PDA

View Full Version : horrible set-back

Louise2009
18-04-10, 19:06
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate any advice on this. Do other people find that a confrontation or trouble of any kind really makes their anxiety worse? I have been doing really well, and have been feeling like I'm much, much better, just starting to get my life back on track. I started a new job on Thursday (which is part-time), and when I got home I was subjected to some very abusive un-called for behaviour which completely devastated me so much so, that I did not go to the voluntry work I had planned on friday. I felt so shook up and still do not feel right again. I am not sure what to do because I feel trapped at home here.

I feel hopeless again and weak. Do other people find that the same sort of things, can set them back so much or is it just me??

Thanks

Louise:weep:

gypsywomen
18-04-10, 19:09
no its not just you ,,i think stress and like you a verbel attack would cause anyones nerves to be bad ,,your not alone ,,dont give up your job you did very well going dont let this stop you xxx

ASH65
18-04-10, 19:13
yes yes yes yes !
i can be bed-ridden and sorrowfull after confrontation,it can really set me back honey,i cry and somehow it seems to reflect other trauma that i have experienced.be kind to yorself and take your time to recover.
love ASH x:flowers:

Louise2009
18-04-10, 20:19
Thanks so much for your replies. Ash, I am the same as you - yesterday I slept all afternoon because I felt so upset and tearful and today too, I slept all afternoon. And yes, like you it reflects other trauma I have experienced. :weep:

eternally optimistic
18-04-10, 20:48
Yep, Im like that.

I will stand my ground if I have to but really dont like any confrontation.

You are NOT weak Louise and well done on the job.

sue.b
18-04-10, 21:27
Me too, I can stand my ground but the after effect is sky high anxiety, so you are not alone Louise. Don't think of it as being weak, I think its just we are more sensitive to confrontation and the effect of the extra adrenaline.

Take care

Sue :hugs:

crazyhayz
18-04-10, 21:54
i get bad anxiety and panic blips whenever i get really stressed (i.e argument with someone). Its natural as the body releases more adrenalin when we get stressed, hence why anxiety can creep back in! i blipped last wk and i feel much better now, but im not building my hopes up, i always have a week here and there where i feel better then BAM its all back again, but then il be fine days after. Its no annoying. And very hard to cope with. But ul be fine hunny, just take it slowly and dont rush things that arent important. keep strong and dont let it beat u :) chin up x

daydreamer
19-04-10, 18:47
Hi Louise.

I used to be able to deal with confrontation but these days anxiety coupled with very low self esteem/lack of confidence has meant that everytime I am confronted by a situation I feel threatened by I end up panicking.

Well done to you for starting the volunteering, please stick with it. Sounds like being out of the house and doing things will help you build up your confidence and also will mean you have less time at home, which from what you said in your post can only be a good thing!

You are not weak, probably just a very sensitive caring person, like most anxiety sufferes are :)

Maj
19-04-10, 18:51
Louise you are definitely not alone in feeling worse after confrontation. Any arguments, confrontation, etc. makes me feel absolutely awful and I go over and over it in my mind. I can't just put it behind me immediately after it happens, I dwell on it for ages!! I keep saying that I'm going to change but it hasn't happened yet! That's what happens when you are sensitive and caring. I don't see it as a sign of weakness though, so please don't beat yourself up about that. Some people are just to aggressive, hostile and up themselves that they like making others lives a misery!!
Myra x:hugs:

Clair
19-04-10, 21:45
Yep, I really don't do confrontation of any sort and even get extremely anxious if there is any kid of confrontation that has nothing at all to do with me. I've been afraid of it since I was little but don't know why. Read on the Mind website that if you suffer this kind of anxiety assertiveness training can help so think I'll be looking into that. Can't hurt! x

Louise2009
19-04-10, 22:41
Thanks so much for these replies - I'm so glad that it isn't just me who feels like this. Even though a few days have passed, I still feel a bit shook up from the confrontation and have lost a lot of confidence. Yes Clair, assertiveness training might be a good idea.

Louise x

RichW
20-04-10, 01:48
i get bad anxiety and panic blips whenever i get really stressed (i.e argument with someone). Its natural as the body releases more adrenalin when we get stressed, hence why anxiety can creep back in! i blipped last wk and i feel much better now, but im not building my hopes up, i always have a week here and there where i feel better then BAM its all back again, but then il be fine days after. Its no annoying. And very hard to cope with. But ul be fine hunny, just take it slowly and dont rush things that arent important. keep strong and dont let it beat u :) chin up x

Good to hear you're back on track Crazyhayz

I''m only 6.5 weeks into citalopram 20mg and over the past week I have been improving daily but seem to be blipping today and yesterday :weep:. Feeling a tad anxious for almost no apparent reason. Hoping to get better soon.

Cheers

Rich