PDA

View Full Version : Doctor google has me FREAKING OUT right now

benjamin222
18-04-10, 15:12
I know I shouldn't have done it. I know it's stupid. Right now I'm having a persistent cough coupled with chest pain... I googled cough with chest pain and I get a bunch of pages about pulmonary embolism. Then I look up what that is and BOOM!!! Flood of fear. I'm freaking out right now.

Clair
18-04-10, 15:47
I understand your concern but please trust me when I say that if you had a pulmonary embolism you'd really know about it. I know this because I worry about having them all the time but I have a slight genetic predosposition to them.

My Dad has two dodgy genes which means that he develops clots really easily. We first found out about this when his leg swelled up to twice it's normal size (DVT) and he nearly collapsed (pulmonary embolisms). From what I understand from the doctors and his time in hospital... normally embolisms are small parts of a DVT that have broken off and travelled to the lungs therefore, you prob would have noticed something else. Also, my Dad had the most terrible pain and coughed up blood too.

Sounds like you're having normal anxiety pains but if you're still worried call NHS direct. Hope I have helped and not worried you even more! xxx

benjamin222
18-04-10, 18:35
Thanks! Yeah that definitely helps. I know what I'm going through is just my anxiety, it's definitely not what you're describing... I'm not coughing up blood or anything. But still, my physical symptoms and emotional state are just kicking the shit out of me right now with daily panic attacks. By the way I'm from the states, and you have no clue how lucky you are... I've racked up a huge bill just from visiting my doctor about 10 times over the last 2 months. It's ridiculous. Honestly this is the LAST time I ever try to quit zoloft without health insurance. As far as people to call... haha I don't think we have anything like an NHS direct, but there are tons of really good toll free panic attack hotlines, both national and local, that have really helped me through some tough nights.

pammy1944
18-04-10, 18:39
look up the CITA website .....they got me off zoloft ....... they are a wonderful organisation and are free .......good luck

smpomeroy
18-04-10, 22:02
also bear in mind if you have a persistent cough that its probably putting strain on your muscles around your chest so that probably why it hurts - I had a cough for three months int he summer and it was like someone had been punching me in the chest.