, like seizures and tumours.

Does anyone else get this kind of thing????

Please please please i need advice x

allergyphobia
15-04-10, 15:47
you should never worry about a one off thing. that is my greatest advice. if you smell burning again when nobody else can, maybe it is something to look into. take care, breathe - there is probably nothing wrong with you, you may have a sensitive nose like i do and smell things all the time when nobody else can! smile, x

Cell block H fan
15-04-10, 16:59
I bet it'll be your washer. I was worried sick a few weeks ago at work because I kept smelling a burning smell, bit like burning rubber. Wasn't until later someone else said they could smell it, & it turns out roadworks were going on down the road!
xx

Peter_Scott
15-04-10, 17:33
I often smell things others do not, I would not worry. If you get things like migraines? this can also give you a raised seance of smell and you often smell something that is not there, so don't automatically think the worse,

Peter

oneofus
15-04-10, 18:21
pinkpiglet,

I'm sure it will be something in your washing machine, and I'd be a darn sight more anxious about that!

Speaking as a male of the species I must remind you that men are incapable of spotting anything to do with kitchen appliances that may require the use of a tool or even worse credit card.:)

guitarpants
15-04-10, 19:42
It's a sensory hallucination. Just like sometimes how you can think you see or hear something that's really not there. It's the same thing. It just happens sometimes. If you tell a neurologist they will usually jump on some sort of non-epileptic seizure thing (doesn't show on ECG). However, these things just happen. It's happened to me a few times during my life. It can be attributed to lack of sleep, anxiety, or anything else really. Unless it happens ALL of the time it can be easily ignored.

However IF, that was the case, it's easily treatable with anti-convulsants (which are also used as mood stabilizers btw), and people who are afflicted with a condition of this type make a dramatic improvement on medication, and their quality of life improves a great amount.

It wouldn't hurt to look into it with a neuro, and you can try the meds for a week if you want, it might help. My neuro wanted me to try tegretol for a week, I didn't. I'm trying some other things first, but I might give it a shot later.

It's hardly worth worrying about. You'll be fine.

Lissy43
15-04-10, 20:15
If it were to be related to anything more sinister you would know by now. I am sure I know what Dr Google said it could be but honestly don't panic. I have seen patients who have had these type of conditions and you would know by now honestly.

xxx

Cell block H fan
15-04-10, 20:25
pinkpiglet,

I'm sure it will be something in your washing machine, and I'd be a darn sight more anxious about that!

Speaking as a male of the species I must remind you that men are incapable of spotting anything to do with kitchen appliances that may require the use of a tool or even worse credit card.:)

LOL Pink :D

pinkpiglet
16-04-10, 00:11
Thankyou guys for your reassuring replies and yeah 'One of us' you did make me chuckle....alot!! lol
I normaly wouldnt stress and worry about such a thing but my anxiety as been hanging around for several weeks & When i just suddenly got this smell, totally unrelated to anything that was going off around me and all my windows were shut, my dad couldnt smell it, i felt very panicked!!! I hope it doesnt happen again.
Thankyou once more you lovely people. I will hold on to your advice x