PDA

View Full Version : should i trust and let go?

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 16:01
As i have posted before about the brain tumor fears..
i am scared my doctor is wrong.. is this stupid....
she told me it was all anxiety and i should just relax...

i have had blood test work...
and also she has checked my eyes, ears etc..
and also gave me a series of test such as sounds.....
pushing with my hands feet and also strength in my hands and feet.

walking and also puting my index finger from my nose to touch her finger in different places in a fast speed...

should i just get on with it and think if she saw something she would of referred me to a neurologist...

someone help.

suzy-sue
17-04-10, 16:10
Yes you should hun ..Your DR would definately have sent you for further testing ,even if she only suspected something wasnt right .Its more than her job and reputation is worth to not do so ..Its only your Anxiety making you doubt her ...Try to accept and move on ..LUV Sue xx:hugs:

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 16:13
thank you so much sue for your positive comment! i have only doubt from reading other posts about people saying doctors just flob you off and dont really pay much attention...

suzy-sue
17-04-10, 16:27
Something as serious as that or any life threatning condition,you wouldnt be fobbed off ,.Something would have shown on the tests you had Hun ...Now go and have a lovely w/e ...:hugs:Sue xx

nikkinik
17-04-10, 18:59
Hi,

I can perhaps see why other people say you get fobbed off (not that Ive checked any other posts to see whats been said).. Im guessing, and going partly by my own experiences, its because half the time I get treated like a hypochondriac!

Ive had many tests over the last 3 years.. and ecg, or ekg, who knows, the heart monitor(!), an ultrasound on my abdomen, one last year on my bowels, an x-ray of my stomach, various blood tests, and some other stuff (no MRI or CAT scans though!), they all have come back negative, so the first thing they say now it 'Oh. Well youve had a lot of tests done havent you.. Hmmmm, dont you suffer from anxiety..' then thats it, out the door. Half the time they dont bother to think about anything else with me now, they just tell me its anxiety, or ask me how its been, even when I say my anxiety has been ok they still say its that!
HOWEVER, the last one I saw, a locum, was wonderful. He did all the things you mention.. Touching me all over on each side testing my feeling, having my lay on the bed and move my head - sitting up then laying down, looking to the left then right etc etc, he checked my glands, checked my tonsils etc, had me touching his finger like you said, he tested my reflexes, how hard I could push him with my legs etc.. He was the most thorough Ive known any GP be with me..

I went there with dizziness, losing my trail of thought, not being able to think or get my words out, losing my balance etc.. He said I didnt have an ear infection, I hadnt had a stroke etc. But he was nice, he spent 30mins with me (usually Im shoved out the door after 5), and I think listening to other people that guys, like that Locum, are a rarity.

Did you ask/mention a brain tumor, if so Im sure she wouldve been looking for signs of that too.. As it was I didnt mention MS (which is what I think my symptoms are! As so many others do!) as I was too embarrassed.. I really wished I had though, then I wouldve had my mind put at ease, as it was he was looking for an ear infection or stroke mainly!

Im sure that if your GP had any worries what so ever that you had anything awful she wouldve arranged a further check-up at the hospital. If you really cant rest then go back and ask for further tests, but I think you can trust her on this one! :)

..If only I could do the same! lol

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 19:18
nikki,
first of all thank you so much for your reply!
you are so right about the doctors. i went to two before and they said it was anxiety. and i was over weight ( like i couldnt tell myself lol)
and also i mentioned i had quit smoking and drinking caffeine they weren't impressed nothing just thought i was a loony bin.

the new doctor.. is lovely and she did exactly the same tests and you just said ... well not the laying down bit tho but oh well.. you are right though if she did notice something im sure she would of said anything...
i went back to her two days ago still with the same worrys but she just ignored me.
i guess they don't understand... also i have some terrible sinus problems at the moment which isnt helping.. no snot or any yellow stuff people mention just some extreme pressure behind my nose.. she said it was just allergies and i have fluid behind my ear... tuh

will we ever get better and rest!?

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:09
Neurological problems are usually pretty obvious. Those tests your Dr. gave you are designed to catch any neurological problems. If any of them were abnormal, your Dr. would send you to a neurologist for a more specific examination.

So, a leap of faith is in order. (I wish it were that easy).

Do you want to waste time, and your life worrying about something that may not even exist, or would you prefer a higher quality of life free of fear right now?

It's easy and it's not at the same time. Just let go of it all. Worry when you have something to worry about. Just say the hell with it and live your life. If a problem of some sort comes up later, deal with it then. I can speak for myself when I say, I don't want to get old, and look back on all the time I wasted worrying about nothing. We all get sick at one time or another, and some people do get disease. If you do at some point in the future, you won't regret anything. But right now, there is nothing to worry about. I think you may find that if you stop worrying and living in fear, you might improve a great deal.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:11
you are completely right and i am trying to get past everything!

it is a big wake up call at the same time...

im just sick of all these fuzzy head feeling

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:17
you are completely right and i am trying to get past everything!

it is a big wake up call at the same time...

im just sick of all these fuzzy head feeling

Me too, believe me. I was sent to a neurologist and they didn't really find anything. Anxiety IS a medical thing. It's not an imaginary magical problem that only exists in the mind like a lot of people think (even doctors). It affects your physiological function to a great extent. Hormonal, neurologically, etc. It will degrade your immune system then you will get sick. It causes a great deal of problems. In order to get better you have to let go, change your thinking, and possibly make some large changes in your life.

I'm not just spouting a bunch of nonsense either. I'm still suffering, but I'm slowly getting better. I'm in the process of trying to change a lot of things. Once you get in this place, you feel stuck. It takes a lot to get in this rut, and it takes even more to get out, just like when you get your car stuck in the mud. It's never easy and there is no quick fix. If you spin your tires, you will be stuck forever. Let CBT, maybe anti-depressants (I don't like them either), or anything else you feel as necessary be your new traction.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:22
ninja you are deffinetly great at giving encouragement thank you so much..
i asked about cbt and get this..... 6 month waiting list! but i will go ot my uni and see about counceling... i have ben giving citlopram and diazepam by two diff doctors... i didnt want to go on meds as i know i am stronger than that and i prefer a drug free life...
have you found any way to chill out?

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:37
Look it this way, everyone experiences anxiety and depression at one time or another, EVERYONE. We just let it overcome us. There are a lot of reasons for that and I won't get into it here since it's lengthy.

People who seem happy and carefree actually ARE healthier. "Healthy mind, healthy body". Emotional well being has a huge factor on a person's health. Here's another way to look at it, if you can improve your mood, and reduce your anxiety you are making yourself more resistant to disease. You will feel better, and be healthier. You'll get sick less often and be more resistant to cancers, and everything else.

Unfortunately depressed people and worriers do get sick more often and end up with disease more often as well. It's just the truth. Anxiety and depression destroy your body's defenses.

CBT is important, and I hate meds. If you want to do it drug free, I fully support that since it is what I'm trying to do. But if you do, you need a good support system, CBT, counceling, and a plan. Diazepam can be a great help, but it is only meant for temporary use for the bad times, and it will not make you better in any way in the long term. It will make you feel nice and chilled out though. I was prescribed Xanax, which is similar, and I like it. I take a very low dose and very rarely though. I like how it relaxes me a bit. Keep in mind these are addictive though and should not be taken often or long-term. They will make you worse if you do.

If I don't improve on antibiotics and such, I'm going to give Lexapro another shot. SSRI's are a bitch, I'm not gonna lie. But they help a lot of people, and they can turn things around. I wouldn't discourage you from taking one. It's possible you can have no side effects, some people don't. But if you do, they can be unpleasant at first. For a lot of people they don't work, and for a lot of people they are life changing. Unfortunately you don't know until you try them. Sometimes you do need a little help getting out of the rut. And these are not meant to be taken forever.

Yoga and meditation are awesome. I fully endorse them both. Get a massage, read some books, get some sunlight. Play some video games. That's what I do to chill out, and it works.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:44
lol i also try and play video games to help me relax but now cod is a little bit to intense! and gets me all racey! i will have to kick it back to some ocarina of time. and just relax.
you are right.
thank you :)

guitarpants
17-04-10, 20:51
I can suggest some really good books sometime if you'd like. I've been playing MW2 a little too often lately myself. I'd probably do me some good to get more exercise.

madeuprolemodel
17-04-10, 20:57
tell me about it i spent bascially 24 hours online playing mw2