PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLS..Pedicure and risk of HIV..please help

kitn77
19-04-10, 14:00
Hi

I am female, 32 and suffer health anxiety.

I went to a spa on Friday and had a manicure and pedicure..I was so de-stressed and enjoying it until the Nail Technician cut my toe whilst trimming my cuticles..it bled a bit and it stopped and I put antiseptic cream on when I got home it appears fine but I am worried sick about the possibility of HIV or Hepatitis C after I bled..I don't have these conditions (I got tested for all of this when I had my last physical with the Doctor and I am happily engaged and don't engage in any high risk activity) but I'm worried that they didn't sterilise the equipment properly before they used it on me and the person before me had HIV or Hep C and if it had blood on it, it went into my cut and has infected me...I'm in such a state over it, I can't eat or sleep. I saw the Technician disinfect the foot spa but not the manicure tools...am I being paranoid? I googled this and it came up with all kinds of scary stuff that it is a possibility you can get this.

I am beside myself and really need some advice. It is my birthday in a week and then the week after I am getting married..it's supposed to be a happy time and what turned out to be an afternoon getting some pampering it's turning into hell. I know I can't go and get a HIV test for 3 months so what am I going to do till then..I'm so scared...pls anyone help me. I already suffer from health anxiety and I don't know what to think..pls help

Thank you

kitn77
19-04-10, 17:22
Thank you

I know I"m probably being so paranoid..google can be so scary especially when you already have health anxiety..I know I just have to try and put it out of my mind. I rang the salon/spa and they did tell me that they disinfect the tools in a solution after each person..I just hope they did with me after she cut my toe. My toe is very sore now..I have a slight ingrown toenail and after reading google apart from HIV, Hep C it says about Staph infection which I know is not good..I've been putting antiseptic ointment on it for a few days and it looks ok...

I just feel so ill with this..I"m sick of health anxiety, it ruins your life. Last week I had IBS and thought I had ovarian cancer..so I went running to the Doctor only to be reassured it is indeed IBS which is made worse by stress.

Thanks for your reply..sometimes it just helps to type it out and have someone "listen".

ems1987
19-04-10, 18:14
Don't worry you won't have got anything from that, it happens all the time!

Peter_Scott
19-04-10, 19:25
Hi OP,

I hope that you are feeling somewhat better.

As another poster has mentioned it is very very unlikely that you have picked up either. I remember at the hight of the HIV scare I picked up a used needle from a car park, I know it was silly but I picked it up wondering what it was, and it pricked my thumb! I was sure I had got HIV.

I was tested, and fine, but the nurse said at the time that the chances of me getting it where so small that I was more likely to win the lottery.

Try not to worry, you will be fine,Peter

kitn77
19-04-10, 21:02
thank you all so much, you've helped me feel a bit better. I know I probably sound like a paranoid idiot but health anxiety is a horrible thing..I just want to live a normal life and not be obsessing about every little thing to do with my health..I just hope I can get it under control soon and enjoy life.

For now I"m just going to enjoy my birthday and enjoy my wedding and keep believing I'm ok.

Thanks

kitn77
19-04-10, 21:05
I will definitely come back and try to help others too..it's a great site because we all understand about it and don't think we are "crazy".

Thanks, hugs to you all!