PDA

View Full Version : sinus? really getting me down

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 14:34
i am having some extreme pressure behind my nose.. it feels like my nose is being pushed outwards and its so annoying... it comes along with pressure in my ears and head..
im so worried....

has anyone else expericanced this

gypsywomen
17-04-10, 14:36
100% yes had it a while now it gets me down worse in the morning makes my ears ring ,had diff nose stuff but still here worse in the morning i sympathise with you

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 14:41
thank you for sure a quick reply... the pressure or trapped air is terrible atm... there is no mucus or blocked nose thats what im confussed about and makes me think it isnt sinus..( even tho doctor said it is.. and the ear popping is due to fluid behind the ear drum etc)

my anxiety has made believe i have a brain tumor also dr.google..which i may add i have goggled pressure behind nose in sinuses and i found nothing:( ....it is getting me down loads...

gypsywomen
17-04-10, 14:47
the only thing that help is putting my head bowl of steaming water with towel ,i dont have mucus but when i do this it flows free ,you could try

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 14:49
ah thank you for the tip :)

so you have had nose pressure and head too?

gypsywomen
17-04-10, 14:50
oh yes it even makes me feel light headed its not nice

allergyphobia
17-04-10, 14:50
hey i've had this before, i took some sudafed pain in sinus medication i only had to take one tablet and it completely stopped - i think it was a bit of a virus or something, don't you worry... i don't think you can feel a brain tumour and it certainly wouldn't come on overnight i don't think :)

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 14:59
helllo allergyphobia..

im taking sudafed atm i have been on it for couple of days and the pressure is still happening..
the whole brain tumour fear has been there for about 4 months its horrible..

the doctor gave me blood tests and checked my movement and eyes and everything was notmal.. said it was all anxiety just this whole sinus is one more thing to worry about with the whole brain thing...

allergyphobia
17-04-10, 15:02
Which sudafed are you on? I took one that was specifically for sinus pain, i think it is a new one.

Have you considered it might be hayfever? I have very bad allergy to tree pollen and this makes my eyes very sore and dry which can hurt all at the front of my head... also remember to keep really hydrated, lots of water! I would definitely recommend steaming too - don't just say you will do it (which i often do!!) actually do it, in the morning and at night, it's quite relaxing too! :)

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 15:05
i got sudafed max for sinus....

i got some herbal hayfever too... i was thinking it was that but i havent really had much mucus.. i sometimes wake up with water eyes but not that much its just extremem pressure behind my nose and working up to my head its like someone has a hans either side and is pushing against my head :( and i have fluid sometimes dripping down the back of my throat..
i have baught some stuff that u put in hot water and i usually use it 3 times a day with a towel over my head.. but still this blood pressure!!!

allergyphobia
17-04-10, 15:13
sounds like tension headache in that case.... from anxiety..... do you think?

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 15:15
i think it might be that and sinus...

gypsywomen
17-04-10, 16:45
around my eyes get red to on cheekbones

guitarpants
17-04-10, 19:49
I'll try to help, I've been experiencing this for 8-9 months now. Pressure in my head, feels like there's weight on my head, something heavy in the center of my head, heavy head, sinus/nasal pressure, forehead pressure feeling. I know exactly what you mean.

I've seen tons of doctors. There is no obvious evidence of sinus infection, though I may have had one a few months ago. I do however have a badly deviated septum and sinus polyps/cysts. This may or may not be contributing to the symptoms though. Sudaphed did not help me (you need to get the one with psuedoephedrine, not phenylephrine if you try it), nor did prednisone. Right now I just started taking Nasonex, which I took a few years ago, it's good nasal spray, better than Flonase, just more expensive. I'm going for allergy testing. I have ringing in my ears also and I have very dry eyes at night. My Doc believes I may have developed allergies over this past year, and it may be related to my new apartment. We have noticed mold here. I very well may get better if we were to move. I'll let you know how things work out.

Now, onto the neurological and psychiatric aspect. This can happen also due just from anxiety. I don't know why, doctors don't know why, if just happens. And for a lot of people, it goes away after they are on anti-depressants for a while. The reason it's tricky is sinus problems cause anxiety and vice versa. They are miserable.

As far as neuro, forget about diseases, and tumors. I've had a ridiculous amount of imaging studies and tests done. Everything shows that I'm very healthy, except for my deviated septum and those small sinus polyps. My neuro did find some evidence of viral and bacterial infections that can be chronic and could cause some issues too. I'm also being screened for Lyme Disease. Right now I'm on a course of doxycycline for a month as a precaution (antibiotic). Most likely the stress and anxiety I've been experiencing this year disabled my immune system and I got overrun by infection.

So, if you want peace of mind, go get some tests done. See a ear/nose/throat doctor and maybe a neurologist or just speak to your GP. Try a course of antibiotics along with a good nasal spray like Nasonex. Sudafed can be great too (pseudoephedrine). If that doesn't make you feel better within a few days/weeks, then I'd try an anti-depressant if you aren't already on one. Ask about allergy testing.

Your trigeminal nerve innervates your scalp, sinus, nasal, and jaw region. So, if you have sinus inflammation or infection, you can feel it in your jaw and scalp, top of head, etc. Doesn't seem to make much sense, but that's how it goes. That also goes for anxiety. If for whatever reason that nerve becomes inflamed, or hypersensitive due to anxiety, etc, you will feel discomfort in all of those areas as well even if you don't have sinus problems. Doctors don't know why, no one can give any sort of explanation. I have a feeling that is why all of the head and jaw muscle tension (clenching) comes along with anxiety and depression. Lowered levels of Serotonin could affect how your nerves report back pain and discomfort. Actually, it's a fact that serotonin plays a big role in pain sensation. So, basically your nerves can have a lower threshold for pain and discomfort. This would explain all the aches and pains depressed people get for no apparent reason.

This stuff can make you feel extremely messed up, and the neurological symptoms they cause are real. BUT, they are also harmless. It's nothing that is going to disable you or kill you. You will be fine in the end, just be prepared to possibly deal with it for a while until you get better.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 19:54
arent sinus polyps/cysts really bad??

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:11
arent sinus polyps/cysts really bad??

No, most people have them without even knowing it. Especially small ones. They are only a problem if they get large enough to block mucus drainage. Even then, they are easily fixed with a 30-45 minute sinus operation.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:13
oh thank god. see i was thinking it was linked with something terrible google has told me i have sinus cancer or a brain tumour becuse of the pressure pr trapper air feeling behind my nose...

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:20
oh thank god. see i was thinking it was linked with something terrible google has told me i have sinus cancer or a brain tumour becuse of the pressure pr trapper air feeling behind my nose...

If that were the case you'd be in excruciating pain, not simply discomfort. You would also have obvious neurological problems that your doctor would pick up on. Our bodies are more resilient than you think. Oh crap, I forgot to add before, try a Neti-pot, they are fantastic.

Muscle tension can cause these feelings too. take a look:

http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:29
im hearing alot about these neti-pots i will see if i can get one here in uk..
what exactly do they do...

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:39
Basically just a nasal irrigation system. Warm saline water goes in one nostril and out the other, rinses your sinuses. Best thing I've used in a long time. It doesn't hurt, burn, choke you, or make you feel like your drowning like you might imagine. It's quite comforting. For some people it single-handedly cures their sinus problems.

This is the one I use, but just search amazon for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neilmed-NasaFlo-Neti-Pot-PLASTIC/dp/B0023CVW1E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1271532781&sr=8-5

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:40
i just watched a video on it.. it looks bizzare! and my parnter also just said its so bad for you psh... :(

annette1
17-04-10, 20:48
Have you considered that you may have Bruxism, this is clenching or grinding of the teeth due to stress/anxiety. Last year I convinced myself I had some terrible problem with my jaw, I was having daily headaches, pain in my sinus, teeth & jaw bone. My dentist did some tests -xrays, then made me a gum shield which stopped me clenching my jaw & teaches you to keep your teeth slightly apart. I was also shown some exercises to relieve the pain. After a few months of wearing it I was almost pain free, taking anti-d's for anxiety means I am totally pain free now.

It might be worth a chat with your dentist to rule this sort of thing out, the shield cost me £40.

annette1
17-04-10, 20:54
just watched the video too.......... I think I'll stick to tissues!

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:55
Neti-pot will not harm you in any way. The only thing negative I've ever heard about it is that it may make sinus infections worse if you use it long term. That means every day for years. I don't know anyone that does that, and there is no evidence to suggest it. It's probably because it works better than most drugs and the pharmeceutical companies aren't making that profit from sinus sufferers as much.

As annette1 stated, bruxism can be a factor too. Pay attention to how often you clench your jaw. You will be unaware of it most times. I do it too.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:59
you would believe how i have been going on a bout my jaw to my partner! i am constantly thinking its moving or going to fall off! would that also cause pressure behind mynose?!

guitarpants
17-04-10, 21:03
you would believe how i have been going on a bout my jaw to my partner! i am constantly thinking its moving or going to fall off! would that also cause pressure behind mynose?!

Haha definitely. Funny how you didn't mention this before. That right there could be causing all of your problems. (Check your private messages).

chrislot
18-04-10, 00:24
I found that acupunture controlled my sinus probs really well, but now I am fully cured, as long as I take my prescribed vitamins everyday. I was treated by a Pfeiffer Research Institute trained Dr for anxiety and depression, and this also cured my eczema, sinus probs and a host of other things. My dx was, histadellia, pyroluria and copper overload.

madeuprolemodel
18-04-10, 00:42
Haha definitely. Funny how you didn't mention this before. That right there could be causing all of your problems. (Check your private messages).

i didnt the my jaw problem was a big deal as i know its part of anxiety. i dont grind my teeth i know that..